Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old school tech you thought had died out ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

My car doesn't have a CD player, so I'm still playing cassettes everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Had to, yes I have boxes of them.. Still work .)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

Probably doesn't count but I was very surprised working in an office when a company would only receive (one / two page) documents by fax, not by e-mail!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jenda wrote: »
    Probably doesn't count but I was very surprised working in an office when a company would only receive (one / two page) documents by fax, not by e-mail!

You were told when you brought it up at that staff meeting.

We bought the feckin' thing. We're using the feckin' thing!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭door

MYOB wrote: »
    And he's insane, and possibly partially blind and deaf too.

VHS has 240 lines of resolution, meaning it has less than half the quality of broadcast analogue TV. Low bandwidth analogue stereo audio - usually mono if recorded off TV compared to digital stereo on broadcast here.

There wasn't a circumstance, ever, where VHS was better than DVD in terms of audio or video quality.

VHS never skipped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

door wrote: »
    VHS never skipped

And trailers/copyright bollocks wasn't mandatory...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

VHS never skipped

Only damaged DVDs skip, damaged VHSs don't play.
    endacl wrote: »
    And trailers/copyright bollocks wasn't mandatory...

Player issue rather than video quality issue. Higher end kit usually ignores the UOP flag; if you're pretending that VHS can be made watchable (or better, as our loon here...) with high end players etc you can get a non-29.99 DVD player.

Ridiculous that it was ever part of the format to begin with, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jenda wrote: »
    I have heard this is possibly some legal thing. Or following old procedures to the letter.
    VHS never skipped
    it just got mangled or had tracking issues, or magnetic damage, or was worn out (especially where breasts appeared for some odd reason;))

I remember all of them then had autotracking, which often did not work, so you were totally helpless in fixing it. I had a JVC ancient yoke with manual tracking that let you watch even the most messed up tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

I saw a Walkman CD player the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭door

MYOB wrote: »
    Only damaged DVDs skip, damaged VHSs don't play.

Not the case for me. I never had a VHS that didn't play. If the video heads of a VCR were dirty, you might get a lot of fuzz and snow but it was like they were in for the fight of their lives to show you some images and sound. Poorly kept VCRs damaged VHS while DVDs can sometimes come damaged to begin with. I have come across a few dozen DVDs over the last 14 years that were straight out of the box, perfectly clean, new and not scratched that would skip, making it impossible to watch any further and usually just refusing to play any more. VHS might have had tracking issues (usually due to the VCR) but you could often still see the picture clear enough behind any fuzz to know what was going on until it sorted itself out. DVDs are amazing in quality but I still found VHS far more reliable and easier to fix. There's nothing you can do to fix a skipping DVD that has no grime on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

My turtles 2 VHS used to keep unwinding in the player :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

VHS is reliable as an archive medium.

I have tapes with off-air recordings as far back as 1981. They all play perfectly.

In 2006 I started using a DVD recorder with hard drive. I would then transfer programmes from the hard drive to DVD-R. A number of them won't play anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Antenna

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    A number of them won't play anymore.

have you tried them on different players ?
    DVDs which have somehow deteriorated might still play on some players but not others
    Does it seem to be related to brand of disc used?

I have seen a DVD, nearly 10 years old, which would only play intermittently on one player and not at all on others! but when it did play the whole thing played OK! - I made a copy (albeit via SCART)

Yes VHS and audio tape stored in good conditions (dry air etc) play OK after 3 + decades . You'd wonder how long-term reliable archiving stuff on DVD and CD-R etc is ! , a lot of differing opinion about this on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Antenna wrote: »
    have you tried them on different players ?
    DVDs which have somehow deteriorated might still play on some players but not others
    Does it seem to be related to brand of disc used?

I have seen a DVD, nearly 10 years old, which would only play intermittently on one player and not at all on others! but when it did play the whole thing played OK! - I made a copy (albeit via SCART)

Yes VHS and audio tape stored in good conditions (dry air etc) play OK after 3 + decades . You'd wonder how long-term reliable archiving stuff on DVD and CD-R etc is ! , a lot of differing opinion about this on the net.

Think it might be disc related. Sony and Verbatim seem to be most reliable but I didn't always use those.

I think the dub mode/speed might also be a factor. I always burn discs at the lowest possible setting.

Advertisement