Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving speeds to my main PC

Options
  • 09-07-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have UPC max broadband package. The connection comes into my downstairs living room, where I have a HTPC and NAS. The speed is incredible, rarely dipping below 230mbps down and 20mbps up.

I run a connection from the router into powerplug adapters, that then go upstairs to my main PC.

Here I get a very stable connection. However its only 50-55mbps down and the upload is still high.
    4492025660.png

I'm looking to try get a higher download speed to my main PC

I'm currently using these powerplugs.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FVOKM8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I don't use wireless, and to be honest don't ever trust it for my main gaming PC. Granted I havn't used it in years, it was never a reliable connection for gaming etc.

I do have an option of maybe running a cable outside the house and abck in. The router is in the room directly below me, so I could run a cable outside(through already existing holes) and then come up and back in through the wall. This allow cables to be hidden.

Would I lose any speed or have issues running a cable about 10-15m of length from the router?

Any advice would be appreciated, would love to hit higher speeds on my main pc.

Granted its perfectly fine as is, low ping etc., I just want to harness more:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭65535

If it was me...
    I would install an RJ45 socket downstairs near the UPC box.
    And another upstairs near the PC.
    Join the 2 sockets via CAT5 or better cable outside.
    You could use external CAT5 cable but would get away with the cheaper internal one for a while.
    Get 2 patch leads and plug the downstairs socket into the router and the upstairs socket into the pc and away you go.

Get a cheap cat5 tester to test end to end (patch lead to patch lead) before finishing to ensure all pairs connected properly.
    Leave a rain loop on the outside downstairs on the cable to prevent rain water entering the downstairs cable hole.

When I say 'CAT 5' get the best cable that you can afford - possibly external CAT6 if available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

id love to be getting 52mb/s down
    i have efibre (its ...meh) but on a good day im only getting around low 20s
    id love to be reaching the 50s, yet along over 200mb/s

id love to be getting 52mb/s down
    i have efibre (its ...meh) but on a good day im only getting around low 20s
    id love to be reaching the 50s, yet along over 200mb/s

Ha - yeah - same here.
    Meh is the best description alright...

TheDoc wrote: »

Also just wondering why you don't get a better throughput on those power plugs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

65535 wrote: »
    Also just wondering why you don't get a better throughput on those power plugs ?

A fridge. The imersion. Electric shower. Hoover.....need I go on?

Homeplugs are susceptible to noise from any of the ring mains in the house, theyre a hack not a perfect technology. In some homes you'll only get 2-3Mbps.

@Doc: if the homeplugs are in gang/extension leads get rid of them, they work best directly into wall sockets. If performance is still the same then you'd do better with a high end wireless card and access point but it'd be pricey(€150 all in at a guess).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm using the powerplugs directly in socket.

Forgot to mention that upstairs the cable from powerplug goes through a switch, to also feed my PS4 (rarely turned on)

Was actually thinking of removing the switch to see if it bumps speed.

This is the switch
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000N99BBC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Powerplug adapters act as a hub....

I would avoid using..

NoDrama wrote: »
    Powerplug adapters act as a hub....

I would avoid using..

Avoid using the plugs or the switch?

I've been using power plugs in a few apartments with no real issues, and there is no problems with my current ones, bar I want to try jack the dl up to 200+, as opposed to the 50 odd.

I watch a lot of twitch.tv on a monitor, and I have found that the quality has degraded, and have a sneaky feeling its to do with the connection speed upstairs. Streams in general seem to not be as crisp as they should

ED E wrote: »
    If performance is still the same then you'd do better with a high end wireless card and access point but it'd be pricey(€150 all in at a guess).

I've always being nervy of wireless, with some bad experiences both professionally and domestically. Also won't be spending that sort of money on a wireless setup, for less I could cable the main PC directly to downstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What sort of homeplugs do you use? Have found the passthrough homeplugs to be good.
    I do have an option of maybe running a cable outside the house and abck in. The router is in the room directly below me, so I could run a cable outside(through already existing holes) and then come up and back in through the wall. This allow cables to be hidden.

Would I lose any speed or have issues running a cable about 10-15m of length from the router?
    Ah here, if you have the option to do cable, do cable. Just ensure it's decent quality cable, and that the routers aren't limiting ye. I think the cat5 cables are good for 85 meters before there's an degradation (could be wrong, though).

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    What sort of homeplugs do you use? Have found the passthrough homeplugs to be good.

Ah here, if you have the option to do cable, do cable. Just ensure it's decent quality cable, and that the routers aren't limiting ye. I think the cat5 cables are good for 85 meters before there's an degradation (could be wrong, though).

This is the homeplugs
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FVOKM8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Well I could like I said run cable outside and then back in, just wasn't sure if I'd lose some speed in regard distance, and if a regular run of the mill cable is fine for the outdoors.

Probably will end up cabling to be honest, as much as literally everything works and runs fine, I am just greedy and want more

Do run the cable, it is always better, get at least CAT5E....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I think the cat5 cables are good for 85 meters before there's an degradation (could be wrong, though).

Not far off 100m before needing a repeater.

Homeplugs are rubbish, I got them before tried them and hated them.

Three options, keep the wireless, get some cat6e installed or get the ISP pointed moved and install the modem closer to the ISP point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

In fairness, even the 500mbps plugs, mist are fitted with 100mb connections, and hence are limited to that as a max despite their theoretical ratings they advertise.

The price of the ones with proper gigabit connectors is just two high to be worth it your still going to be limited by the wiring, interference etc

TallGlass wrote: »
    Not far off 100m before needing a repeater.

Homeplugs are rubbish, I got them before tried them and hated them.

Three options, keep the wireless, get some cat6e installed or get the ISP pointed moved and install the modem closer to the ISP point.

Well my homeplugs arn't rubbish.

I can't stress enough that I'm getting a solid 50-60mbps via homeplugs, stupidly low pings, and maintaining an upload rate of 20+mbps.

I'm just greedy, and want to get more to my main PC :D

Thought about having UPC relocate the entry point, its only €20 to do. But I have a NAS and HTPC downstairs hooked to the TV, so kinda want to keep the setup as is, since they really require the bulk of the bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well my homeplugs arn't rubbish.
    Their make and model, and what your infrastructure is like matters. With houses it mainly depends on their age, but apartments can vary.
    I'm just greedy, and want to get more to my main PC :D
    Nought wrong with that. Drop the cable out back but I'd advise you get a surge protector at each end of the cable which goes outside to be on the safe side, unless someone here can verify that it would be overboard? IE; would the ethernet cable attract lightening or static?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Drop the cable out back but I'd advise you get a surge protector at each end of the cable which goes outside to be on the safe side, unless someone here can verify that it would be overboard? IE; would the ethernet cable attract lightening or static?

Its safe enough, phone lines take hits all the time, just blows the terminating equipment to bits. So put a switch in between it and your PC. Chances of it being the point to take a strike should be low as it'd be lower than the roof and not pointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Get outdoor cables. UV light will start to break down the plastic insulation in normal cable after a while, leading to moisture creep within it.

When running it down the house, make sure to pin it to the wall. Where is going into the wall at the bottom, straight out of the hole point it down first and then loop it upwards after about 3 inches. Seal the holes with outdoor Silicon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Get outdoor cables. UV light will start to break down the plastic insulation in normal cable after a while, leading to moisture creep within it.

When running it down the house, make sure to pin it to the wall. Where is going into the wall at the bottom, straight out of the hole point it down first and then loop it upwards after about 3 inches. Seal the holes with outdoor Silicon.

This is really important - it's known as a Drip Loop:
    img4F.jpg

Advertisement