Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booklet on what to do in case of nuclear war

Options
  • 11-09-2014 10:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Years ago when I was doing a bit of tidying for my Grandmother I came across this old leaflet which gave advice on what to do in case of nuclear attack.It was illustrated with pictures showing what you should do when you hear the warning signal etc.Also about the effects of radiation and advising to cover your mouth and nose and it had a strong agricultural leaning all about disposing of dead animals and there was something relating to hay.There was a bandage included as well for first aid attached to the inside.I'm guessing that it was distributed to households at the time of the Cuban Missle Crisis when the threat of nuclear war seemed very real.Did anyone else come across them or have a picture?When my Nan (RIP) died 13 years ago a lot of stuff was thrown out.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

It followed a vaguely similar formula to the first one.I do remember now there was a really rubbish drawing of a mushroom cloud on the cover.I seem to remember as well something about Radio Eireann and a picture of an old style radio,advising people to keep their radios switched on for updates.Which when you think of it diden't make a lot of sense as if they did nuke us surely the main target would be Dublin so Montrose would be dust.

Edit:I see that UK one was issued in 1980.The one in my Nans house looked a good bit older than that.Late 50s early 60s at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

darkdubh wrote: »
    Years ago when I was doing a bit of tidying for my Grandmother I came across this old leaflet which gave advice on what to do in case of nuclear attack.It was illustrated with pictures showing what you should do when you hear the warning signal etc.Also about the effects of radiation and advising to cover your mouth and nose and it had a strong agricultural leaning all about disposing of dead animals and there was something relating to hay.There was a bandage included as well for first aid attached to the inside.I'm guessing that it was distributed to households at the time of the Cuban Missle Crisis when the threat of nuclear war seemed very real.Did anyone else come across them or have a picture?When my Nan (RIP) died 13 years ago a lot of stuff was thrown out.
    I know exactly the book you are talking about it was a small colour animated book. Here it is :) My neighbour who was also a relative had one in his house.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

darkdubh wrote: »
    I seem to remember as well something about Radio Eireann and a picture of an old style radio,advising people to keep their radios switched on for updates.Which when you think of it diden't make a lot of sense as if they did nuke us surely the main target would be Dublin so Montrose would be dust.
    RTE's big Medium Wave transmitter was in Athlone , and the old valve radios weren't as susceptible to EMP as more modern kit

http://homepage.eircom.net/~totalbroadcast/athlone2.html

http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/681-history-of-rte/708-rte-2000s/289803-last-mw-transmitter-closes/
    RTÉ Radio closes down its last Medium Wave transmitter at Tullamore, County Offaly after providing the radio signal for programmes for the last eighty two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Info in that booklet is probably about as useful as the Government issued Iodine Tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Info in that booklet is probably about as useful as the Government issued Iodine Tablets.

Those iodine tablets would probably count as 'All Things Retro' too at this stage!

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I know exactly the book you are talking about it was a small colour animated book. Here it is :) My neighbour who was also a relative had one in his house.

Thats it allright,nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

They were on about this booklet on Scannal on Monday. It was the interview with Joe Jacob and Marian Finnucane that took place after 9/11 on how Ireland was prepared for a nuclear attack. Joe Jacob hadn't a clue how to protect Ireland in the event of a nuclear attack. Its one of the funniest radio interviews i've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Sam Kade wrote: »

We have one of those in my parents house too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

One of the classic pieces of advice contained in the booklet was - 'if you're caught out in the open by a nuclear explosion, turn your back to the blast' ...Lol

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    One of the classic pieces of advice contained in the booklet was - 'if you're caught out in the open by a nuclear explosion, turn your back to the blast' ...Lol

better dead, than dead and blind....

...no need for corrections

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

"If you are at work, you may be advised to go home."

Jaysus, I'd hope so. The rest of the filing can wait until after nuclear armageddon.

This is a gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Still have the iodine tabs they gave out over a decade ago.
    Guess they're out of date by now.

Still have the iodine tabs they gave out over a decade ago.
    Guess they're out of date by now.

One way to find out.

One way to find out.
    EXP :MAR/05

EXP :MAR/05

good another 91 years or bad 9 years. You decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Turn your arse to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

The uk leaflet from 1980 cracks me up esp this:
    "After the attack"---
    This is what you should do.
    Do not smoke.

heh, as if etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I found it in the back of a press when I was a kid; scared the sh1te out of me:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

elaney wrote: »
    They were on about this booklet on Scannal on Monday. It was the interview with Joe Jacob and Marian Finnucane that took place after 9/11 on how Ireland was prepared for a nuclear attack. Joe Jacob hadn't a clue how to protect Ireland in the event of a nuclear attack. Its one of the funniest radio interviews i've ever heard.

I think that interview is a modern classic- it was like something from a quaint bygone era but it was the 21st century:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

telecinesk wrote: »
    The uk leaflet from 1980 cracks me up esp this:
    "After the attack"---
    This is what you should do.
    Do not smoke.

heh, as if etc

I think "smoulder" might be the word they're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

At the same time, schools carried out drills in case of a nuclear explosion. We had to hide under the school desks!

I am not too sure, but the booklet might have been issued during the Cuban missile crisis. However, I remember a general feeling in late 50's and early sixties that war could break out anytime. Russians were definitely seen as a threat while in Ireland we were in thrall to USA.

It is worth remembering that our parents lived through WW2 and so idea of Armageddon was seen as very real possibility.

Advertisement