Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheap tyres

• 16-12-2012 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

eff it. The Missus went to get a puncture fixed and ended up with two new tyres and the car tracked...€200 .

Rapid P609 ffs... 49th out of 50 in the test i saw online.... I'll be back in there tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

With a name like "Rapid" they can't be bad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

id rather they stopped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Just from the point of debate/devils advocate, what did the tyre place do wrong? (apart from selling pure crap tyres), the tyres are legal, they are entitled to sell them, she agreed to buy them, she agreed the price, she could have called you to check from the garage etc etc

What if they had put Pirellis on it and charged her 600 ?

The buyer has to have some responsibility as well surely ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

How big are the wheels? Unless they are 17s or something I would expect soemthing half way decent for €100.

they are 17s.... she asked for GOOD TYRES and they said THESE ARE GOOD TYRES....

hangkok or nanking or something tyres came about 12th in the survey for about €70....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

whats the name of this "online test", i'd be interested in seeing it,whatever chance there is of getting nangkangs at €70 i doubt very much you'd get hankooks anywhere near that price in a 17" wheel.

dunno...goggle it like i did..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I needed a few tyres 30 mins before my NCT last June, the local place had these Rapid P609s and nothing else.

I put two of them on the back. So far no evidence of any braking issues or evidence of the rear of the car going head first into a ditch. They are not particularly noisey, and if they were an establshed brand I would say they are fine! I tend to drive on a bit and have been known to oversteer into barriers on the (very) odd occasion.

I gave €50 a corner for 16s. Truth be told I would prefer something "better", but as I said, they have behaved fine so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Big mistake going into your average tyre centre and asking for "good" tyres. Most of them interpret that as "good selling" tyres which to the majority of Joe Public means the cheapest ones in that size. Of course most folk have no idea about different brand tyres and are quite happy with what a tyre centre recommends or have in stock.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There are new rating systems available as of November this year on car tyres.
    The new EU tyre label provides important information about safety and environmental aspects of a tyre. Similar to the energy label found on kitchen appliances, the EU tyre label makes it easy to compare tyres in terms of wet grip, fuel efficiency and noise. Explore the links below to find out more.

From http://www.goodyear.eu/ie_en/tire-advice/eu-tire-label/

Tyres that last forever may be crap at stopping. Great grip can affect fuel economy.

Try the tyre review website for recommendations. Hanook Ventus V12's are a very good tyre at not much more then some much poorly reviewed tyres.

I only got goodyears friday on my car, as they were very competitively priced in my tyre size.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    dunno...goggle it like i did..

i did google it "like you" did and could'nt find hankooks for anywhere near €70,the cheapest was ranging from €96 to €150 from eiretyre,of course fitting is on top of that,you'll get nangkangs for 70 which in my opinion fall into the same catagory as "rapids".

I don't envy you when you call in trying to amicably sort out this :(
    Presumably they had nothing decent in stock so took advantage of the situation to make the sale, desperate carry on when they were asked specifically for good tyres.

they are for a reasonably high perfomance car too... i doubt there will be much amicable about my call....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭daaaycent boy

philpotts was it or the other place?

philpotts was it or the other place?

why not use your old account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

ljpg wrote: »
    ,you'll get nangkangs for 70 which in my opinion fall into the same catagory as "rapids".

Well then you would be completely wrong. Googling the Rapid P609 I find warning after warning and appearances on the bottom on the every review roundup possible:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Autobild-50-Tyre-Braking-Test.htm
    As a result, only the 15 best-placed products in the test field will make it through to the second round. The experts describe the wet-weather braking distances of every third tire – including many cheap import models from China – as “alarming”. “The Chinese-made Rapid P609 and Rockstone radial F105 slide across the wet asphalt offering no grip whatsoever”, they write.

Nankang's on the otherhand are solid budget tyres, delivering average performance and the type of "budget tyre" response accepted as budget 5years ago, until the Chinese decided they wanted to slowly kill us via stealth with their woeful tyre and car designs.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nankang/NS20.htm
    Dry Grip
    85%

Wet Grip
    75%

Road Feedback
    65%

Progressiveness
    90%

Wear
    75%

Comfort
    65%

Buy again
    70%

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Well then you would be completely wrong. Googling the Rapid P609 I find warning after warning and appearances on the bottom on the every review roundup possible:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Autobild-50-Tyre-Braking-Test.htm

Nankang's on the otherhand are solid budget tyres, delivering average performance and the type of "budget tyre" response accepted as budget 5years ago, until the Chinese decided they wanted to slowly kill us via stealth with their woeful tyre and car designs.

take note of the part where i stated "in my opinion"you can google it all ya want,i have previous experience of nangkangs on two high preformance cars,a 2 litre celica and a evo, they were fitted on both cars when i bought them,i thought they were awful,especially in the wet,in both cases they wore out pretty quick too,so "in my opinion" they fall into the same catagory.have you anything to back up your claims or are you basing "your opinion" on some rubbish you found on the net?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

bazz26 wrote: »
    Big mistake going into your average tyre centre and asking for "good" tyres. Most of them interpret that as "good selling" tyres which to the majority of Joe Public means the cheapest ones in that size. Of course most folk have no idea about different brand tyres and are quite happy with what a tyre centre recommends or have in stock.

My local tire place was really pushing me to buy Nankangs (despite me insisting that I didnt want them and was willing to spend more money on something better) because they last a long time and taxi drivers love them. I informed him several times that I drive a performance car and that grip was far more important to me than a hard tire that lasts a long time, but it didnt seem to register with him.

Needless to say I went somewhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭GE90

maidhc wrote: »
    I needed a few tyres 30 mins before my NCT last June, the local place had these Rapid P609s and nothing else.

I put two of them on the back. So far no evidence of any braking issues or evidence of the rear of the car going head first into a ditch. They are not particularly noisey, and if they were an establshed brand I would say they are fine! I tend to drive on a bit and have been known to oversteer into barriers on the (very) odd occasion.

I love how you say that like its insignificant. Ya I crash into barriers now and again, its no biggie. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

ljpg wrote: »
    take note of the part where i stated "in my opinion"you can google it all ya want,i have previous experience of nangkangs on two high preformance cars,a 2 litre celica and a evo, they were fitted on both cars when i bought them,i thought they were awful,especially in the wet,in both cases they wore out pretty quick too,so "in my opinion" they fall into the same catagory.have you anything to back up your claims or are you basing "your opinion" on some rubbish you found on the net?

Have you owned and tested the Rapid's in question? Otherwise, your semi-literate opinion is wrong and irrelevant to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I found Nankangs to be hit and miss depending on model.I put a set on my van a couple of years back and they were grand. The set we put on the missus Scenic afterwards had her spinning and crashing in to a roundabout in damp weather........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

GE90 wrote: »
    I love how you say that like its insignificant. Ya I crash into barriers now and again, its no biggie. :pac:

I have never had a cheap set of tyres on car except for these "Rapids". And yes I have had a few tips, once on ice and once on a wet road with a set of Firestones with 1/3 thread left.

The best tyre I have ever had were Eagle F1s, and worst BF Goodrich. These rapids don't seem as bad as the BFGs for some reason.

The "Rapid" brand is also sold as "Sagitar" from what I can see.

Have you owned and tested the Rapid's in question? Otherwise, your semi-literate opinion is wrong and irrelevant to this thread.

no and i'm not claiming to,by the sound of things neither have you,your entire argument is based on you read off the net,pathetic!!

Advertisement