Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk has a cracking weekend schedule

Options
  • 23-11-2013 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Saturday

7 - Documentary
    8 - Under Covers - Presented by Henry McKean; documents everyday life, relying extensively on vox pops
    9 - Best of Pat Kenny
    10 - Futureproof - "Latest developments from the world of Science and Technology"
    11 - Down to Business - As name suggests, and more SME/Entrepreneur-focused than RTE's The Business
    13 - Talking Point with Sarah Carey - Round-table discussion
    14 - Off the Ball - Sport
    18 - Picture Show - "Movie news, reviews, interviews, profiles, movie history and stories about trends in cinema."
    19 - Global Village - Focuses on social justice and other issues
    21 - The Green Room - "Behind the scenes of popular culture with the arts, movies, interviews and live music"
    23 - Futureproof (repeat)

Sunday

7 - Talking Books - Reviews, discussion, interviews, readings
    8 - World in Motion - "An hour of the most pertinent stories in world affairs"
    9 - Best of George Hook
    10 - MindFeed - Norah Casey "asks a series of thought provoking questions of an eclectic panel"
    11 - The Sunday Show - Politics-focused round-table discussion
    13 - Off the Ball - Sport
    18 - Documentary
    19 - Talking History - Wide-ranging history show
    21 - The Marc Coleman Show - Frequently heated discussion show with polemical host

Last time I looked at the schedule, there was a significant amount of repeatage. Now, though, the whole weekend is original content, and genuinely competes with Radio 1's schedule.

Newstalk has obviously identified that, of the ten most listened-to shows, half are on the weekend. I particularly admire that many of the shows have a specific remit: whereas RTE reviews films as part of its catch-all arts show, Arena, Newstalk has the Picture Show.

Futureproof, Global Village, MindFeed, and Under Covers have no equivalents on RTE; Talking History is superior to its competitor; and other shows, such as Marc Coleman's, offer something refreshing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Is that you Denis..??

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

Futureproof, Global Village, MindFeed, and Under Covers have no equivalents on RTE;

Because no station in its right mind would want to emulate 3 out of thiose 4 shows. Futureproof is alright.

7 - Documentary - As often as not, a repeat.
    8 - Under Covers - More repeats. And, as if that wasn't bad enough, presented by Henry McKean. Spare us all.
    9 - Best of Pat Kenny - Fair enough, worthwhile.
    10 - Futureproof - Happy with that, fair dues.
    11 - Down to Business - Bobby Kerr. Christ save us all from Bobby Kerr. Brutal.
    13 - Talking Point with Sarah Carey - Can't take her seriously. DOB's lackey. DOB's perjuring lackey. Get off my radio.
    14 - Off the Ball - Good good. I never object to a bitta sport on the wireless.
    18 - Picture Show - Grand, I can see the need.
    19 - Global Village - Worst show on Newstalk, and that's saying summat. As imbalanced as the tower in Pisa, the few times I had the misfortune to hear it. All Irish are racists, okay?
    21 - The Green Room - Not mad about it. Mixes the interesting with the plain boring.
    23 - Futureproof - No problem.

Sunday

7 - Talking Books - Never heard this, but there's a need for a book show.
    8 - World in Motion - Also worth a listen, Shona Murray's decent and deserves a bigger job IMO.
    9 - Best of George Hook - No problem with this either, some stuff is worth a second run.
    10 - MindFeed - The inane ramblings of Norah Casey and her box of pre-recorded comedy sounds. Woeful, woeful stuff.
    11 - The Sunday Show - Coleman is good, but the show is often truncated due to...
    13 - Off the Ball - One live PL match is good. Two is pushing it. Three is taking the piss. Especially when the 6 teams involved are Crystal Palace, Fulham, Stoke, Sunderland, Norwich and Hull. For me this is grand, I like soccer but God help them that don't!
    18 - See above.
    19 - Talking History - Excellent show. Wonderful stuff. A credit to Geoghegan and to Newstalk. One of their best.
    21 - The Marc Coleman Show - The contrary, spluttering codger, his arguments are frequently off the wall but always enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Your post gave me lots of laughs.

I should stress that I still believe Radio 1 is a good deal superior. I was merely highlighting how much Newstalk has come on.

I don't think one needs to like a show/presenter for it to be worthwhile. The second most-listened to show in Ireland is Liveline - the show, and the presenter of which, I cannot stand.

7 - Documentary - As often as not, a repeat.
    8 - Under Covers - More repeats. And, as if that wasn't bad enough, presented by Henry McKean. Spare us all.
    9 - Best of Pat Kenny - Fair enough, worthwhile.
    10 - Futureproof - Happy with that, fair dues.
    11 - Down to Business - Bobby Kerr. Christ save us all from Bobby Kerr. Brutal.
    13 - Talking Point with Sarah Carey - Can't take her seriously. DOB's lackey. DOB's perjuring lackey. Get off my radio.
    14 - Off the Ball - Good good. I never object to a bitta sport on the wireless.
    18 - Picture Show - Grand, I can see the need.
    19 - Global Village - Worst show on Newstalk, and that's saying summat. As imbalanced as the tower in Pisa, the few times I had the misfortune to hear it. All Irish are racists, okay?
    21 - The Green Room - Not mad about it. Mixes the interesting with the plain boring.
    23 - Futureproof - No problem.

Sunday

7 - Talking Books - Never heard this, but there's a need for a book show.
    8 - World in Motion - Also worth a listen, Shona Murray's decent and deserves a bigger job IMO.
    9 - Best of George Hook - No problem with this either, some stuff is worth a second run.
    10 - MindFeed - The inane ramblings of Norah Casey and her box of pre-recorded comedy sounds. Woeful, woeful stuff.
    11 - The Sunday Show - Coleman is good, but the show is often truncated due to...
    13 - Off the Ball - One live PL match is good. Two is pushing it. Three is taking the piss. Especially when the 6 teams involved are Crystal Palace, Fulham, Stoke, Sunderland, Norwich and Hull. For me this is grand, I like soccer but God help them that don't!
    18 - See above.
    19 - Talking History - Excellent show. Wonderful stuff. A credit to Geoghegan and to Newstalk. One of their best.
    21 - The Marc Coleman Show - The contrary, spluttering codger, his arguments are frequently off the wall but always enjoyable.

Saturday

7 - Fair enough.
    8 - I don't agree. I don't especially like him, but his light-hearted questioning of every-day people is unique and, I think, worthwhile.
    11 - I agree with that one!
    13 - This sort of show, as Marian Finucane proves, relies more on good guests than a good host.
    18 - I think there's a definite niche.
    19 - It's not quite my cuppa, but a show that reaches out to immigrant community in Ireland is shamefully absent.

Sunday

7 - It's very good. Presented by producer of Talking History
    8 - World in Motion - I think Shona Murray is woeful. Comprehensively bettered by RTE's This Week
    10 - Nice concept, shame about the host
    11 - I actually agree about Coleman...as a host. Because, as a political commentator, he's not up to much, IMO.
    19 - Hear, Hear
    21 - Again, I agree. I used to loathe Coleman (I've warmed to him somewhat), but always found the show stimulating. Get rid of the whining Bill Tormey, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

On some level, I think you're both right. I guess what it boils down is that in several cases I like the fact that a certain show exists but either wouldn't be particularly interested in listening to it myself (Global Village) or don't particularly care for the presenter (Picture Show).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

strictly only applies to myself but the start is so shyte (the documentary and henry mckeen) that i go straight to RTE and stay there for the day (well till the sport starts at 2) despite some of the shows that are listed being of interest to me.

then im just full on streaming stuff.

when you consider that means im listening to countrywide (or something, its all to do with farming and the like) thats saying something.

talking point is probaby the first thing i'd want to hear and i prefered when it was a 9am instead . ya cant pay me to listen to bobby kerr, that shows been ruined since mark mortell left.

IMO its a pity as weekend radio is ripe for a challenge, but kerr against finucane aint it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

No matter how much I try, I just cant listen to global village at all, always makes me feel bad for not having a ****ty choldhood.

At least tom dunne is gone! Now that was a sure fire way to fall asleep at the wheel

No matter how much I try, I just cant listen to global village at all, always makes me feel bad for not having a ****ty choldhood.

At least tom dunne is gone! Now that was a sure fire way to fall asleep at the wheel

Erm...I don't know how to break it to you...but Tom Dunne is in the 10-12 slot on week-nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Saturday

7 - Documentary
    8 - Under Covers - Presented by Henry McKean; documents everyday life, relying extensively on vox pops
    9 - Best of Pat Kenny
    10 - Futureproof - "Latest developments from the world of Science and Technology"
    11 - Down to Business - As name suggests, and more SME/Entrepreneur-focused than RTE's The Business
    13 - Talking Point with Sarah Carey - Round-table discussion
    14 - Off the Ball - Sport
    18 - Picture Show - "Movie news, reviews, interviews, profiles, movie history and stories about trends in cinema."
    19 - Global Village - Focuses on social justice and other issues
    21 - The Green Room - "Behind the scenes of popular culture with the arts, movies, interviews and live music"
    23 - Futureproof (repeat)

Sunday

7 - Talking Books - Reviews, discussion, interviews, readings
    8 - World in Motion - "An hour of the most pertinent stories in world affairs"
    9 - Best of George Hook
    10 - MindFeed - Norah Casey "asks a series of thought provoking questions of an eclectic panel"
    11 - The Sunday Show - Politics-focused round-table discussion
    13 - Off the Ball - Sport
    18 - Documentary
    19 - Talking History - Wide-ranging history show
    21 - The Marc Coleman Show - Frequently heated discussion show with polemical host

Last time I looked at the schedule, there was a significant amount of repeatage. Now, though, the whole weekend is original content, and genuinely competes with Radio 1's schedule.

Newstalk has obviously identified that, of the ten most listened-to shows, half are on the weekend. I particularly admire that many of the shows have a specific remit: whereas RTE reviews films as part of its catch-all arts show, Arena, Newstalk has the Picture Show.

Futureproof, Global Village, MindFeed, and Under Covers have no equivalents on RTE; Talking History is superior to its competitor; and other shows, such as Marc Coleman's, offer something refreshing.

Patrick Geoghegan's 'Talking History' is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Patrick Geoghegan's 'Talking History' is brilliant.

Yeah it's great for history nerds like myself, I've been a big fan for a long time. Geoghegan as a host is excellent and his contributors are always top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Erm...I don't know how to break it to you...but Tom Dunne is in the 10-12 slot on week-nights.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Yeah it's great for history nerds like myself, I've been a big fan for a long time. Geoghegan as a host is excellent and his contributors are always top notch.

I think it's wider ranging than just "history nerds" aswell though, I happily listen to the show and I wouldn't be overly interested in history, didn't study it in school or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Futureproof is always a good listen. I've spent many an evening on the way to a gig shouting at the anti white, Irish, hetrosexual, male, non traveller rubbish that passes as " global village". Its so one sided its not even funny.

The picture show is too scripted and you can hear that he's reading badly scripted reviews of the weeks new releases.

I listened to the Green Room Sat night and its not that bad.

Bobby Kerr and Norah Casey need to be hit a number of times in the face with a shovel, for the good of our society.

Shane Coleman i enjoyed and is a good presenter.

Marc Coleman is trying to be an ubber upper middle class politicial type while still trying to be an american shock jock.........a clown :rolleyes:

Listening to Norah Casey. The show is utterly unremarkable, and not as innovative as the blurb would suggest. However, I'm finding her quite pleasant, tbh!! She's cheerful, good-humoured, and, relative to her radio peers, very good at naturally reading from a script. I was impressed by how she was able to engage in the conversation, yet still keep some control of proceedings. Is it the Christmas spirit that has me so generous?

A new show began in the last month called The Currency - "a global view of economics and business presented by Nick Bullman on Sundays from 6-7pm." Bullman, who is English, appears to have quite a lot of experience in finance.

The Currency | Newstalk

Here is the renewed schedule:
    Monday - Friday

6.30 - Breakfast
    10 - Pat Kenny Show
    12.30 - Lunchtime
    1.30 - Moncrieff
    4.30 - The Right Hook
    7 - Off the Ball
    10 - Tom Dunne/Splanc (Friday)

Saturday

7 - Documentary
    8 - Under Covers
    9 - Best of Pat Kenny
    10 - Futureproof
    11 - Down to Business
    1 - Talking Point with Sarah Carey
    2 - Off the Ball
    6 - Picture Show
    7 - Global Village
    9 - The Green Room
    11 - Futureproof (repeat)

Sunday

7 - Talking Books
    8 - World in Motion
    9 - Best of George Hook
    10 - MindFeed
    11 - The Sunday Show
    1 - Off the Ball
    6 – The Currency
    7 - Talking History
    9 - The Marc Coleman Show
    11 - Documentary

I said this in my OP, and I'll say it again - I think their schedule is fantastic! Not so long ago, the station used to go into hibernation for the weekend. Now it credibly competes with Radio 1 across all its schedule. One thing it noticeably seems to lack, though, is listener contribution - as occurs on Liveline and John Murray Show.

As I said before, I still prefer most of R1's equivalents, but I relish having the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

I always really enjoy this show when I get to hear it. Orla Barry is totally on top of all the subjects she tackles. Very enjoyable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Talking history is excellent. One of the few shows that is consistently excellent.

Red Crow wrote: »
    Talking history is excellent. One of the few shows that is consistently excellent.

I agree wholeheartedly with the first sentence, but disagree with the second! Radio 1 on the weekend is excellent: Sunday Miscellany, This Week, Documentary on One - to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Red Crow wrote: »

Think it turns into more of an arts show occasionally, I tend to tune out then.
    In the second half, they try to cram too much in, hopping from item to item and often get caught for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

A new show began in the last month called The Currency - "a global view of economics and business presented by Nick Bullman on Sundays from 6-7pm." Bullman, who is English, appears to have quite a lot of experience in finance.

The Currency | Newstalk

Here is the renewed schedule:
    Monday - Friday

6.30 - Breakfast
    10 - Pat Kenny Show
    12.30 - Lunchtime
    1.30 - Moncrieff
    4.30 - The Right Hook
    7 - Off the Ball
    10 - Tom Dunne/Splanc (Friday)

Saturday

7 - Documentary
    8 - Under Covers
    9 - Best of Pat Kenny
    10 - Futureproof
    11 - Down to Business
    1 - Talking Point with Sarah Carey
    2 - Off the Ball
    6 - Picture Show
    7 - Global Village
    9 - The Green Room
    11 - Futureproof (repeat)

Sunday

7 - Talking Books
    8 - World in Motion
    9 - Best of George Hook
    10 - MindFeed
    11 - The Sunday Show
    1 - Off the Ball
    6 – The Currency
    7 - Talking History
    9 - The Marc Coleman Show
    11 - Documentary
    I said this in my OP, and I'll say it again - I think their schedule is fantastic! Not so long ago, the station used to go into hibernation for the weekend. Now it credibly competes with Radio 1 across all its schedule. One thing it noticeably seems to lack, though, is listener contribution - as occurs on Liveline and John Murray Show.

As I said before, I still prefer most of R1's equivalents, but I relish having the choice.

Thanks again, Mr. P. I'm sure Denis will thank you also!;)

roran wrote: »
    Thanks again, Mr. P. I'm sure Denis will thank you also!;)

:D Allow me to make it clear: I have no links whatsoever with Newstalk, INM, or any tax-avoiding journalist-suing media-proprietor billionaire!

However, I do welcome a diverse media landscape.

During the week, I will sometimes listen to Breakfast and Off the Ball, and often listen to Pat Kenny; from the weekend, I often podcast Futureproof, The Green Room, Sunday Show, Talking History, and Marc Coleman, and will glance at Sarah Carey. There's still an awful lot I wouldn't listen to!

• Advertisement
Advertisement