Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCC Courses

• 22-03-2009 3:35am

Can someone please give me information on the Public Health and Health Promotion course in UCC? Is it very sciency? Is it a girls course? What are the Careers that you can follow after it? Thanks!

And also B.I.S.
    I like Business, Accounting mainly but seems interesting enough. Not hugely into Computers though!

Oh and BioChem too??Must you absolutely live for Science?
    I really only love Anatomy and Phisiology so....
    Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭deisedude

Can someone please give me information on the Public Health and Health Promotion course in UCC? Is it very sciency? Is it a girls course? What are the Careers that you can follow after it? Thanks!

And also B.I.S.
    I like Business, Accounting mainly but seems interesting enough. Not hugely into Computers though!

Thanks!!!!

Dont go near B.I.S. with a four foot pole if you don't like computers. IF you like business and accounting i'd recommend either Commerce or Accounting as more practical courses for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Ya I agree, BIS is mostly computers with only a tiny bit of business thrown in.

Commerce is the business degree and I'd defo recommend it, it has a good degree of variety, from Government module to IS and economics, I've found it very interesting :)

Can't tell ya about the Accounting degree as I hate the subject and its the only module I might fail in the summer! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭fredmc

Commerce is probably your best bet if you like business-y subjects but are not that into computers. You will have to do the ECDL before 3rd year but it's mostly basic stuff.

I know a few 1st year BioChems who hate the Physics part but that can be dropped after 1st year AFAIK, might wanna check it out to see if you can tailor the course to your needs in 2nd year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

And also B.I.S.

Thanks!!!!
    In BIS we have 6 hours of IS lectures a week in first year, on top of another 6 hours labs. If you can't stand computers, stay well away, a lot of your time will be spent on the computer.
    On the other hand, we have management and financial accounting, statistics, business psychology, marketing, management. Each of those have one one hour lecture a week. We have 3 IS lectures, with 2, 1 hour lectures. Major emphasis on the IS side of the course!
    EDIT: The IS modules go over web development(html and the like) basic programming(VB in first year) and um...not sure what the other one is called but it involves learning how to use MS Visio, Exel and Access for databases. Can be tricky but its not too bad once you get into it.

I wouldn't be too worried about any course being a "girls course". If you wanna do it, do it.
    I dont know about having to "live for science" to do biochem, but from waht I've been told, most of the subjects are taught from the leaving cert levl. Chemistry part looks tough, but I was always terrible at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭TwilightWillow

Only do Biochem if you really want to pursue a career in Science, You won't pass if you dont study hard. have to be really interested in it as it is a fairly tough course. I am in first Biochem now and didn't really know what the course was like till i got in.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replys guys!
    Well see I kind of feel I didn't give Science alot of attention/effort in Secondary school as I was more interested in Business. I was doing Accounting last year in CIT but I didn't really like it. But I really like Anatomy and Physiology. What I'd like to do after BioChem would be graduate Medicine! Obviously not 100% sure yet though. Are you expected to know Leaving Cert Science subjects in first year? Or is it thought from the beginning?

Ya I kind of thought BIS was a Business course that deals with IT but more in a business sense! But It obviously more 50/50! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭TwilightWillow

Are you expected to know Leaving Cert Science subjects in first year? Or is it thought from the beginning?

You are expected to have some sort of knowledge of the science subjects, preferrably Biology and Chemistry. They don't really teach it from the beginning. I didn't do chemistry for the leaving, and I'm finding it really difficult because they kinda expect you to know whats going on. Also the hours are fairly intense, with three 3 hour lab sessions a week on top of your normal modules.

Advertisement