Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tank Model Im working on

Options
  • 12-02-2005 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Main Body --------------- 2196
    Right Track -------------  314
    Right Las Sponson -------  256
    Right Las ---------------  544
    Left Track  -------------  314
    Left Las Sponson --------  256
    Left Las ----------------  544
    Heavy Bolter ------------  214
    Turret Mounted Bolter ---  335

Total ------------------- 4973

wiplandraider0051fg.th.jpgwiplandraider0065qu.th.jpg

Video

wiplandraider0075if.th.jpgwiplandraider0082ms.th.jpgwiplandraider0096fx.th.jpgwiplandraider0104ug.th.jpg

Im doing a Warhammer 40k tank for a half life 2 mod and was looking for some feedback, I think it might have to many polys, what do ya think?

Feel free to destroy me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

the image links aren't working but from the video, well.. ive no idea how the tank is supposed to look but it looks promising, i take it those colors are preliminary and you have to texture it yet? 5000 polys though, im not sure what the source engine can handle in terms of polys per model, its been well over a year since ive done any game editing, but it doesn't look too intensive im sure the engine can handle it

but yeah anyway keep us updated on this, does the mod have a webby yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

ive no idea how the tank is supposed to look but it looks promising

Picture here
    i take it those colors are preliminary and you have to texture it yet

Thats right
    does the mod have a webby yet?

Sure does www.bg40k.com/

As for the 5 k poly thing I am trying to hack it down as I type, hoping for 4.5 k. Apparently the source engine can handle it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Nice model , afaik source can handle a lot of polys but reqs various models for lower end cards.

Some people having issues having to strip their models to work in each of the mods.

All in the source manua ircl.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Nice model , afaik source can handle a lot of polys but reqs various models for lower end cards.

Some people having issues having to strip their models to work in each of the mods.

All in the source manua ircl.

kdjac

Yeah I am trying to figure out how that works. Guess I'll have a look at that manual. Got a linkey per chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/

might that be what your looking for?

• Advertisement

http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/

might that be what your looking for?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Looks good, although I think you may have used to many polys in some areas and not enough in others. Each of the laser cannons is 544, which for a relatively small part of the vehicle, is too much. The body of the vehicle and the tracks look kinda flat and it makes it seem like the vehicle isn't very detailed.

The skin will probably fix this though and if it does it will be a great model, GJ :).

Anima wrote:
    Looks good, although I think you may have used to many polys in some areas and not enough in others. Each of the laser cannons is 544, which for a relatively small part of the vehicle, is too much.

Thats true although the las poly count is down from well over 1500 each so I would kill myself if I had to do them again.

I will post again when it's skinned.

/edit--> managed to skim 200 polys off before I started

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Looks nice, gl with the skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Looks good -I can't speak for HL2, but for bf1942 that would be an acceptable poly count for a tank (with suitable collision meshes), so Im guessing source should be well capable of that kinda of polycount.
    however, if you used bump-mapping on the sides, you could lose the side panels.

does hl2 use collision meshes that you manually create?

• Advertisement

does hl2 use collision meshes that you manually create?

sure does but that will be pretty low,
    Im half way through the skin but havent started the normal (bump) map yet, I will post up when its finished skinned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

cool - look forward to seeing it - it's not everyday a fellow irish vehicle modeller comes along ;)

Advertisement