Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus Route 33

• 07-01-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know whats the story with this route, its seems to be pot luck if you actualy get to Abby St on the same bus. Everyday the route stops at Santry and passengers told to move to the 41 and the bus is just taken out of service.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Is this on a particular departure every day?

I know someone who knows the workings of the route inside out who can probably shed some light on this.

C635

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The other thing that drives me mad with this service is the proximity of the 33A. The 33A was supposed to complement the 33 with a service to Swords, which is actually a great idea and considering the 33 isnt the most frequent very useful.

However whatever way they are timetabled the 33A is always just a few minutes before/after a 33, since neither are full it is just a waste of resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I know someone who knows the workings of the route inside out who can probably shed some light on this.

C635

Its happens at any time, most recent yesterday around 18.00 and Friday 12 or 13.00 can't remenber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Its happens at any time, most recent yesterday around 18.00 and Friday 12 or 13.00 can't remenber.

That's hardly "every day". Somewhat more random I think and that you were just unlucky.

Perhaps they were running particularly late or there was a defect with the bus?

With 29 buses a day in each direction on the route I think if they were all stopping like this we would know about it.

That's hardly "every day". Somewhat more random I think.

With the low level of service on the route, I take the bus at least twice daily there is never a 33 service due anytime soon as they are somthing like hourly service compared to 20 minute average for most other routes.
    Perhaps they were running particularly late or there was a defect with the bus?

Nothing wrong with the bus or are these new GT buses haveing lots of problems.

• Advertisement

With the low level of service on the route, I take the bus at least twice daily there is never a 33 service due anytime soon as they are somthing like hourly service compared to 20 minute average for most other routes.

Nothing wrong with the bus or are these new GT buses haveing lots of problems.

So do you use any bus or the 33 itself twice daily? You're not very clear!

Well I did suggest that the bus could have been running particularly late. Certain trips each day operated by Skerries Garage based buses go to Summerhill Depot between trips for refuelling/cleaning. If these were those particular trips and the buses were running late then that would explain why the passengers were transferred.

So do you use any bus or the 33 itself twice daily? You're not very clear!

Well I did suggest that the bus could have been running particularly late. Certain trips each day operated by Skerries Garage based buses go to Summerhill Depot between trips for refuelling/cleaning. If these were those particular trips and the buses were running late then that would explain why the passengers were transferred.

My bus options are the 16, 41, 41C or 33 so which ever comes along first I get. Maybe its the deport for refueling etc its not becasue its late anyway.

My bus options are the 16, 41, 41C or 33 so which ever comes along first I get. Maybe its the deport for refueling etc its not becasue its late anyway.

Well that means that your initial comment that it happens "every day" is perhaps somewhat an exaggeration as you are not travelling on the 33 every day?

As for it being late or not - how do you know, as you're obviously getting it at least 2/3rds of the way along the route?

Well that means that your initial comment that it happens "every day" is perhaps somewhat an exaggeration as you are not travelling on the 33 every day?

As for it being late or not - how do you know?

Put it this way everytime the real time says its due when it arrives it goes out of service and then passengers moved to the 41 when it arrives just after it. It happens daily or weekly if you prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

lxflyer wrote: »
    As for it being late or not - how do you know, as you're obviously getting it at least 2/3rds of the way along the route?
    If he's getting a 16, then he's definitely not travelling 2/3 of the 33 route.

It's a lot longer to Balbriggan via Skerries and Rush from the Airport than from Dublin to the Airport.

• Advertisement

As for it being late or not

Missed that point as the timetable at the stop matches the real time so its running on time.

If he's getting a 16, then he's definitely not travelling 2/3 of the 33 route.

It's a lot longer to Balbriggan via Skerries and Rush from the Airport than from Dublin to the Airport.

He's talking about inbound - by which the bus is already at least 2/3rds of the way into town and I find it difficult to believe that he can possibly know that the bus is running late or not!!

Missed that point as the timetable at the stop matches the real time so its running on time.

The 33 does not have any intermediate timetables - only the departure times from Skerries or Balbriggan.

The times displayed at the stops along the route are the departure times from the terminus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Apologies for the old thread, but these two posts came up in a search
    Conway635 wrote: »

C635
    Van.Bosch wrote: »
    The other thing that drives me mad with this service is the proximity of the 33A. The 33A was supposed to complement the 33 with a service to Swords, which is actually a great idea and considering the 33 isnt the most frequent very useful.

However whatever way they are timetabled the 33A is always just a few minutes before/after a 33, since neither are full it is just a waste of resources.

Can someone explain the idea of the 33/33A timetable. It and the 185 timetable are the ones I have difficulty with.

Yesterday I got the 1500 33 from Balbriggan (bus coming off a 33A to Balbriggan), it went via Skerries Stn and took 25 minutes to get to Skerries Main St. where the 1515 33A was just departing in front of it.

Similarly, the 1915 33A leaves Balbriggan as a 33 at 1900 (bus coming off a 33X service).

Why is there such a mix of destinations and variations for a route that shouldn't be complicated with a relatively low frequency...

The 33/33a are due an overhaul but for whatever reason it keeps being postponed.

If you look at Saturdays you'll get the idea during the afternoon. It allows North County Dublin frequencies to double using fewer resources.

Running a bus between Balbriggan and Swords (to which there's a big market with the Pavillions SC) means you can do more trips in North Dublin where there are no other alternatives.

Unfortunately the current schedule is littered with inconsistencies with buses travelling together at certain times.

The 185 is perfectly simple once you dissect the Enniskerry and Palermo services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

The revised timetables for the 33/41 set of routes were on the Dublin Bus website only a matter of weeks ago. They had been sent to the NTA for approval and all then nothing happened. Any idea why it was postponed the last time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

The 33a and b are going up for tender I think

micraX wrote: »
    The 33a and b are going up for tender I think

Not till late 2016. In the tender the 33a will be running to the Airport. That is part of the Dublin Bus change which is yet to happen.

I pointed out to the nta that unless the outsourced 33a took prepaid db tickets or allowed t90 fares to get onwards from Swords then they were setting it up for a fail.
    the nta replied that they hadn't considered the impact form a passenger point of view, they were focused on the service provider side.

I pointed out there were more passengers than operators and maybe they should look at it from that side, the customer being king.
    That was the last I heard...

Maybe the delay is the nta figuring out what would be best for customers... for a change.

The changes were to the Dublin Bus services so tickets wouldn't be effected. These changes were part of Network Direct and are many years old now.

• Advertisement

Stevek101 wrote: »
    The changes were to the Dublin Bus services so tickets wouldn't be effected. These changes were part of Network Direct and are many years old now.
    No, they were part of an outsourcing of the route, on a pso contract, by the nta. Dublin bus do network direct stuff, which is different.

No, they were part of an outsourcing of the route, on a pso contract, by the nta. Dublin bus do network direct stuff, which is different.

When was this suggested?

I pointed out to the nta that unless the outsourced 33a took prepaid db tickets or allowed t90 fares to get onwards from Swords then they were setting it up for a fail.
    the nta replied that they hadn't considered the impact form a passenger point of view, they were focused on the service provider side.

I pointed out there were more passengers than operators and maybe they should look at it from that side, the customer being king.
    That was the last I heard...

Maybe the delay is the nta figuring out what would be best for customers... for a change.
    Stevek101 wrote: »

Let's be quite clear here.

Dublin Bus have proposals to redraft the service on all their North County Dublin services, including the 33 and 33a, which would see the latter extended to serve Dublin Airport. This has been put back on several occasions for unexplained reasons.

Completely separately the NTA have announced a tendering process for orbital services in Dublin from 2016 which includes the 33a. This is an entirely different issue, and I'm not sure why you are muddying this thread with something that's almost two and a half years away.

However, with regard to the latter - the current ticketing range will have to cover all of the services, irrespective of who is operating them. Otherwise the process is meaningless from a customer perspective and any semblance of the city bus service as a network would be lost.

As I see it, this is no different to what happens in London - different operators tender for routes, but the fares and ticketing range are set by TfL. The NTA will have to facilitate that role in Dublin. The operators will be purely that - operators.

The NTA will become responsible for service planning, fare setting etc.

Ultimately there is going to have to be a transfer of staff from Dublin Bus to the NTA to facilitate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PadelCreekMan

lxflyer wrote: »
    The 33 does not have any intermediate timetables - only the departure times from Skerries or Balbriggan.

The times displayed at the stops along the route are the departure times from the terminus.

The Transport For Ireland Journey Planner App has both scheduled and real time stop departure times for every stop on the 33. Select a stop name in Skerries in the Departures Tab, then select show next stops. All the intermediate times are there. If the bus is moving these will be real times as opposed to scheduled.

The Transport For Ireland Journey Planner App has both scheduled and real time stop departure times for every stop on the 33. Select a stop name in Skerries in the Departures Tab, then select show next stops. All the intermediate times are there. If the bus is moving these will be real times as opposed to scheduled.

That's a discussion from over 18 months ago.

Advertisement