Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fan belt Regulator

Options
  • 17-12-2012 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Recently got the timing belt on my 01 Audi A4 replaced from the Audi garage. After they told me the fan belt regulator had to be replaced (costing over €400.) She just went through the NCT no bother. How important is this to get replaced? Can it only be done with a genuine Audi part? Could it be got from a scrap yard??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are you sure this is what they told you?

Tensioner perhaps?
    A car could pass an NCT with numerous issues to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Duke of Speed

its the spring loaded tensioner on the alternator belt the pulley goes side ways and eventually fails happened to an a4 on me the reason was the clutch on the alternator pulley was sticking and put pressure on the tensioner when the engine slows down from revving had to replace that too as tensioner went again on not replacing pulley first time common fault on high mileage engines parts are available from motor factor or german sweedish parts in dublin or cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Main dealer Audi bits are dear, aren't they.:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

€400 sounds mental for that job tbh. We had that done only a few weeks ago on my wife's A4 TDi by a local independent (with a genuine VAG part) for around €150 or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement