Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving Test

• 17-12-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Guys,

So I've been to a driving test and I failed it. I'm planning to go to another one pretty soon and I have a question.
    What do I do if I'm at a junction behind the white line and I want to turn right, but there is no filter and there is no green arrow light letting you to turn right ? Do I just proceed through the white line, then wait for a gap in the oncoming traffic and turn right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I'd stay behind the line, until there is a safe gap in the oncoming traffic.
    If you sit in the middle of the junction, there's a chance you'll get stuck there when the lights change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sandraa93

If you sit in the middle of the junction, there's a chance you'll get stuck there when the lights change.

Right yea, this is probably the best thing to do.
    Thank You ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Actually I was told that you ARE meant to pull into the junction and wait for a safe gap in traffic (assuming you're not causing an obstruction while you wait). If the light turns red while you're in the junction, then you clear the junction as soon as you can. It doesn't count as breaking a red light, because you passed the line while the light was green so you're just completing your turn (presumably you're not talking about a straight green arrow).

Only one car can pull into the junction at a time though... if the person in front of you is already waiting in it then you hold back behind the white line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

woodchuck wrote: »
    Actually I was told that you ARE meant to pull into the junction and wait for a safe gap in traffic (assuming you're not causing an obstruction while you wait). If the light turns red while you're in the junction, then you clear the junction as soon as you can. It doesn't count as breaking a red light, because you passed the line while the light was green so you're just completing your turn (presumably you're not talking about a straight green arrow).

Only one car can pull into the junction at a time though... if the person in front of you is already waiting in it then you hold back behind the white line.

Correct, good description

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i agree with the second last poster also. I got marked for positioning and I think progress in a driving test years ago, as if you miss the light change due to "waiting for a gap" then you are obstructing other traffic. The right turn at st annes park from the clontarf road has this setup and comes up in some tests in Raheny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Only do this if you want to fail your test. It's amazing the number of drivers who have no idea how to deal with traffic lights. Once a solid green light comes on, you must take possession of the junction regardless of whether there is a filter light or not. Failure to do so will probably lead to a Grade 3 fault, especially if the light turns to red.

If you think about it logically you could be there for the day if you continued to wait behind the line for a gap in the traffic.

As the other poster mentioned, you must also clear the junction if the light turns to red as again failure to do so will most likely lead to an automatic fail.

Advertisement