Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee 1870

Options
  • 17-03-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

I tried this over in the Tralee thread without much luck so I thought someone here might be able to help. I'm researching my Tralee roots and I have been given a link to the Tralee Chronicle and Killarney Echo"- 25 January 1870. It contains what appears to be a pledge of support from the townspeople of Tralee for William Denny. At least 3 members of my family added their names to the list. Could some kind person explain to me what was going on in the town at the time and why the people of Tralee were supporting Wm Denny.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Usually these lists were a public declaration of support centred on an election. With a January date I’d guess this one probably relates to the election of the High Sheriff for the county - in that process usually three candidates were nominated and one chosen. In 1870 the H.S. was Edward Joseph Morrogh-Bernard. Hopefully someone with access to a news archive will clarify this. It also appears in the Irish Times of 30 Jan 1870

The Denny’s were an Elizabethan planter family that had about 6,000 acres in and around Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks a million Pedro, that would make sense alright. From the names listed it looks like they all had business interests in the town. Would they have pledged support willingly or might there have been a bit of 'persuading' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Without looking at the advert we are into the realms of speculation, which I don’t like because it is dangerous, but in general c 1870 such a signature would be voluntary but possibly would have a touch of sycophancy about it - the hope of obtaining more custom for the shop, preferment, etc.. In February of that year Gladstone’s Land Act was brought in which led to considerable unrest, so it would be best to get your hands on the original before you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Pedro, fascinating subject all the same. I would imagine for many business owners it was probably a case of knowing which side your bread was buttered on !

Advertisement