Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting a cable

Options
  • 23-07-2015 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I have a brand new phone line installed at my house. It's completely unterminated as I'll be doing a cable run from this point (A) to two more points (B & C), one for the location of a phone, the other for the location of a router.

There is a roadway between the phone and router and for the time being I will need to fly the cable over the roadway between points B and C.

I think my only option is run a 200m cable from A to B, terminate it and place both the phone and modem at point A and then extend the network to point C somehow with Cat 5 cable and switches etc.

Is there a better way around this? Could I duplicate the signal at point A and run a cable from A -> B and A -> C rather than A -> B -> C?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm assuming point A(entry point) is Efibre from Eircom. You would want the router therem, keeping it at the closest distance from the exchange.

Fibre or wireless considering the distance from point A. Cat 5 won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Yes point A is the entry point for eircom fibre.

How would you go about seting it up for fibre? I've not worked with it before so not sure of the kind of equipment needed? Would you place the router at ponit A, connect to a fibre switch and then run two lines from here to points B and C? How would the phone get to point B?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Yes point A is the entry point for eircom fibre.

How would you go about seting it up for fibre? I've not worked with it before so not sure of the kind of equipment needed? Would you place the router at ponit A, connect to a fibre switch and then run two lines from here to points B and C? How would the phone get to point B?

Get a data only connection and port the number to Voip

Advertisement