Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Tax (MOD REMINDER: Don't get too personal)

Options

Comments

SamHall wrote: »
    FF will offer something to replace it come a general election. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

So, You WILL pay with penalties and interest. And you WILL pay whatever similar tax a new Government may be minded to bring in?

What is the point of your posts? You will pay one way or another!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

So, You WILL pay with penalties and interest. And you WILL pay whatever similar tax a new Government may be minded to bring in?

Once again.
    I'm happy enough with my stance though. I'll not pay up meekly

Let me know what part of that quote you're having trouble understanding and I'll run through it with you M.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Let me know what part of that quote you're having trouble understanding

I applaud your stance. Including penalties and interest, Revenue will collect more from you than from me. I'm all in favour of other people volunteering to pay Revenue extra.

I applaud your stance. Including penalties and interest, Revenue will collect more from you than from me. I'm all in favour of other people volunteering to pay Revenue extra.

You're part of the problem. Not the solution

.Fighting Irish my arse.

My actions aren't financially motivated btw, I've just got the urge to stand and fight against something enda himself said was unjust unfair and morally wrong.

The sooner this sham of a govt get ousted, the better.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The only people being shafted by those who dodge paying taxes are other tax payers, not the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The sooner this sham of a govt get ousted, the better.
    You'll get your chance at the next election. In the meantime you need to pay your taxes.

The only people being shafted by those who dodge paying taxes are other tax payers, not the government.

Which makes it all the more sickening when govt councillors, senators and ministers don't pay theirs.

Which makes it all the more sickening when govt councillors, senators and ministers don't pay theirs.
    Who says they wont? They can't stand for election without a tax clearance cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

There are plenty of ways to evade paying taxes and get a TCC and there's a share of politicians know all about it. Unfortunately the Revenue are going to be too busy chasing us for a E2 per week tax to catch any of them any more:(

Lol. Do you think the property tax is the tax I'm referring to:confused:

Hint: (that's not even due until July) you're truly a naive one M.A.

• Advertisement

Lol. Do you think the property tax is the tax I'm referring to:confused:

Hint: (that's not even due until July) you're truly a naive one M.A.

Sorry, Sam. I thought this topic was about the property tax. As I'm not a mindreader, I'm afraid I've no idea what you're on about. Maybe you could clarify? Try plain simple english, as I'm a bit thick and don't understand waffle.

Sorry, Sam. I thought this topic was about the property tax. As I'm not a mindreader, I'm afraid I've no idea what you're on about. Maybe you could clarify? Try plain simple english, as I'm a bit thick and don't understand waffle.

No need to put yourself down M.A.

Let's see how this confusion arose so.

Vladimir said:
    Taxes. Taxes come in a many different guises M.A.

I replied to that post with:
    I'm sure with all the recent publicity surrounding various councillors, Senators and TD's with 'issues' they may be having with tax/fare avoidance etc, you are aware of what I was referring to?

If not, please come back and let me know and I'll gladly post quotes and provide links from various news sources outlining the ministers, senators and councillors I'm referring to, and what taxes they had been 'evading'.

All cleared up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cageyeuclid

"Over 250,000 have paid up already, so I don't see mass resistance"

Aren't 125.000 of these Public Housing like Dublin City Council housing??

In the case of The Household Charge paid, Dublin City Council was included in the compliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Over 250,000 have paid up already, so I don't see mass resistance.

And the source of this statement is?

Careful Sam, Joan is throwing her toys out of the pram and making bold rash unfounded statements above.

All this nonsense about this LPT....I saw on Euronews the other day where Portugal is DROPPING their LPT to try and stimulate their economy. And before anyone asks me for proof, I can't find it...only hope someone else saw that report.

Phoebas wrote: »
    You'll get your chance at the next election. In the meantime you need to pay your taxes.

Says who, Phoebas? DVpower or Mick noonan, or BFP?

Sadly, there are too many people in this country who have 2 missions in life...to lie, and decieve. Alas, sometimes they are on a double mission, and I believe people coming on here mouthing off in support of the government are of this ilk.

The government here want the economy to grow..I think we ALL agree on that, but how the hell can it when the same government go aorund taking more and more money out of the economy? I had a stall at a fair yesterday. I drove 80kms to this fair, stood all day, and sold €2...honest! I asked other stall holders at this fair ( it was in a shopping centre 80kms or so from Newbridge) about how their day went, every single one of them echoed how bad the footfall was. This government are destroying everything economically in this country. I do accept they didn't start the ball rolling, but they ARE pushing that ball along down the very slippery slope!

Le_Dieux wrote: »

All this nonsense about this LPT....I saw on Euronews the other day where Portugal is DROPPING their LPT to try and stimulate their economy. And before anyone asks me for proof, I can't find it...only hope someone else saw that report.
    Portugal aren't dropping their property tax - the reason you can't find the evidence is because it isn't happening.

They were introducing some tax breaks on intellectual property. Maybe you misheard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭flutered

if the goverment removed below cost selling of alcahol my the muntibles, it would yeild many times the amount of the house hold charge, but then that would never do no would it.

And the source of this statement is?
    Revenue press release puts the number of returns at 332500
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/2013/pr-300413-local-property-tax.html

Portugal aren't dropping their property tax - the reason you can't find the evidence is because it isn't happening.

They were introducing some tax breaks on intellectual property. Maybe you misheard?

How do YOU know? What source do YOU have to make that statement? I KNOW what I saw and heard on Euronews.....

• Advertisement

Sadly, there are too many people in this country who have 2 missions in life...to lie, and decieve. Alas, sometimes they are on a double mission, and I believe people coming on here mouthing off in support of the government are of this ilk.
    I'm not trying to lie or deceive. I'm pretty certain that you'll get your chance to reject the current government at the next election.
    Whether or not there is going to be a viable alternative choice available that will repeal the property tax is another question. Personally I doubt it.

How do YOU know? What source do YOU have to make that statement? I KNOW what I saw and heard on Euronews.....
    I did a Google search on the topic (and a site search on Euronews) and it returned nothing.

I think if Portugal were dropping their property tax it might have been reported online by some news outlet somewhere on the planet. A more likely explanation is that you misheard. Confirmation bias maybe?

I did a Google search on the topic (and a site search on Euronews) and it returned nothing.

I think if Portugal were dropping their property tax it might have been reported online by some news outlet somewhere on the planet. A more likely explanation is that you misheard. Confirmation bias maybe?

You are entitled to Your thinking..I know what I heard.

But anyhow, I'm not going to get into a slanging match with you under any circumstances as I am only back from a ban on AH over this very topic, & I do not want to be silenced anymore over my hot-headedness ( which I do admit to:cool: ).

Revenue press release puts the number of returns at 332500
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/2013/pr-300413-local-property-tax.html[/QUOTE]

REVENUE press release. Duh, are they spinners of the truth or not? Sadly, I agree with you though, it's all we have t og on. I know one thing, I won't be believing them.

REVENUE press release. Duh, are they spinners of the truth or not? Sadly, I agree with you though, it's all we have t og on. I know one thing, I won't be believing them.
    I have to wonder why you asked for a source for the number of people who had paid the LPT so far when you wouldn't accept the Revenue themselves as a reliable source. :confused:

You are entitled to Your thinking..I know what I heard.
    Do you have any explanation as to why this news wasn't reported online by any news agency whatsoever? Is there any chance at all that you got it wrong?

Are revenue including the hundreds of thousands of local authority houses that must be paid by the council's in their figures?

A breakdown of the figures would be nice.

Right DV am going to answer Your replies above - hope I get to them all:

1)Why did I ask for source? To prove that You are using a government site to justify Your claim...though I would accept I also would use a site from the other side ( if I had one to wrong what You say:-))

2) You can be CERTAIN I'll NEVER vote Labour again ( whom I voted for in the past). As long as I can breathe I will NEVER vote FG. Who is left? Thats what bothers me...

3) Re the news on Euronews? I have no idea why. On reflection, I think I may be slightly wrong....that it was a proposal by the government of Portugal to get their economy moving again. Austerity didn't work, their words not mine....and they need to do something along another route. BUT, I do know I heard the dropping of phil's tax was proposed.

Wonder will that let him off the hook on his holiday home?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Do you have any explanation as to why this news wasn't reported online by any news agency whatsoever? Is there any chance at all that you got it wrong?

is there any chance you are wrong? maybe E N were reporting this

http://translate.google.ie/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dn.pt%2Finicio%2Fportugal%2Finterior.aspx%3Fcontent_id%3D3189093%26seccao%3DMadeira

• Advertisement

bgrizzley wrote: »

That link (well done 'though) appears to be some local technical or administrative difficulty about the setting of the local rate of property tax in one county in Maderia.

I suppose its possible that Euronews was reporting that (but doubtful) and that Le Dieux completely misunderstood it as Portugal dropping their property tax. He does sometimes display confirmation bias.

Advertisement