Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Black smoke from exhaust

Options
  • 14-12-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Started up the car this morning and a lot of black smoke from exhaust. Never happened before. Had to drive 1 mile up the road to the nursery, turned off engine and smoke gone when started.

Checked the oil levels on the dipstick and it is quiet low so will top up at lunch time. Also I should say that there is some leakage from the fuel injector seals (3 out of 4). Not much and garage told me a few months that it is not such a big deal and just keep an eye on it.

Is this low oil level or is there something more sinister going on?

Thanks a million.

It has 112k miles, 2.0 diesel engine on a Hyundai Elantra. Full oil change in September.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Nothin wrong with a bit a black reek.... No smoke no poke lad :pac::pac::pac:

My complete guess would be leaning towards the injectors if they are leaking they might need replacing and sometimes cause a smoke screen when on the way out.

Could also be a cold enough morning or poor quality diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Black smoke on a diesel is a sign of poor combustion. If the car is perfect otherwise with no warning lights or running/power issues then it may just be the glow plugs getting a little weak which would be perfectly normal with over 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

Cold engine block makes it hard for diesels to burn fuel. Once it's warmed up a bit it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

i'd be checking the air filter first,it may need replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Thanks for replies. It hasnt happened again since Friday morning and no warning lights. All seems okay otherswise. Topped up oil also. Thing was last Thursday night was quite mild compared to the ice and frost earlier in the week so the engine should not have been that cold.

I am actually driving back to Ireland next weekend so this was the last thing I needed with ferry's booked etc

Had a new air filter in June but will have a look anyway and will look into glow plugs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement