Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone see my wing mirror being swiped off?

Options
  • 07-12-2012 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Mods, apologies if this is not the right thread.

Basically on Saturday 24th November at 9.30 a.m. I was heading into town on Victoria Quay (the stretch of quay just past the Croppy Acres). I was stopped at the lights, first in line, at Rory O'Moore bridge (the blue bridge that takes you to Watling St and up to the back entrance of Guinness's) when a low loader carrying beer kegs came up on my inside. It's a right turn only lane and he was obviously taking the kegs to Guinness's. It's a very tight turn especially for such a long vehicle and he took it too wide and took my wing mirror with him! :mad:. I honked as did others behind me and he pulled in on the bridge. He apologised many times and we exchanged details. I didn't call the guards as it was only my mirror and some minor paint damage and we were holding up traffic on the bridge.

I informed my insurance company (which is the same one as his) and took my car to their recommended garage for an estimate. Its only a small amount (€235) and I had hoped it would have been sorted pretty quickly. Three weeks later and I'm still waiting! Because it wasn't a private car insurance but a commercial one it's proving more difficult. They're waiting on them to admit liability :eek:.

I'm pretty fed up at this stage. Three weeks without a wing mirror is not good. I feel like paying for the repair myself but it's the principle of it. I wouldn't mind if I was claiming for whiplash or something else that didn't happen but it's a bloody wing mirror!

So, did anyone see this happen? Bit of a long shot I know but Boardsies have surprised me in the past and I'm ever hopeful! Please pm me if you were a witness.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think you may have gotten a bit caught up in the principle. Fix your bloody mirror, you're a danger to yourself and others without it; ironically in much the same way the truck was a danger to you. If they admit liability, get the money off them. If they don't, or they refuse to pay, take them to small claims.

But fix your bloody mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Similar happened to me, takes a little longer than a private car but its just a process, your car will get fixed eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

€235 is a bit steep is it not? I suppose it depends on the car.

This happened me before only my car was parked and i came back to find my wing mirror gone.

I ordered a new one online for about €45 and my husband put it on. Would you not do something like that?

Definitely wouldnt be driving around without one especially in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Fix your car... wait for the insurance claim to come in afterwards.

For such a small amount of a fix as well, it's crazy not to fix it. Waiting on an insurance claim to come through before doing so is a bit nuts, especially with somethig like a wing mirror which could cause you to be in another accident without it!

Also you'll find that they will probably never admit liability and it may have to go to court, but then you're talking a lot longer of a wait than three weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

€235 is a bit steep is it not? I suppose it depends on the car.

This happened me before only my car was parked and i came back to find my wing mirror gone.

I ordered a new one online for about €45 and my husband put it on. Would you not do something like that?

Definitely wouldnt be driving around without one especially in the city.

Im fairly sure it cost my father a couple of hundred quid to get a wing mirror replaced when a bird flew into it and smashed it while he was driving. Youre certainly not going to get an electric one bought and fitted for €45...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

dar83 wrote: »

Also you'll find that they will probably never admit liability and it may have to go to court, but then you're talking a lot longer of a wait than three weeks!

Why would they not admit liability? It's a tiny claim:confused:. Are we talking the Small Claims Court here? Supposing they rule against me would I have to pay costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Maybe see if you can pick up a second hand mirror from one of the scrap yards or ebay or something; might get a good price from a smaller garage to fit it, it's not such a big job.

Lost a mirror off my own car and found one on ebay for £40; electric mirror with heated glass.

djimi wrote: »
    Im fairly sure it cost my father a couple of hundred quid to get a wing mirror replaced when a bird flew into it and smashed it while he was driving. Youre certainly not going to get an electric one bought and fitted for €45...

Yes, unfortunately it's electric. Might shop around though seeing as I'll be paying for it while I wait for the claim to come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

SCC is only for consumer issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

It sounds weird I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't admit liability. I was basically just saying to be prepared for that and so don't be hanging around waiting until it is sorted to get the car fixed.

All going well they will do the right thing, but you can't depend on anyone for that these days. :)

Also the estimate doesn't sound too bad if they have taken the paint damage you mentioned into account and were fixing that as well for that price. It actually sounds like quite a decent price if it involves that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Reminds me when working in the US many years ago driving around an old Dodge junker with no rear view mirror or wing mirrors. I checked over my shoulder every now and then, got the fright of my life when I checked a saw a huge Police 4WD lit up like a Christmas tree inches from my number, no idea how long he had been there. When he pulled me over he asked if I was visually impaired, thankfully he didn't notice my lack of mirrors.

OP, get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Why would they not admit liability? It's a tiny claim:confused:. Are we talking the Small Claims Court here? Supposing they rule against me would I have to pay costs?

The insurance industry advise against admitting liability.It doesn't mean they won't pay for the mirror.They are just covering themselves in case the OP were to suddenly decide that the car had 5 occupants and they were all injured.The OP is obviously not a chancer,but lots of people are.

stimpson wrote: »

Mainly. Not only. The op has a perfectly valid claim here.

stimpson wrote: »

Mainly, not only. The op has a perfectly valid property damage claim here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

dahamsta wrote: »
    Mainly, not only. The op has a perfectly valid property damage claim here.

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I was stopped at the lights, first in line, at Rory O'Moore bridge (the blue bridge that takes you to Watling St and up to the back entrance of Guinness's) when a low loader carrying beer kegs came up on my inside.
    I see those trucks driving irresponsibly around town regularly. They're a menace and it's really terrible PR for a company which is so concerned with it's public image.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

Is there a conflict of interest with the insurance company as both are insured by them... Don't they have to clarify this? And they should have this sorted, no mater if commercial or private. that is a poor excuse. You should be dealing with it yourself and not the insurance company anyway.
    I got driven over in my old car by a volvo A300 earthmover, denied responsibility, but i had a mate turn up and take photos of the scene at the time. the usual dragging of the heals by the FK insurance company until they got a montage ;)

So, if you have a witness, go for blood with your own insurance company, pointing out you more than likely wont be renewing with them over the dragging of the heels...
    Good luke with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

O/p is your own insurance through a broker or was it obtained on line?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Happened me a good year ago. Coming into a little village and the road narrows. Tractor came the opposite way and a yellow pole was sticking out at the end of his trailer. I was into the ditch and he took my mirror of at the bare stump. Drove into the village, did a quick U-turn and bombed it out after him. Took him 10 minutes to stop even though I was beeping at him the whole time. Asked him why didn't he stop after he hit me and he said there was no where to stop even though he drove past a lay by for the speed camera van AND a 400metre long stretch of grass margin. Then he said it wasn't his fault and I should have been able to avoid it. Ended up calling the guards for a bloody mirror! Good thing I did because it cost €350 to buy without installation costs. Ended up paying half myself for some reason even though his stupid trailer was over a foot wider than half the width of the road after the guards measured it. Was raging at the time, especially when I found out from a mate, who knew the guy driving the tractor, that the guy had already been involved in 3 collisions in the last year, one which involved him reversing into a parked car twice and then attempting to drive off but was stopped by witnesses... Some people ay? Also disappointed in the people behind me. No one even stopped to help. They all just drove on even though they definately saw what happened considering pieces flew all over the place

O/p is your own insurance through a broker or was it obtained on line?

My insurance is with the company directly and theirs is through a broker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement