Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

has motor tax passed the "is it worth buying" rate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

crusher000 wrote: »
    Penalty points now for not having car tax so if you want the insurance premium to take a hike go for it. Also 3 months on 3 months off ? Don't you have to back pay your tax if it's not renewed. my tax is now 760 a year which is maddening. Insurance is cheaper and your correct my tax is now nearly higher than the value of my car a 02.
    You sure? If so then that's very wrong. They insisted time and time again that the penalty points were only being introduced as a safety measure. This proves that's not the case any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    You sure? If so then that's very wrong. They insisted time and time again that the penalty points were only being introduced as a safety measure. This proves that's not the case any more.

hes wrong. its not happening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So how much is it to tax an 08 one ?

Again how would I know? I dont drive one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

corktina wrote: »
    wardens getting a 10% commission on all cars they book for no tax would be another.

Probably break the €250,000 public sector pay cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

So how much is it to tax an 08 one ?
    You're on boards, surely you've heard of google too?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Boskowski wrote: »

He's trying to make a point but not doing a very good job of it

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

I'm at work on an smart phone
    Google is very slow on it
    Suppose if I bough an iPad I could find out
    For myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I know a guy whos tax is out since April 2011 and he drives his car everyday he doesnt give a sh*t that its out as he is friends with a guard who he believes will sort it out for him if he gets caught.

So im wondering why im bothering paying tax on my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

S28382 wrote: »
    I know a guy whos tax is out since April 2011 and he drives his car everyday he doesnt give a sh*t that its out as he is friends with a guard who he believes will sort it out for him if he gets caught.

Why do you pay insurance so?

Valetta wrote: »
    Why do you pay insurance so?

I think you will find that im merely pointing out that i know some who is not bothered with the tax on his car and its out so long and he doesnt care this has nothing to do with insurance the thread is about tax.

I pay my tax i have nct and insurance like so many others but also there is many who dont bother paying and its very annoying when the people who pay up do so as its the law and we are respecting it while the others who dont pay dont really seem to give a sh*t and in the case i know of he isnt bothered as he knows if he gets caught he will get away with it.

So tell me what has my post got to do with me paying my insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

The last line of your post said:

"So im wondering why im bothering paying tax on my car. "

This gives me the impression that you would consider not paying it based on the guy you know who hasn't been caught in 18 months.

If your reason for paying is the fear of getting caught, there is much less of a chance of being caught without insurance. Just pay the first month and cancel your direct debit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭gerarda

I would love to see how the money collected for road tax is actually spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

snaps wrote: »
    What with the latest motor tax increases and especially around my rual area with garda cutbacks, lots more motorists are not renewing their tax when its due. Talking to people down the pub and also walking around town this week I noticed not far off 50% of cars parked had out of date tax discs.
    There must be many cars on the road now that are worth less than 1k and have 1.9/2l engines where it costs as much to tax than the car is worth.
    I can't remember last time I saw a garda checkpoint locally (seen a few customs checkpoints for diesel).
    If one did get caught with no tax, what's the consequences of having no tax? What's the average fine etc? Perhaps it is actually worth running the risk now a days not having motor tax?

I'm just curious, not promoting it, but generally shocked by the amount of cars on the road with tax discs more than 2 months out of date.

Also a subject that was discussed the other night in the pub was people try and do 3 months on and 3 months off taxing.

Just going back to the OP's question again, what are the consequences. Car out of tax for a year lets say, stopped at checkpoint, what happens?

Car gone towed away I suppose and fine. What else, bring tax up to date, pay for tow truck and overnight storage etc...

What if I say keep the car, does it get crushed like in the UK and all I get is a fine?

• Administrators Posts: 54,098 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 kmc25_1

Citizens information doesn't provide specific penalties...

Failure to tax your vehicle and/or display a current tax disc is a serious offence and you are liable to receive a fine and/or face prosecution if you do not comply.

I looked on donedeal and if the info is right .

2007 avensis d4d average price €7k
    road tax €710

2008 avensis d4d average price €10.5 k
    Road tax €225

So if your car is pre 08
    To pay for 3 months won't be too far away from a years tax on a post 08 car .

So to answer the OPs original question
    Yes for many people it has passed it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What if I say keep the car, does it get crushed like in the UK and all I get is a fine?
    Yep. Many people are driving heaps and just handing them over if caught. Cheap motoring.

When I was a warden back in the late 90's, it was piss easy to fill a book full of no tax fines. 60 punts a pop. A search of any carpark would yield results fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I looked on donedeal and if the info is right .

2007 avensis d4d average price €7k
    road tax €710

2008 avensis d4d average price €10.5 k
    Road tax €225

So if your car is pre 08
    To pay for 3 months won't be too far away from a years tax on a post 08 car .

So to answer the OPs original question
    Yes for many people it has passed it .

Strange, I & http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=23577 seem to have the Co2 of an early 08 Avensis 2.0D4d as 146g, which means €390 to tax next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

awec wrote: »
    Tax dodging should be socially stigmatised IMO. Instead of getting a pat on the back and congratulated for cheating the system people who dodge tax should be treated with contempt. Just like people driving without insurance.

Nice speech there. That will only work if the system was fair, at the moment its grossly unfair to the majority and extremely fair to a minority.

R.O.R wrote: »

Strange, I & http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=23577 seem to have the Co2 of an early 08 Avensis 2.0D4d as 146g, which means €390 to tax next year.

Guy on donedeal selling a late 08 one and quoting €225 on the add ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

godtabh wrote: »
    Not being smart but buy a bike. I did it to replace the saab.

Not going to suit every one but not every one is out to dodge their tax

The elderly couple referred to above drive that untaxed mondeo and I gather they are too old for push bikes and can't afford to tax the mondeo or downgrade it.

There was a similar thread to this a year ago and I must say the compliance brigade were much more voiciferous,it just shows, opinions change especially when people perceive unfair taxes and therefore they won't get paid and evasion starts to be widespread .

Leading to

Diminishing revenue returns.

Galway TT you are correct about cloning becoming a big issue in ireland if uk type rules and enforcement are applied here.

The current system of declaring your car off the road backdated will be done away with next year. They're losing too much money on it as everyone is at that.
    It will be black and white after that no messin.

• Administrators Posts: 54,098 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Say what you want about the system being fair or whatever, but dodging tax should not be a badge of honour.

What is grossly unfair is people who fork out on motortax while others cruise around thinking the law doesn't apply to them.
    The problem is the lack of enforcement. The effort to enforce is not what it was a few years ago.

• Advertisement

What happens if you upgrade your engine to a 2008 spec ?
    Would you qualify for the emissions based tax system ?

What happens if you upgrade your engine to a 2008 spec ?
    Would you qualify for the emissions based tax system ?
    Nope. It goes on the date of registration of the original car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What is grossly unfair is people who fork out on motortax while others cruise around thinking the law doesn't apply to them.

How very true, plenty rife up here. Remember my thread on a blue yaris about this time last year?

My point would be if tax is that expensive, why not switch to a smaller engined car....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Motor tax is a Dublin tax.

I cannot count how many checkpoints I have gone through in the past 12 months.

On the other hand, a few friends who work in Cork & Limerick counties have never gone through one in years, and tax their cars accordingly if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There was a similar thread to this a year ago and I must say the compliance brigade were much more voiciferous,it just shows, opinions change especially when people perceive unfair taxes and therefore they won't get paid and evasion starts to be widespread .
    yeah agree with this, the tax for larger engined cars was always damn high, but after this budget, even small engined cars are very expensive to tax, I really feel they have hit the tipping point. Will be interesting to see if motor tax is hit again in the next two budgets...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I pay for my car tax every year.....I've never felt like it was worth buying though, and another 106 euro added to an already excessivly high figure this year, will have to find some way to claw that back over the year :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

I have an 07 avensis with 285km on it. Im working 2 miles away from home since march, and will be at least until march next. Used to commute 110 miles a day.

We're tight enough for money, and couldnt justify two cars.

And when i tried to sell the avensis (paid for) i was made a few derisory offers. So i put it in the shed, and if im made permanant, ill sell it. And once a week i take it around the block. At least if i have to look for work, i have a car thats able for it.

And now i drive her old runaround. A 1l seat arosa. Its the time to cut your cloth to measure.

And when i meet a checkpoint or see a traffic corps car (many seem to have the black anpr box on the rear of the roof) i dont have to worry.

It might only be worth a few hundred, but we'd be lost without it.

Valetta wrote: »
    The last line of your post said:

"So im wondering why im bothering paying tax on my car. "

This gives me the impression that you would consider not paying it based on the guy you know who hasn't been caught in 18 months.

If your reason for paying is the fear of getting caught, there is much less of a chance of being caught without insurance. Just pay the first month and cancel your direct debit.

Iv always paid tax on any car iv had and iv no bother paying it and its not cheap either, it has to be paid so there is no point in messing around with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

When I was a warden back in the late 90's, it was piss easy to fill a book full of no tax fines. 60 punts a pop. A search of any carpark would yield results fast.
    Boo! Down with the Gov'ner :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

S28382 wrote: »

Cause you don't have a guard friend?

dgt wrote: »
    How very true, plenty rife up here. Remember my thread on a blue yaris about this time last year?

I don't believe it, speak of the devil..... There it is again in Kennedy plaza, Navan. Large as life.

The driver sure has a hard neck

Whats that, over 6 years out of tax? :rolleyes:

rocky wrote: »
    Cause you don't have a guard friend?

Actually i do but im not that desperate that i need to call on him to help me out because i was too stingy to pay my tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Its all well and good some of the earlier posts here saying if you can't afford the tax then you shouldn't drive the car. Problem is even a 1.6 engine pre 2008 is nearly €500 a year.

how can familys downgrade their pre08 1.9/1.6l diesels to smaller models. Try getting, a family of 4, prams, shopping etc in a yaris or corsa. Its not like us average families do a school run in luxury cars, we do it in ford mondeos, vectras, Picassos etc.

dgt wrote: »

I don't believe it, speak of the devil..... There it is again in Kennedy plaza, Navan. Large as life.

The driver sure has a hard neck

Whats that, over 6 years out of tax? :rolleyes:
    was that a photo you posted then? I think I remember it.

I'll say this, those who cough up for the tax well done. Now go heckle the orse off your local county councillors for better & safer roads & infrastructure to see money well received well spent as well as getting a reduced rate next year.
    To those who dodge paying it, get a real job! I don't pay periodically because I'm not using the roads for those length of time when I'm out working abroad so don't tell me the system isn't fair!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Say what you want about the system being fair or whatever, but dodging tax should not be a badge of honour.

Doesnt work that way, you're not subsiding others. Its a govt decision to target the least well off by hiking their motor taxes to subsidise those who can afford new cars, grossly unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Its all well and good some of the earlier posts here saying if you can't afford the tax then you shouldn't drive the car. Problem is even a 1.6 engine pre 2008 is nearly €500 a year.

how can familys downgrade their pre08 1.9/1.6l diesels to smaller models. Try getting, a family of 4, prams, shopping etc in a yaris or corsa. Its not like us average families do a school run in luxury cars, we do it in ford mondeos, vectras, Picassos etc.

The future for Ireland...
    India-scooter-m_0.jpg

Believe me I've moved mates with all their possessions including 40" hd tv's etc in the back of my Yaris many times to & from the UK & around Ireland, it is do-able!

was that a photo you posted then? I think I remember it.

Thats the one.

Will I see it again same time next year....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

I know a girl who drives a 1.9tdi VW 2000. It hasnt had a bit of NCT or tax since about June 2011. She drives all the time on primary road/dual carriage ways etc. Tyres are bald, only one light working on the back etc..I do always have a glance anytime iam walking by the car. I seen the other day that she just took everything off the window, no nct, tax or insurance or even a disc holder, just the bare window now. :D

What's with this school runs thing anyway. Don't kids have legs anymore?

I thought Santy was bringing me a bicycle this year??

we walk when we can. Unfortunately the weather in the west doesn't allow it too often.

Haha yeah i remember the days of walking to school in the pis*ing rain getting into class and being soaked

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »

Doesnt work that way, you're not subsiding others. Its a govt decision to target the least well off by hiking their motor taxes to subsidise those who can afford new cars, grossly unfair.
    He probably is subsidizing someone state benefits if you want to go there..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement