Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does your insurance cover you if your tax is out?

Options
  • 15-12-2012 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

I'm only asking on the back of the is motor tax worth it thread, mine is fully paid up.

Also, if your NCT is out would insurance cover you? Again mine is fine, just wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Your insurance terms and conditions will state that the vehicle must be fit for road use, if your vehicle does not have Tax or in date nct it is not fir for road use.

So it would be a way out for the insurance company if the event of a claim if they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I'm only asking on the back of the is motor tax worth it thread, mine is fully paid up.

Also, if your NCT is out would insurance cover you? Again mine is fine, just wondering.

Yes you are covered for insurance if your tax is out.

NCT would be open to interpretation , if it was out for a while and you didn't book you'd be ok, however if you failed the test and continued driving with known faults which caused a preventable accident you'd be on sticky ground and the insurance co would be well within its rights to withhold payout, but this is not cut and dried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They must pay 3rd party claims regardless. I am sick of stating this.

The only people who need to worry are those precious ones who waste money on fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The only people who need to worry are those precious ones who waste money on fully comp.

How is fully comp a waste of money? I have a claim pending, truck crashed into me, claims due to narrowness of road its 50-50 liability (this is incredibly common excuse and Ive learned frequently upheld in Insurance Court cases). Now 50-50 means he pays for his damage I pay for mine. His damage is effectively nothing at all, mine was EUR4500. Thankfully with fully comp Ive already had the damage repaired. With TPFT Id have to wait and see if the liability is accepted or shifted to the other party, otherwise Id be paying out of pocket.

How is fully comp a waste in this very common (at least in Ireland) scenario?

If you hold a comprehensive policy your auto insurance company will arrange for your vehicle to be taken to one of their approved garages' where the repairs will be undertaken. This is the quickest option as no estimate is required and most garages have authority to commence work immediately. If you would prefer to take your vehicle to a garage of your choice you must obtain 2 estimates and submit them to your insurers. Your insurers will then send an engineer to inspect your vehicle and authorize the repairs.

If you hold a TPFT or TPO policy and have been involved in a non fault accident you will need to arrange 2 estimates and submit them to the company pursuing your uninsured losses. They will then forward your claim to the responsible party.

50-50 liability is not considered a "non-fault" accident is it, considering my NCD is potentially being affected too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Fully comp is only a waste if you can afford to cover your own damages!! :rolleyes:

Back OT. AFAIK, tax is OK. NCT (obviously!) isn't. But stand to be corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

You will be covered regardless of tax status. NCT is another matter especially if you failed as opposed to letting it run out. All third party claims would be paid no matter what.

Can't believe someone thinks fully comp is a waste of money. Doesn't cost much extra in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Keith186 wrote: »
    You will be covered regardless of tax status. NCT is another matter especially if you failed as opposed to letting it run out. All third party claims would be paid no matter what.

Can't believe someone thinks fully comp is a waste of money. Doesn't cost much extra in my experience.

Totally agree. It is a little known fact that there is no difference between TPFT and Fully Comp. It's as little as E30-40 difference in the premium!

I always tell people either insure the car TP only or go fully comp. TPFT is a bit of a waste TBH...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Go easy would ye, I only asked a question out of curiosity.

On cars worth less than €1000 I do not bother with fully comp. So all these insurance arguments mean nothing to me. If I cause damage I knows the other guy will be paid no matter what. That's what I pay the vultures for, nothing more nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

My fully comp was cheaper than my cheapest 3rd party quote; am I still a precious one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Quite often fully comp is cheaper than TP.

Not on a €500 car it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bajer100

My car caught fire and the assessor deducted €500 from the market value of the car because the NCT had expired.

Not on a €500 car it is not.

Which is perverse as the potential additional loss is much lower than on (say) a €20k car.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Which is perverse as the potential additional loss is much lower than on (say) a €20k car.
    There was an average difference of €200 between comp and 3rd party quotes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Totally agree. It is a little known fact that there is no difference between TPFT and Fully Comp. It's as little as E30-40 difference in the premium!
    It not always the case. There was over 250 in the difference of fully comprehensive and third party and 200 between tpft and fully comp on my renewal in November.
    I wouldn't bother with fully comp if I had a car worth a grand or less the only thing I would look for is glass cover which usually comes standard on fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

On cars worth less than €1000 I do not bother with fully comp
    Medical bills tend to be a lot more unless you believe you'll be invincible in the event of an accident.

Medical bills tend to be a lot more unless you believe you'll be invincible in the event of an accident.
    Medical card ftw. ;)

You might want to check your policy as no doubt the big print will say something like

Which I have taken from LIberty Insurance. When you click the link you'll find the cover is limited to EUR135 per person which seems fairly common. Generally, the car owner or driver will have extremely limited cover for personal injury, accident or medical cover under a car insurance policy. Not a lot of people know that (as Michael Caine might say).

(For completeness, when you click the link, you get the following...

Comprehensive Cover Only

We will pay for medical expenses up to €135 for each person injured if the vehicle is involved in an accident, as long as there is no cover in force under another motor insurance policy.)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

hobochris wrote: »
    Your insurance terms and conditions will state that the vehicle must be fit for road use, if your vehicle does not have Tax or in date NCT it is not fit for road use.

So it would be a way out for the insurance company if the event of a claim if they wanted.
    You are well wrong there.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭ffocused

While getting a repair estimate a few weeks ago the guy in the shop told me of another customer who only got 80% of his claim as his NCT was out by 2 months.

That is common enough. Let it be a lesson to keep your NCT in date.

The absence of tax does not affect anything insurance related.

Medical card ftw. ;)

So your precious comment wouldn't apply to non medical card holders who drive cars worth over a grand ?

I stand over my comments regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I know that if you change your car and want to transfer the insurance they will ask for the nct. If the car does not have a current nct , they will refuse to transfer.

What dosent make sense is, on renewal each year they dont require proof of a current nct. So, you can buy a car with nct and get insured, then keep it for x numbers of years, insured and possibly no nct.

I know that if you change your car and want to transfer the insurance they will ask for the nct. If the car does not have a current nct , they will refuse to transfer.
    Not heard of this happening. Which company is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

bajer100 wrote: »
    My car caught fire and the assessor deducted €500 from the market value of the car because the NCT had expired.

and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Not heard of this happening. Which company is it?

Well it"s a while back. I have a trade insurance with a good few years. But it was next to impossible to get a transfer without a current nct. I would be surprised if it has changed. I could see the logic in it. But why not follow up on renewal is what puzzled a little.

Through a broker, so cant remember which insurance company.

Probably just a broker imposing his own rules. I have had brokers looking for tax books in the past.

I have managed to insure many cars with no nct with no bother. I am unaware of any that ask to see the docs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Probably just a broker imposing his own rules. I have had brokers looking for tax books in the past.

I have managed to insure many cars with no nct with no bother. I am unaware of any that ask to see the docs.

when a claim arises, they will.

Advertisement