Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative first car

• 16-12-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Im sure theres been plenty of these before but Im looking to buy my first car. I will be driving up and down to Galway so I want something half decent, with a bit of poke, diesel preferably. The obvious option is a golf but I was chatting to a friend about alternatives and we came up a little short. 1.8 focus, seat leon, 306 but nothing I would choose before a golf. Are there any alternatives I haven't thought of or am I selling any of the above short.
    Im 19 with a full license and a years exp as named driver (if that makes much difference), so we'll leave the Leon fr gttdis out for now

*€2000ish budget btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭GE90

2000 would just about cover your insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

GE90 wrote: »
    2000 would just about cover your insurance.

I'd say the 2000 is just the car, not insurance.

If that's the case and your intent on 1.8/1.9 diesel then prepared to pay considerably more on insurance then you pay for the car (If you can get insured at all). If i was in your position I would go for a corolla with the 1.4 vvti its got 98 bhp which is a lot more then other 1.4 cars (focus, golf ect.) the insurance will still be 1750 - 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Pea 9

Im well aware of how much ill be set back on insurance. 1200 this year on a 1.4. The Toyota sounds good but there a bit fresh for 2 to 2.5k I presume

is 1200 on your own or a named driver ? What do you mean by fresh ?

• Advertisement

Named driver. Fresh as in new

My mistake. I was thinking of the 1.4 diesels. Im trying to avoid petrol as id be putting in a fair few miles

Its worth spending the extra 500 or so to go on your own. I was thinking something along the line of this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4289298 that particular one is over prised imo you should get similar for around 2250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Pea 9 wrote: »
    My mistake. I was thinking of the 1.4 diesels. Im trying to avoid petrol as id be putting in a fair few miles

How many miles do you drive each day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cfc1888

Named driver. Fresh as in new
    2000 on a golf will be a **** golf with huge mileage.I'd advise against unless you get a good un but they're rare at that price.If you get a good 1.9 Tdi your sorted.Superb cars.

• Advertisement

DylanII wrote: »

How many miles do you drive each day?

Not so much big mileage everyday but going from Galway to Donegal twice a week

You won't get a 1.4 diesel with your budget, unless its done crazy mileage. Plus their as slow as a wet week.

Its worth spending the extra 500 or so to go on your own. I was thinking something along the line of this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4289298 that particular one is over prised imo you should get similar for around 2250.
    Mpg worries me more than anything with these

Expect around 40mpg.

You won't get a 1.4 diesel with your budget, unless its done crazy mileage. Plus their as slow as a wet week.
    I didnt think so. Using my mothers 1.4 diesel xsara at the minute and its soul crushingly slow

Expect around 40mpg.
    I suppose id have to drive fairly conservatively to get that?

I suppose id have to drive fairly conservatively to get that?

Not particularly, you will get that with average driving.

cfc1888 wrote: »
    2000 on a golf will be a **** golf with huge mileage.I'd advise against unless you get a good un but they're rare at that price.If you get a good 1.9 Tdi your sorted.Superb cars.

Too right. Ive 3 mates with golfs all over 150k miles and not a bother on them. Looking at donedeal 2k wont get me much hence the question of alternatives

Not particularly, you will get that with average driving.

sounds too good to be true. You selling one ;)

Ha ha I wish. I could be in the market for one in the near future do :) In all honesty unless your driving like a complete numpty 40 mpg is easily achievable. The only issue you will have is it wont be as efficient as a diesel on a motorway. Once you go over ~ 100 km/h your economy will suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How about a Ford Focus diesel? Alot nicer to drive than a Golf and cheaper to buy.

View2-15836647.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4222763

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cfc1888

bazz26 wrote: »
    How about a Ford Focus diesel? Alot nicer to drive than a Golf and cheaper to buy.

View2-15836647.jpeg
    A lot nicer to drive than what golf ? So much wrong with that post.Another golf hater in motors. How rare !

A lot nicer to drive than what golf ? So much wrong with that post.Another golf hater in motors. How rare !

In fairness the focus is a cracking car to drive (as long as its not the dreaded 1.4). I honestly didn't think that you could get a 1.8 diesel for under 3000. Id reckon you would still get insured for under 2000 but don't forget tax will be 636 a year. If your driving Donegal to Galway twice a week the savings could add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

bazz26 wrote: »

View2-15836647.jpeg

Thats a nice motor for the money, just serviced, nctd and timing belted.
    Plus that model focus is a hoot to drive (although ive never driven a diesel one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair, the mk1 focus is a nicer drive than a mk4 golf.

It's not in a different league or anything, but it does handle better,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

LMFAO. Back in your pram lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As a 19 year old, you might be better off looking towards the 'super mini' segment of the motors to get a decent car for €2K, unless you have a practical reason, other then street cred, for wanting a mid size car. Nothing wrong with a Polo, Fabia or a Fiesta IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I'm 22 myself and was in the market for a car in september as my last one was stolen and burned out by scum..

Like yourself was mad after a Golf but a half decent one was out of my league at the time..

I bought an 03 Corolla for €2300... 1.4 VVTI, they are some yoke to go to be fair..

Well impressed with it, really comfy... Bought it off a local dentist, car was immaculate.. Well impressed with it..

Similar to the one here, only in a nice dark blue that looks **** hot when polished..

Drive from North Kerry to Cork and back again weekly, so there is fair mileage being put on it and i find it very economical anyhow.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4073852

Advertisement