Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Something a little different £4000-5000

Options
  • 26-08-2015 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I would really like to change my car but I want something a bit different.

looking for a small exec saloon type car but not something mundane - i would drive a BM but don't think I could get a nice one in budget, I have a hankering for a Saab 93 but i would appreciate some suggestions. Here's my requirements:

2006+
    petrol or diesel max 2L pref a bit less
    leather (a MUST)
    alloys (i suppose could be added later but steelies generally indicates ****e spec)
    back windows tinted (again can be added later)
    bluetooth (factory or else a very nice head unit, no parrot-type kits)
    aux in or a2dp streaming
    cruise control
    nice radio - would love a double din nav unit type thing
    xenons/hids - need to have nice white lights (could live with 5000k blue halogen bulbs i guess)
    dark color - would prefer gunmetal grey/dark grey/black - no silver!

I think A4s don't seem premium enough or else I've only been n ****e ones, don't like passats, like 3 series but dont think within reach, like saab 93 (especially when chromed up), like is2200butbig engine, havent considered anything asian but wouldn't be averse

I am living in NI and can spend roughly 4-5k stg, no issue with buying down south and re reg as pound is strong and I may even get the rebate

would consider a hatch as long as it was a niceplace to be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Anyone?

Jut looking for things I mightn't have thought of in the c class, 3 series, a4, is200/is220, 9-3 etc segment. The less obvious choices that still say 'premium'.

Nobody? Bueller?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Volvo S60 2.0T

Old skool dash is the big draw back and may struggle to find Xenon's and Bluetooth. Alloys & leather should be on most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon the Bluetooth streaming and even Bluetooth would nearly need to be aftermarket at that age.
    You could do satnav, Bluetooth, USB and music streaming by getting an aftermarket unit,

This makes the choice much bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

I can be flexible on the aux/bluetooth/nav I suppose, if I get a decent deal in the car what's a couple of hundred towards a nice aftermarket head unit...

The old school dash in the Volvo would kill me I think, my dad has an 07 S80 with the waterfall dash so I'd be constantly wishing for that. Also I've been in a 12 s40 recently and it just seemed a poor imitation of the s80, I understand halo marketing but I think Volvos might just not be a goer.

As for the 5 series, I think it'd be a touch too big - I'm coming from a 9n polo followed by a corsa d so I'm hoping to limit it to the "compact exec" segment. Also think I'd need to go down the years to get a specced up one for my budget.

I did pass an Alfa 159 today the looked nice, can a reliable one be had cheap though?

Also liking Honda accords- but big and not quite as premium but a well polished dark one with some shiny bits can look well.

I'm terribly picky as you can see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's 2 different dashes in the old s60, the one with full climate is a lot nicer. Spaceball gearknob makes it more modern too.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Very limited with your budget and your request. I cant think of much now, but would you consider a Ford Mondeo? You should be able to get a decent titanium model in NI for your budget.

2007+ I would recommend
    Full leather is available, although the most popular seems to be the half leather/suede type (Titanium model).
    Alloys are on most of them.
    Some have windows tinted but not all. Not a big job to do afterwards.
    Bluetooth is standard AFAIK.
    AUX Port is available in all models AFAIK.
    Cruise Control is standard.
    Titanium model has a very nice radio set up.
    Not sure what lights are in them but bulbs can be changed easily.
    Dark colour is widely available.

Here's a LINK to one I just came across online for sale, but is in the UK (just using as an example). Not sure if you would like it but its one that I would probably consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Suburu Legacy 2.0ren if you can find one, should have everything you want although dash a bit dated. Should just about get one in your budget.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

http://www.autotrader.ie/browse-used-cars/renault/avantime/used-2003-renault-avantime-coupe-armagh-fpa-202014387340186890

Or that car very cool car also very rare. Ok maybe the engine is a bit big lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Maybe a little older than you want but no harm in looking. It seems to be in good condition and is only a 2L

http://www.autotrader.ie/browse-used-cars/renault/vel-satis/used-2005-renault-vel-satis-privi-dublin-fpa-201714390466870040

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement