Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport to Kilkenny

• 04-08-2014 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been looking for possible bus transport from Dublin Airport on 12 August at 14:00 to Kilkenny city.
    What are best options please?

JJ kanavagh bus leaves at 17:00 hrs, which means will have to wait for 3 hours which is not suitable.

Cant find any direct Airport bus transport from BusEireann services to Kilkenny.
    And Taxi will be too expensive :(

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

There is a train from Heuston @ 15.10 & 16.40 if you get into there in time.

Bus Eireann @ 15.15 from Zone 11.

Both a quick search on respective sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

you need to get the number 7 bus from Busaras one leaves at 15:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭masterboy123

this bus needs a change via Waterford.
    looking for direct bus transport as my relative is not familiar with Ireland.
    Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    There is a train from Heuston @ 15.10 & 16.40 if you get into there in time.

Bus Eireann @ 15.15 from Zone 11.

Both a quick search on respective sites.

number 7 bus eireann is direct.....will need to get into town to get it tho

approx how much would it cost by taxi at 2 PM to get to Busaras or Heuston railway station from the Dublin airport?

• Advertisement

Thought the number 7 was Dublin - Waterford via Kilkenny. Open to correction on that.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Thought the number 7 was Dublin - Waterford via Kilkenny. Open to correction on that.

Dublin to Clonmel/Cork depending on time of day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Hi,

I have been looking for possible bus transport from Dublin Airport on 12 August at 14:00 to Kilkenny city.
    What are best options please?

JJ kanavagh bus leaves at 17:00 hrs, which means will have to wait for 3 hours which is not suitable.

Cant find any direct Airport bus transport from BusEireann services to Kilkenny.
    And Taxi will be too expensive

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks

approx how much would it cost by taxi at 2 PM to get to Busaras or Heuston railway station from the Dublin airport?

Taxis between Dublin city centre and the airport are around 20 euros,

Aircoach run services between Dublin airport and Dublin city centre 24 hours for 7 euros single fare, every 15 minutes during the day.

http://aircoach.ie/timetables/route-700-dublin-airport-dublin-city-centre

Dublin Bus run a service between the airport and town also and goes to Heuston Station

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/7471/

there is a JJ Kavanaghs service at 1.30pm from the airport to Kilkenny, which going by the timetable, avoids certain stops and is quicker than their 5pm service, and is due to arrive in Kilkenny at 3.40pm

that particular service sounds like to quickest one, without having to get into town.

http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/images/stories/timetables/Clonmel%20timetable%2030%20Jun%202014.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Airlink bus goes directly to Busaras/Connolly for €6

It goes every 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Taxis between Dublin city centre and the airport are around 20 euros,

there is a JJ Kavanaghs service at 1.30pm from the airport to Kilkenny, which going by the timetable, avoids certain stops and is quicker than their 5pm service, and is due to arrive in Kilkenny at 3.40pm

that particular service sounds like to quickest one, without having to get into town.

http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/images/stories/timetables/Clonmel%20timetable%2030%20Jun%202014.pdf

I don't think they would of arrived at the airport at that time though ?

• Advertisement

I don't think they would of arrived at the airport at that time though ?

I just thought to mention it as its only 30 minutes earlier and takes less time than the 5pm service. (it wasn't indicated what time the flight is due in)

I mentioned the Dublin Bus and Aircoach connections between the airport and town, as another option, if they wanted to get to Heuston Station.

The Luas between Bus Aras and Heuston Station is another option!:)

yea 1:30, JJ Kavanagh was best but plane is landing at 1:30 which means 30-40 min extra to come out of the airport.

a taxi driver gave me a fixed price of 27 euros from Airport to Heuston, looks like i would take this option and then rail to MacDonagh kilkenny

yea 1:30, JJ Kavanagh was best but plane is landing at 1:30 which means 30-40 min extra to come out of the airport.

a taxi driver gave me a fixed price of 27 euros from Airport to Heuston, looks like i would take this option and then rail to MacDonagh kilkenny

Why not take the bus from the airport to Busaras? It's €6. You can then get the Luas to Heuston which is what, €1.50? Then take your train to Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭bikeman1

No idea why people are suggesting getting off the bus that is going to Heuston station and get on the luas to go there. The luas isn't that fast and the 747 setting down is not that slow! Not much in it.

Anyway OP according to the National Journey planner:

14:21 747 bus to Heuston Station arr 15:02 €6
    15:10 Heuston - Kilkenny arr 16:35

I would hazard a guess that the 747 would arrive earlier than that, especially in August when the streets around town are quieter and getting around O'Connell St on the 747.

Of course that is the latest 747 you can catch to make the train, if you get out earlier you may catch one before that, and have plenty of time at Heuston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

bikeman1 wrote: »
    No idea why people are suggesting getting off the bus that is going to Heuston station and get on the luas to go there. The luas isn't that fast and the 747 setting down is not that slow! Not much in it.

I would hazard a guess that the 747 would arrive earlier than that, especially in August when the streets around town are quieter and getting around O'Connell St on the 747.

Of course that is the latest 747 you can catch to make the train, if you get out earlier you may catch one before that, and have plenty of time at Heuston.

That's what I'd do too. The 747 gives itself a lot of extra time. Train is most certainly nicer than the 7 which goes *everywhere* and doesn't use the Motorway at all. If money's tight though, get on the 747 to Busáras and then the 7 to Kilkenny.

I think that it is not the OP that the journey is for, moreso visitors coming in who are not familiar with Ireland.

I didn't know it went to Heuston but thanks for clarifying. That is why 'some people' were instructing him to get off, because we didn't know it went there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

OP for all of these sort of queries, use the National Journey Planner at www.a-b.ie

It's there to provide information on how to get anywhere in the country, and as it is live avoids you being given incorrect information.

I suggested the Luas as one of a range of options for getting to Heuston Station, if for example, the person travelling from the airport, opted to take the Aircoach service into town.

The OP mentioned that getting a taxi, because of cost, would be the least preferable option, so I detailed the various public services, of which I am aware, that leave the airport into town and also the services from town to Heuston.

I did not suggest they alight the Dublin Bus service, to change for the Luas, that goes to Heuston. I mentioned the Luas as a way of getting to Heuston within 10-15 minutes, if they opted for the Aircoach service from the airport into town.

The aircoach airport - city centre service may not take as long as the Dublin Bus 747 Airlink service?

Aircoach estimate that their service takes 25 minutes from the airport into O'Connell St.

The details on the dublinbus.ie site about the 747 Dublin bus suggests that it may take 55 minutes to get from town to the airport at around 3pm.

"From 15:00hrs - 19:00hrs it can take up to 55 minutes to travel from O’Connell St. to Dublin Airport"

Can it also take that long, at that time, travelling from the airport into town?

I suggested the Luas as one of a range of options for getting to Heuston Station, if for example, the person travelling from the airport, opted to take the Aircoach service into town.

The OP mentioned that getting a taxi, because of cost, would be the least preferable option, so I detailed the various public services, of which I am aware, that leave the airport into town and also the services from town to Heuston.

I did not suggest they alight the Dublin Bus service, to change for the Luas, that goes to Heuston. I mentioned the Luas as a way of getting to Heuston within 10-15 minutes, if they opted for the Aircoach service from the airport into town.

The aircoach airport - city centre service may not take as long as the Dublin Bus 747 Airlink service?

Aircoach estimate that their service takes 25 minutes from the airport into O'Connell St.

The details on the dublinbus.ie site about the 747 Dublin bus suggests that it may take 55 minutes to get from town to the airport at around 3pm.

"From 15:00hrs - 19:00hrs it can take up to 55 minutes to travel from O’Connell St. to Dublin Airport"

Can it also take that long, at that time, travelling from the airport into town?

They are covering themselves by stating that - it's making sure that people leave sufficient time to get to the airport. It allows wriggle room for heavy traffic/delays en route.

Typically the 747 will take about 25 minutes to get to O'Connell Street, and about another 10-15 minutes to get to Heuston Station.

But that is of course dependant on traffic.

• Advertisement

thanks for the input everyone.

as my relative is not familiar with Ireland, we opt to use taxi from airport to heuston, and then Irishrail to Kilkenny :)

all suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

thanks for the input everyone.

as my relative is not familiar with Ireland, we opt to use taxi from airport to heuston, and then Irishrail to Kilkenny :)

all suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

See I don't understand this, if I was unfamiliar with a place and had the option of a bus whose last stop is where I want to go, or use a taxi that could take any route (at significant expense ie via M50) i'd pick the former.

See I don't understand this, if I was unfamiliar with a place and had the option of a bus whose last stop is where I want to go, or use a taxi that could take any route (at significant expense ie via M50) i'd pick the former.

The OP made an enquiry to a taxi driver and got a quote of 27 euros for a taxi from the airport to Heuston. I guess that that's pretty much what the fare would be, even if the taxi was not booked in advance.

Perhaps they are opting to get an earlier train, for example the train at 3.10pm. If they get a taxi, following arrival at the airport after 2pm, and allowing for 30 -40 minutes to collect bags, they'd be more sure of making the connection for the train, than going by bus.

The 747 Airlink stops at Talbot Street, Gardiner Street, Cathal Brugha Street and O'Connell Street before going to Heuston, so that would eat up more time than going direct by taxi.

The OP made an enquiry to a taxi driver and got a quote of 27 euros for a taxi from the airport to Heuston. I guess that that's pretty much what the fare would be, even if the taxi was not booked in advance.

Perhaps they are opting to get an earlier train, for example the train at 3.10pm. If they get a taxi, following arrival at the airport after 2pm, and allowing for 30 -40 minutes to collect bags, they'd be more sure of making the connection for the train, than going by bus.

The 747 Airlink stops at Bus Aras coming from the airport before going to Heuston, so that would eat up more time than going direct by taxi.

The 747 does NOT stop at Busaras inbound - it serves Talbot Street, Gardiner Street, Cathal Brugha Street and O'Connell Street.

Typical inbound journey time is about 40 minutes to Heuston from the Airport.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The 747 does NOT stop at Busaras inbound - it serves Talbot Street, Gardiner Street, Cathal Brugha Street and O'Connell Street.

Typical inbound journey time is about 40 minutes to Heuston from the Airport.

thanks for the clarification, I have edited my post above to include the detail you gave.

I had mentioned Bus Aras, in relation to the possibility that intermediate stops on that service, would result in the journey from the airport taking longer to than it might by taxi, so now with three other stops in the city centre before O'Connell St, it might strengthen the reasoning for the OP's decision, if they were hoping to get that 3.10pm train at Heuston, to opt for the taxi over the bus.:)

I thought it did stop at Bus Aras because it mentions Bus Aras for both routes, to and from the airport and Heuston Station, on the timetable.

"Dublin Airport » 30mins » BusÁras (Central Bus Station) » 10mins » O'Connell St. » 20mins » Heuston Rail Station"

and

"Heuston Rail Station » 20mins » O'Connell St. » 10mins » BusÁras (Central Bus Station) » 30mins » Dublin Airport".

I understand that all the 747s, coming from Heuston to the airport, do stop at Bus Aras.

I have seen people going to the airport getting on the 747 when it leaves from Bus Aras at around 11.30pm, or shortly after 11.30pm, outside the main entrance.

Yes - it serves Busaras outbound only. Inbound it leaves you 5 minutes walk away.

so regarding 747 bus, its going to cost 6 euros over 27 euros by a taxi and going to take 40 minutes,
    will reconsider my taxi option....

so regarding 747 bus, its going to cost 6 euros over 27 euros by a taxi and going to take 40 minutes,
    will reconsider my taxi option....

It will typically take 40 minutes depending on traffic - it may take a little longer depending on the traffic conditions.

Yes - it serves Busaras outbound only. Inbound it leaves you 5 minutes walk away.

In all fairness, it's 100m down Store Street and it even says "Talbot Street; Alight for Busáras"

• Advertisement

In all fairness, it's 100m down Store Street and it even says "Talbot Street; Alight for Busáras"

The point of my post was that it doesn't "loop the loop" around Busaras as was being implied - it keeps going.

The point of my post was that it doesn't "loop the loop" around Busaras as was being implied - it keeps going.

I guess you are referring to my post, #24, which I edited.

I acknowledged the detail you gave and I corrected the reference in my message to the stops coming from the airport.

I had understood that the 747 heading from the airport to Heuston stopped at Bus Aras, because I see that service stop there on the way to the airport.

The other reason I thought it stopped at Bus Aras in both directions, is because Bus Aras is written on the 747 Airlink timetable for both directions on the Dublin Bus website.

Interestingly, there is no mention of Talbot Street on that page.

Why doesn't it just state Talbot Street, as the stop nearest Bus Aras?

I'm guessing they don't feel it necessary to be that specific because the stop at Talbot Street coming from the airport is only a drop off point?

I guess you are referring to my original post which I have since edited.

I acknowledged the detail you gave and I corrected the reference in my message to the stops coming from the airport.

I had understood that the 747 heading from the airport to Heuston stopped at Bus Aras, because I see that service stop there on the way to the airport.

The other reason I thought it stopped at Bus Aras in both directions, is because Bus Aras is written on the 747 Airlink timetable for both directions on the Dublin Bus website.

Interestingly, there is no mention of Talbot Street on that page.

Why doesn't it just state Talbot Street, as the stop nearest Bus Aras?

I'm guessing they don't feel it necessary to be that specific because the stop at Talbot Street coming from the airport is only a drop off point?

Maybe so that passengers for Busáras will use it? Like you can see Busáras from the stop, just because it doesn't circle the loop doesn't mean it doesn't serve it. It's like the 66 buses on Parkgate St, it's not technically Heuston but they note Heuston as that's what everyone uses it for. Interestingly enough it's not a dropoff only, you *could* pick up the 747 anywhere it stops but most don't as it's flat fare.

Maybe so that passengers for Busáras will use it? Like you can see Busáras from the stop, just because it doesn't circle the loop doesn't mean it doesn't serve it. It's like the 66 buses on Parkgate St, it's not technically Heuston but they note Heuston as that's what everyone uses it for. Interestingly enough it's not a dropoff only, you *could* pick up the 747 anywhere it stops but most don't as it's flat fare.

Can people take it from Talbot Street to Heuston Station, providing they pay 6 euros?

It'd probably be 6 or 7 euros from there to Heuston by taxi, so not much difference, (although the Luas would be less)

Taxi is booked now for pickup from Airport and drop to Heuston station.

In future we will use 747, thanks for detailed replies everyone :)

Can people take it from Talbot Street to Heuston Station, providing they pay 6 euros?

It'd probably be 6 or 7 euros from there to Heuston by taxi, so not much difference, (although the Luas would be less)

In theory. Whether the drivers know or not that's another question... I don't see it handy in many situations unless you've got an annual travelwide and you're at Dame St. wanting to go to Heuston. Everywhere else is served by luas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

In theory. Whether the drivers know or not that's another question... I don't see it handy in many situations unless you've got an annual travelwide and you're at Dame St. wanting to go to Heuston. Everywhere else is served by luas.

Don't forget - Dublin Bus rambler tickets are also valid on it.

This post has been deleted.

It is and it isn't as it provides connectivity with all the cross-city routes there.

Advertisement