Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get RJ45s and cable tester in Dublin today?

Options
  • 25-07-2015 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

So Meteor Electrical sent me some RJ45s only they are not those, they are unnoticeably slightly bigger, and they will not fit into a port. Some of you may have seen me post before about Cat6 cable I had installed throughout the house, the issue now is that the electrician did not label every cable. I was able to identify one of them, twisting blue and white blue together, and then checking for resistance on all blue and white blue on every cable at comms until I found it. I would rather not have to identify every cable like that - there are about 30 and most unterminated. I have seen electricians use cable testers/wire testers before, basically they clip one part of it onto a cable they want to identify, then at the opposite end where there are many cable they touch the second part of the tester off each cable in turn until it makes a noise, identifying the cable.

Maplins have told me they sell these but they are out of stock. Is there anywhere in Dublin I could pick up RJ45s and a cable/wire tester, and what is the proper name for the device I am talking about?

Also, I have a crimp tool here but it does not have an RJ45 slot, is it already to use a flat head screw driver, perhaps with a hammer, to push the piece of plastic in the RJ45 down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Maplins Blanchardstown are out of stock but Jervis have the following in stock:

Cable Finder with Tone Generator

RJ11 and RJ45 Crimping Tool and Cable Stripper Set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Rj45s won't fit in some Ethernet sockets until the pins have been pressed down with a crimp tool. There is no such thing as a slightly bigger rj45 :D

Rj45s won't fit in some Ethernet sockets until the pins have been pressed down with a crimp tool. There is no such thing as a slightly bigger rj45 :D

I was Googling last night trying to figure out what they were but there seemed not to be anything slightly bigger :)

Picking up my crimp tool (this time with RJ45 slot) today!

I have a few data ports here, they say T568B where I was going to terminate the cables with a dot punch. Will these work okay, and if they do are they the right ones to get the most from Cat6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

dusf wrote: »
    I was Googling last night trying to figure out what they were but there seemed not to be anything slightly bigger :)

Picking up my crimp tool (this time with RJ45 slot) today!

I have a few data ports here, they say T568B where I was going to terminate the cables with a dot punch. Will these work okay, and if they do are they the right ones to get the most from Cat6?

They should be fine

Thanks, the toner and crimper did the trick, just a whole let of cables to get through now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement