Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

has motor tax passed the "is it worth buying" rate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Swanner wrote: »
    Motor tax has become ridiculous. I do 3 months on 3 months off. Sometimes go 4 months before renewing. If they looked for a more reasonable amount I would be happy to pay it but €1500 for a 06 car is a farce. The chances of getting away with it are far greater then the chances of getting caught so its well worth it IMO.

I have an 07 car and its less than a third of that! You're not forced to drive a big engines car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Bearcat wrote: »

Sure....but they have an fair motor tax system.....ours is plainly an abortion....I'm imminently going to chop up my landcruiser to a commercial which I'm entitled to do......1800€ is outrageous......then the home tax.

What this country has done has made us all entrench and say fugh this.
    I'm going back to riding a motor bike with my big middle finger held high.
    http://youtu.be/olD8Nv7C8qs
    Can I be treasurer to your MC & fiddle the books?? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bigus wrote: »

How do you downgrade from a 2 L mondeo that is worthless. .?

Not being smart but buy a bike. I did it to replace the saab.

Not going to suit every one but not every one is out to dodge their tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

The GoSafe speed vans are being upgraded to check for tax.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/100m-car-tax-dodgers-to-be-caught-by-speed-cameras-3243034.html

Also the declared off the road statements ae being changed to be before you take the car off the road not after as is the current system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

my banger costs me 17 euro a week to tax, why do i drive it, no choice i cannot walk, there is no public transport advailable, i cannot get out of a low car, now i need an auto box as i cannot change gear, i am told that i fulfill none of the criteria for the primary cert, yet one of my former employers has it, he also walks 7 miles twice a day for his health, i have some serious decisions to make in the future, one of them is, do i deciede to become housebound, the gov are losing some serious revenue while the present systm is in place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

cgarrad wrote: »
    The GoSafe speed vans are being upgraded to check for tax.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/100m-car-tax-dodgers-to-be-caught-by-speed-cameras-3243034.html

Also the declared off the road statements ae being changed to be before you take the car off the road not after as is the current system.
    PRIVATE speed cameras could be used to detect motor tax dodgers as the Government desperately tries to recover €100m worth of car tax lost each year.

I'll believe it when I see it.

As some one suggested already if you want a balanced system I reckon every one should pay via fuel. Pay for the amount you use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

In this whole debate about motor tax, I fail to see how the value of the car has any relevance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I phoned the local Gard station(also traffic core central for the region) to ask about declaring my car off the road as i have a fractured shoulder,fractured pelvis and torn rotator cuff so driving will be a long way off. I wanted to know if they'd need proof it was off the road or if the Sorn thing had already been implemented. No proof needed at all just come in and get the form stamped :rolleyes: And they wonder why the system is abused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I'm suprised people just aren't making up their own tax disks on the computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Can't afford not to drive either?

Isn't that often the case. Especially when Bus Atha Cliath takes 2 hours to get to work on a good day. (And even with tax, works out more expensive than driving to work in 20 minutes)

Motor Tax is an easy strangler because so many people have to drive. Honestly, I don't care if anyone's driving with tax or without.... it's a matter of piece of mind. If my car was worth less than the tax charge, I'd give serious thought to just not bothering with it because it's cheaper to have it seized and just get another.

Especially with such a low risk of getting caught.

So what if it's illegal. So's using my car to transport stuff for work (Private insurance, not commercial). So's a lot of things everyone does daily. And probably without realising they're illegal.

If it's more onerous to follow the law, than to stay outside it.... there's something seriously wrong there. And not necessarily with the punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Maybe because it's illegal?

I think some one posted here already that people area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Valetta wrote: »
    Maybe because it's illegal?

Not paying your tax is also illegal. Doesn't stop people not doing it.

Don't think I've ever read in the paper of anyone being prosecuted for a forged tax disk.

Bigus wrote: »

How do you downgrade from a 2 L mondeo that is worthless. .?
    simple, go into your nearest dealership, point & say "I want that one"
    I think elderly people in rural areas are entitled to drive if they can't walk and there is no public transport.
    Fair point but Bigger risk on main roads than boy racers statistically since br's are being irradiated & running into walls trying to overtake biddy doing 20 in a 40 zone.. :D However I do agree that there should be more infrastructural support for the elderly so they don't have to drive & face confusing speeds..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

piperh wrote: »
    I phoned the local Gard station(also traffic core central for the region) to ask about declaring my car off the road as i have a fractured shoulder,fractured pelvis and torn rotator cuff so driving will be a long way off. I wanted to know if they'd need proof it was off the road or if the Sorn thing had already been implemented. No proof needed at all just come in and get the form stamped :rolleyes: And they wonder why the system is abused.

The Gardai are only witnesses to you declarating that the car is off the road, they are not enforcers of that declaration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I pay 800/year in car tax but since I actually come across checkpoints every once in a while I'll still pay up when reminder comes in the mail.
    If I lived out in the sticks I'd probably reconsider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

hytrogen wrote: »
    simple, go into your nearest dealership, point & say "I want that one"

Did a quick check on carzone(yeh yeh:)), there are only 6 cars in the entire country available at a price under €4k that are year 08+, 4 of them Chevrolet.

What price do you suggest that those should ditch their old cars and get new cars to avail of the cheaper tax rate?

gurramok wrote: »
    Did a quick check on carzone(yeh yeh:)), there are only 6 cars in the entire country available at a price under €4k that are year 08+, 4 of them Chevrolet.

What price do you suggest that those should ditch their old cars and get new cars to avail of the cheaper tax rate?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Clio/3-1.4-16/201245210892288/advert?channel=CARS Looking for €5k but you may get it cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Not paying your tax is also illegal. Doesn't stop people not doing it.

Don't think I've ever read in the paper of anyone being prosecuted for a forged tax disk.

Passive/active law-breaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

piperh wrote: »
    This will be addressed at some point in that you will have to declare it off the road before you take it off. So if you're caught it's not just no tax, it's in a car that is declared off the road - whatever the penalty is for that.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/motor-tax-reform-will-require-drivers-to-prove-cars-are-off-the-road-460585-May2012/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

godtabh wrote: »

If you cant afford the tax you cant afford the car so get rid of it.

If the tax for a 2l car is to much downgrade. Its your choice what car you drive and your responsibility to ensure its taxed accordingly.

The sense of entitlement in this threads make me sick. Every one knows motor tax is likely to go up and up. So maybe reassess if that 2005 2l car is worth buying long term. You may want it and you maybe able to afford the tax this year but what about next year?

Maybe the 1.2l Punto is the more prudent option. It maybe not what you want to drive but if it gets you from A-B and you can afford the tax whats the problem. I'd have no problem with a punto. Drove one for 5 years

I've a 2004 avensis diesel I travel 50m a day round trip on bad roads
    Tax next year is €710 I think .
    Just humor me here but if I could afford the same car in an 2008 model which is exactly the same engine/ emissions
    What would my tax be ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

godtabh wrote: »

You upped the max price by a grand to 5k. That leaves 66 cars in the entire country, nearly a third are Chevrolet. Yet thats the market for hundreds of thousands of motorists to change over? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think its because things are moving on from the disc being the proof that you'd paid your share... ANPR in all Traffic Corps cars and Gosafe vans is the way to go (a start anyway) and wardens getting a 10% commission on all cars they book for no tax would be another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A sorn system, widespread anpr, and a tie in with an insurance register would quickly identify the non compliant.

This sounds harsh, but if you cannot afford to tax the car you shouldn't drive it.

How convenient. I could afford my car when I bought it. Tax has now gone up in leaps and bounds, since. Crystal-ball gaze much ?

SORN and ANPR will just bring us to the UK situation becoming rife: cloning etc.

Oh, and, ANPR can't read this............

232562.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I've a 2004 avensis diesel I travel 50m a day round trip on bad roads
    Tax next year is €710 I think .
    Just humor me here but if I could afford the same car in an 2008 model which is exactly the same engine/ emissions
    What would my tax be ????

you drive an avensis. You tell me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

galwaytt wrote: »

How convenient. I could afford my car when I bought it. Tax has now gone up in leaps and bounds, since. Crystal-ball gaze much ?

SORN and ANPR will just bring us to the UK situation becoming rife: cloning etc.

Oh, and, ANPR can't read this............

232562.jpg

They photograph from the front to get a cleaner plate and a photo of the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

corktina wrote: »
    i think its because things are moving on from the disc being the proof that you'd paid your share... ANPR in all Traffic Corps cars and Gosafe vans is the way to go (a start anyway) and wardens getting a 10% commission on all cars they book for no tax would be another.

My tax is out since august and I have passed loads of Traffic Corps Avensis and none of them have followed me yet. When is the go safe thing coming in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've been driving for 6 years.
    90% of this has been in Dublin. With the remaining 10% with trips to Sligo (where the gf is from) and random weekends away / golf trips.
    And i have NEVER seen a checkpoint anywhere, not once.

And i can count on 1 hand the amount of speed checks i've seen.
    Maybe im just lucky and seem to miss all this.

And for the record i've always paid my tax. It would make me wonder why i even bother when I can easily get away with.

But dont worry, i still will :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

grand too say add it to petrol.

australia has 3rd party insurance added to petrol

but our tax rates are extortionate anyway

the tax on petrol as it is is ridiculous. its already got to the point of diminishing return but they cant see that.

if the government dropped 10- 15 cent on petrol and diesel the general populous would be much happyer. everything drops as transport costs drop.

and they`d probably get the exact same in tax cos people would drive more

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »

One that would be economically viable for ones current economic standards perhaps?
    I don't suggest anything to be frankly honest, I would agree with OP that the costs have risen & will put people off the road but if you're not economically viable because you may be a tight orse or otherwise then downgrade & get over it rockstar. Otherwise read a previous post I said about Clermont & understand the broader picture

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement