Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Speed With Homeplugs - Any Ideas?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

kleefarr wrote: »
    You mean use only one of the sockets for power/homeplug leaving the other unused?

Yes, this is exactly what I meant, using the second socket is the same as plugging alongside others in an extension

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Yes, this is exactly what I meant, using the second socket is the same as plugging alongside others in an extension

This might pose a problem. Need to use both sockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You'll probably fine using both in the socket, mine suffer no ill affects.

Would have liked wifi capabilities with those just so I have the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thira

Have a look at the new AV1200 Homeplugs that use AV2 MIMO technology.
    These use all 3 wires (Live,Neutral,Earth) to carry the signal, so avoid a lot of the issues caused by passing through RCD's etc...

I'm using them to connect to an outbuilding 30 metres from the house.
    Going through RCBO protected socket -> main fuse board -> ESB meter box - > Out building fuse board.
    Am getting consistent 100-120 mbps connection.

Within the house, getting 300-400 mbps (sockets on seperate circuits)

• Advertisement

Thanks exactly what I have gone for..

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA8030P-KIT.html

Will hopefully be here this time next week.

Ok, plugs arrived this morning.
    Speedtest on TV Box prior to using plugs 59.94 mb/s
    Speedtest after installing plugs 1.98 mb/s

Settings show there is clearly an error in the passwords/network or something.

When it means Network ID is this the SSID of my current home network of one that is used just for the plugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I have mine set to the same SSID and my router, apart from the one on the 5Ghz band, I just stuck a 5 at the end of that so I can distinguish them.

Are you still having issues ? It might be worth putting them on the same multi socket extension and see how they communicate with each other over that. May help rule out if it's a settings issue or wiring one.

The issue seems to be with settings. I will have to try again when the boys are back at school as they are on the xbox during this rainy weather.

I tried them both in an extension not connected to router. Plugged each in separately to my laptop via ethernet cable. The were connected, first two light on both were lit. When I checked the powerline utility and changed the network name on the 'status' page to my own network ID, both had network name but only one had password and the other was blank.Don't seem to be able to make the password the same

Advertisement