Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus mk1 TDCi (115bhp)

Options
  • 16-12-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for your opinion on the above car/engine as i wouldn't be too familiar with them myself.

What sort of a reputation do they have when it comes to reliability?

Do they suffer from any common issues or known faults?

I'm not too familiar with diesel Ford's but I've heard some of them have been known for giving trouble with injectors?

The car in question is a '01 1.8 TDCi 115PS with 120k miles and drives very well, I presume they dont have DMF's, DPF's that I should be worrying about?

Appreciate any insight!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭maidhc

ION08 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just looking for your opinion on the above car/engine as i wouldn't be too familiar with them myself.

What sort of a reputation do they have when it comes to reliability?

Do they suffer from any common issues or known faults?

I'm not too familiar with diesel Ford's but I've heard some of them have been known for giving trouble with injectors?

The car in question is a '01 1.8 TDCi 115PS with 120k miles and drives very well, I presume they dont have DMF's, DPF's that I should be worrying about?

Appreciate any insight!

The 1.8 TDCi does have a DMF, which should nearly have failed and been replaced at this stage if it is going to do so.

Injectors are not known to be an issue with this engine.

I had a 03 one. It was grand, while I had it got a DMF, and a rather expensive alternator clutch. By the time I sold it it had about 145k up, and it needed an EGR valve.

Lively engine though, and one of the quietest diesels on the road still.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭scrap_man

the tdci focus engines do have a dmf but i haven't seen many give trouble. They do tend to give a good bit of injector and injector pump trouble, If you pick up a car that has had them replaced already then you would have a fairly bulletproof car

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Agree with scrap_man. Injectors and pumps are a week point on the 1.8 and 2L tdci's. Other than that, they are a great engine. Good torque and fairly quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Had one for three years and had 180k up on it when traded. Never a problem with the engine. It was well serviced though. Great poke for a diesel.;)One with some service history would help.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Thanks for the replies lads,

It seems to be a fairly lively engine alright! I was surprised by how smooth and quiet it is.

As I said the car drives incredibly very well for age/mileage. The clutch bites perfectly, no rattles or squeaks from the suspension, no smoke when putting the foot down.

There are a few niggly issues: Fuel gauge has a mind of its own, 2 dodgy electric windows and the central locking only works from passengers side.

I suppose I just wanted to know if there are any major mechanical faults / issues common to these cars that I should be aware of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement