Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Junction station

Options
  • 12-08-2014 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭

Does this station have parking and, if it does, is it safe and how much is it? The Dart website says it doesn't but the Google Street View suggests otherwise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

I've been at Howth Junction late at night and it's not looked the safest place to be to be frank, seen an out and out fight on the DART twice in the evening and a group of chavs congregating around there late at night.

Saying that I've never seen any trouble there during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

A good number of years ago when I lived nearby it had some parking (basically the cul-de-sac didn't have any yellow lines) but I'd be wary of leaving my car there. It might be safer to leave it nearer one of the buildings or the GAA club but again you'd really need to go down and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

markpb wrote: »
    Does this station have parking and, if it does, is it safe and how much is it? The Dart website says it doesn't but the Google Street View suggests otherwise.

it doesn't have a car park so I imgine that's what DART website refers to.

There are a few on-street spaces but nothing secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

There is parking. But I wouldn't leave a car unattended there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Car parking is mainly on street parking either side. Ive parked there in the day without any probs but it wouldnt be the most secure place to park. Its the same as anywhere including car parks, if you dont leave anything valuable visible in the car then you have a better chance of your car not being touched.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I used to work in the industrial estate between the two lines late nights years ago and got DARTs around 10-11pm and it was fine, if very lonely/dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

I've been there three times on a Friday and Saturday night and I'd say the only station I've seen more problems in is Broombridge.

But maybe I was unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sfcdub

I live near it. It always feels dodgy (to an extent that I'd get off at Kilbarrack and walk around to avoid HJ), but there's never been any huge problems. Main source of trouble is the other end - by the old signal house where you might encounter some people you wouldn't want to. That and the other bridge which is closed to the platforms, which leads to the industrial estate.

I've never seen many cars there, so maybe go with something that has safety in numbers.. The main problem with the station is its become a wasteland. Big, ugly, unneccessary, unmanned building which attracts trouble. The exit to the Kilbarrack Road too has become a dark laneway almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

Cheers everyone. I'm only thinking about leaving the car there during the day so I presume it would be okay. Google street view shows a dozen or so spaces right outside the station on Kilbarrack Way - are they owned by IE or the council? I presume they're free either way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sfcdub

markpb wrote: »
    Cheers everyone. I'm only thinking about leaving the car there during the day so I presume it would be okay. Google street view shows a dozen or so spaces right outside the station on Kilbarrack Way - are they owned by IE or the council? I presume they're free either way?

Not sure who owns them, definitely free though, no sign of a metre anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I definitely saw bullet holes one of the walls near the bridge that crosses over the platform. Terrifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    I definitely saw bullet holes one of the walls near the bridge that crosses over the platform. Terrifying!
    Does anyone know if the 17a ever terminated in the loop in front of the station? Seems odd that the terminus is around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

jaymcg91 wrote: »

Hold on a second - it's not Dodge City ! Personally I would park on the housing estate side as plenty of people do already. Around the back is a bit isolated, but may be OK., best to scout it out first, maybe ask a parked car owner what the score is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

stop wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the 17a ever terminated in the loop in front of the station? Seems odd that the terminus is around the corner.

The airlink bus used to leave from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

I asked IR, DB and local councillors about that years ago but the only one who answered was David Healy
    I was asking him (John McBride, DB) in relation to stopping at the Dart station instead of in
    the Industrial Estate. I didn't get a clear answer, though I take it it is
    about the turning circle there. There is some problem but he didn't express
    what it is. Dublin Bus and Irish Rail are to come to an Area Cttee meeting
    soon, so I'll bring it up again there, if not before.

It seems Irish Rail didn't get any planning permission from Fingal for Howth
    Junction Station. I'm already pushing on that in relation to disabled
    access from the north; I'll add the turning circle to that.

I never heard back from him about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

There is no full loop where a bus could turn, plus the roads are quite narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I use Howth Junction regularly and even off the last DART on many occasions. While it definitely has a dangerous feel to the place, I have never encountered one bit of hassle from the local youths who tend to hang around the place. They are usually too interested in their own little world.

The Donaghmede side is into a built up residential area, and you should have no more issues than any other place late at night.

The Kilbarrack side which I have used, is into a quiet industrial area, but all the metal fencing imo makes it seem worse than it is. There is always workers loading / unloading at the PR Reilly facility, security is on in Denis Mahony's, Naomh Barrog GAA clubhouse is just there and the 17A bus is normally in the area. Far quieter places around than that in Dublin.

Now to the original question. People park cars for the normal commute 8am to 6.30pm on the Kilbarrack side every day and is quite popular. But all are gone by late evening.

Advertisement