Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus from Blanchardstown D15 to the airport

• 10-08-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi

Can someone tell me how to get from d15 to the airport by public transport, no airlink,747 pls

I should get to raddison blue hotel there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

There's no direct way. You can get a 17A to Santry and then a 16/41 to the airport. Or else into town and onto said buses, as the 17A isn't very frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MRedd

Thanks, most kind, most kind¨!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Taxi is prob your best bet its around 20 euro. Too much messing with having to change buses a few times to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

17a is every 20 minutes during the day. I've gotten it out to the airport before (changing in Santry to the 16), but you'll want to leave at least an hour and a half for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

jjbrien wrote: »
    Taxi is prob your best bet its around 20 euro. Too much messing with having to change buses a few times to be honest

Not a few times, one change to be honest. 17A Blanch - Santry, 16/41 Santry - Airport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Doing 17A plus 16/41 should take in and around an hour if you do it at the right time of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

Kinda off topic, but if someone has the business experience and resources available to provide a bus route between the airport and d15, I believe there's money to be made. There's around 200,000 people in d15 and no direct bus route to the main airport in the country, which is only a 15-20 min drive away. It can take people in certain parts of d15 nearly 2 hours to get to airport by public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Kinda off topic, but if someone has the business experience and resources available to provide a bus route between the airport and d15, I believe there's money to be made.

Somebody did, Urbus to be precise, ran hourly Swords-Airport-Blanch-Castleknock and served a large catchment area in between. It ran for around 10 years but was cancelled early last year due to not being profitable.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056877182

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭thomasj

Another option would be train to drumcondra and then 16 or 41 from the bus stop outside the station to the airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

thomasj wrote: »
    Another option would be train to drumcondra and then 16 or 41 from the bus stop outside the station to the airport

Assuming you live by the station. Also there's only 1 train per hour off peak so got to think of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Kinda off topic, but if someone has the business experience and resources available to provide a bus route between the airport and d15, I believe there's money to be made. There's around 200,000 people in d15 and no direct bus route to the main airport in the country, which is only a 15-20 min drive away. It can take people in certain parts of d15 nearly 2 hours to get to airport by public transport.

The part in bold is the problem, it's too close to the airport. Once there's more than 1 person travelling a taxi will probably make more sense. Same as there's no airport express service from Swords.

Urbus had a hugely meandering route which meant the journey to the airport took forever compared to a taxi which didn't help either.

The part in bold is the problem, it's too close to the airport. Once there's more than 1 person travelling a taxi will probably make more sense. Same as there's no airport express service from Swords.

Urbus had a hugely meandering route which meant the journey to the airport took forever compared to a taxi which didn't help either.

Along with a meandering route Urbus was very unreliable. You were never guaranteed it would show up. I remember waiting at the airport a few years back on it to get back to Castleknock waited over an hour and finally it came.

The issue with this bus also was It didnt serve all of D15 only a few select areas. Id send it along the 39 bus route till it got to Blanch village then make it go via Castleknock then down aubern Ave and direct to the airport via the M50. Its a pity Dublin bus doesn't extend the 220 to cover the airport could easily be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Polar101

Id send it along the 39 bus route till it got to Blanch village then make it go via Castleknock then down aubern Ave and direct to the airport via the M50.

This route seems to make sense.

What is the reason something like this has never been in place? It must be something with operating licences or similar. I'm assuming anyone connected to the taxi industry would be unhappy, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

The URbus was a nightmare. I used to get it the odd time instead of the 237 to Blanchardstown shopping centre. It was €1.50 from Castleknock to the shopping centre, or €5.50 to the airport. This was when you could get an adult cash fare to the city centre for about two euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Polar101 wrote: »
    This route seems to make sense.

What is the reason something like this has never been in place? It must be something with operating licences or similar. I'm assuming anyone connected to the taxi industry would be unhappy, at least.

Or maybe, just maybe, someone with experience of running a bus service has crunched the numbers and discovered that given the proximity to the airport, the zig-zag route required to hit population centres, the costs involved - that it just doesn't make financial sense? Not everything is a conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Polar101

Or maybe, just maybe, someone with experience of running a bus service has crunched the numbers and discovered that given the proximity to the airport, the zig-zag route required to hit population centres, the costs involved - that it just doesn't make financial sense? Not everything is a conspiracy.

It would be excellent if that were the case, but the D15 area isn't exactly known for brilliant public transport planning. Still, if you are near the Blanch centre then the 17A option isn't too bad.

However, it's still a joke that there's no direct service to the airport (from D15). I can understand that air passengers aren't the best way to get revenue, since most people would only use the service occasionally - but if the service was good enough to attract commuters, then it would make more sense.

No need to mention metro west/north.

Polar101 wrote: »
    It would be excellent if that were the case, but the D15 area isn't exactly known for brilliant public transport planning. Still, if you are near the Blanch centre then the 17A option isn't too bad.

However, it's still a joke that there's no direct service to the airport (from D15). I can understand that air passengers aren't the best way to get revenue, since most people would only use the service occasionally - but if the service was good enough to attract commuters, then it would make more sense.

No need to mention metro west/north.

Thats why I think it wouldnt be too much bother extending the 220 to the Airport. But there is no forward thinking in transport in this county. Took 20 years to even start building the Luas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The issue with this bus also was It didnt serve all of D15 only a few select areas. Id send it along the 39 bus route till it got to Blanch village then make it go via Castleknock then down aubern Ave and direct to the airport via the M50.

I'm guessing that would be perfect for your requirements of a D15/airport bus?
    However its of little or no use to those of us in Corduff, Castlecurragh, Dromheath, Tyrellstown etc. So go fcuk yourself with your preferred route :)

I think it just highlights as said by schemingbohemia that you either have a direct route with only a few stops in D15 (in which case people may have to trael 2Km to a stop) or you have a meandering zigzag through every estate in D15 which people use once and decide 'never again, just get a taxi'.

But why does it have to take a trek through Dublin 15 before heading to the airport?

A lot of people now travel to the centre to connect with for example the 17a or the 39a.

Why not just run it from the centre

I'm guessing that would be perfect for your requirements of a D15/airport bus?
    However its of little or no use to those of us in Corduff, Castlecurragh, Dromheath, Tyrellstown etc. So go fcuk yourself with your preferred route :)

I think it just highlights as said by schemingbohemia that you either have a direct route with only a few stops in D15 (in which case people may have to trael 2Km to a stop) or you have a meandering zigzag through every estate in D15 which people use once and decide 'never again, just get a taxi'.

Actually no it would not be my preferred route. I only trew it out there as it goes and finishes in Ballymun. It does start in Ladys Well Road which they could start it off in Tyrellstown, come down past ITB then turn and head onto Ladys Well Road on its normal route then heading to Ballymun and finishing at the airport. That would cover Cordruff and a good few other places.

• Advertisement

But why does it have to take a trek through Dublin 15 before heading to the airport?

A lot of people now travel to the centre to connect with for example the 17a or the 39a.

Why not just run it from the centre

A bus from the centre via Blanch and Castleknock Village would be idel kinda like the bus that goes from the Red Cow Luas via Liffey Valley to the airport. The biggest issue with Urbus was the adventure it took to get to the airport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

A few years ago dublin bus tried to extend the 220 to the airport, this was rejected by the NTA and dublin bus was refused licence to extend the route, so its not always dublin bus fault!!

A few years ago dublin bus tried to extend the 220 to the airport, this was rejected by the NTA and dublin bus was refused licence to extend the route, so its not always dublin bus fault!!

Would that have been because of urbus or is it before its time?

I remember seeing a bus with 220 - Airport and thought that was bad but makes sense now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

Would that have been because of urbus or is it before its time?

I remember seeing a bus with 220 - Airport and thought that was bad but makes sense now.

As I remember the licence was refused to Dublin bus due to Urbus operating that corridor,the Urbus then stopped that service due to it not being financially viable (something which may occur again in the future with the governments privatisation plans in 2016).Then due to Dublin Bus scaling back some services never reapplied for the extension of the 220 to the airport,Im sure it could be a profitable service for some company,Blanchardstown-Finglas-Airport,highly populated areas.

As I remember the licence was refused to Dublin bus due to Urbus operating that corridor,the Urbus then stopped that service due to it not being financially viable (something which may occur again in the future with the governments privatisation plans in 2016).Then due to Dublin Bus scaling back some services never reapplied for the extension of the 220 to the airport,Im sure it could be a profitable service for some company,Blanchardstown-Finglas-Airport,highly populated areas.

Thats prob the only profitable route that D15 could get to the airport if it went that way.

Advertisement