Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Data charges for Oireachtas TV and Dail Broadcasts

• 30-09-2013 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

I've begun to watch Dail TV and Oireachtas TV over the last couple of years and I find it an invaluable resource.

However, I often find myself unable to access it 'on the go' due to charges applied for data transmission.

I would like the government or who ever deals with these matters to arrange legislation that data transmissions from the sites are free.
    I would like to force data providers of all types to allows customers to look at the dail/Oireachtas broadcasts for Free.

It seems right that no data charges should apply for any citizen that wants to view their government's debates.

Would this be possible?
    I've became interested in politics and the workings of our policies over the last year or so, so i am unsure how to proceed with this.

Do I mail, phone, and meet the local TDs from my area?
    Can I send a mail to every single TD and try get one of them to propose it?
    Is this even something that I should bother a TD about? or am i looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for any advice.

Mods feel free to move this if it's in the wrong location :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

manonboard wrote: »
    I've begun to watch Dail TV and Oireachtas TV over the last couple of years and I find it an invaluable resource.

However, I often find myself unable to access it 'on the go' due to charges applied for data transmission.

I would like the government or who ever deals with these matters to arrange legislation that data transmissions from the sites are free.
    I would like to force data providers of all types to allows customers to look at the dail/Oireachtas broadcasts for Free.

It seems right that no data charges should apply for any citizen that wants to view their government's debates.

Would this be possible?
    I've became interested in politics and the workings of our policies over the last year or so, so i am unsure how to proceed with this.

Do I mail, phone, and meet the local TDs from my area?
    Can I send a mail to every single TD and try get one of them to propose it?
    Is this even something that I should bother a TD about? or am i looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for any advice.

Mods feel free to move this if it's in the wrong location :)

Think this may be an issue for the Communications Unit in the Oireachtas. Communications unit appear to be responsible for the media and brodcasting in the oireachtas. Am sure it would not hurt to email them or your local TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You can't force a company to provide a service that costs them money for free to you. It will never happen.

All the information you are accessing is free. What you are paying for is the use of somebody else's mast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

State compelling private companies to provide a service for free. Someone's got to pay. You are unable to access it is wrong. You can just pay the data fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What you need is a broadcast service like television, not narrowcast like the internet - Oireachtas TV in other words.
    GarIT wrote: »
    You can't force a company to provide a service that costs them money for free to you. It will never happen.
    Yes you can.

999/112 calls are free (paid for by Eircom under the public service obligation, although I think Vodafone actually have the call centre contract).

Almost all calls received are free (paid for by the person making the call).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Victor wrote: »
    What you need is a broadcast service like television, not narrowcast like the internet - Oireachtas TV in other words.

but you still have to pay the RTE tax for the privilege of accessing it via the tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Yes you can.

999/112 calls are free (paid for by Eircom under the public service obligation, although I think Vodafone actually have the call centre contract).

This is not accurate. A 999/112 call in Ireland is paid for by the service provider the call originated from. Eircom only pay for the calls that originate from their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yes you can.

1. Line rental. 2. That's a life or death situation and is necessary.

Advertisement