Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL 5 Certified Associate Exam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

It's always the way, after searching for 30 minutes and I post this topic and I find what I'm looking for right after! :D

For anyone for future reference.
    http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?6,513102,513231

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are you doing the fas course by any chance??

fryup wrote: »
    are you doing the fas course by any chance??
    Nope, doing in my own time with the view of progressing onto the professional exam in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

It has that clearly in the Table of Contents. The book is broken into 2 sections. 2/3 of the book is the Developer Exam. And you need to know it ALL. Mainly Data Tyopes. (Chapter 4 or 5 I think.)

I'm thinking if you can't read the Table of Contents then the rest of the book isn't goin to make much sense to you without help. It's a real hard read (and that's an understatement). Just read the chapter on server client concepts and you'll know what I mean.

It's the hardest exam I've done and I've done a few. The second exam with all the Inner and Ouuter Joins is a nightmare!

Have you done MySQL before?

The book is aimed at the DBA 1 & 2 exams for the professional cert and the developer exam, not the associate exam. There is nothing in the table of contents relating to the associate exam.

Yes, I have a good bit of experience with MySQL and work with it on a daily basis, just want to get the certification for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

The Associate is the Developer Exams. The Oracle site is misleading, I know. When Oracle took over from Sun they did a bad job of porting the certification details across.

So then, the first exam si up to chapter 11. The pdf / cd you get with the book is good for this exam. Nail the Data Types (specifically error handling, null values...things like that) and you'll be on a good start. If Chapter 3 is still MySQL Query Browser you can skip that completely. It's no longer covered in the exams. 7, 8, 9 and 11 are important also. Like I said, there isn't much that you don't need to know. And the book is written in pure technical cryptic geek-speak. Focus on the first Exam and see how you get on. I kid you not the second one is 3 times harder and the pdf supplied is useless!

If you PM me I'll give you my email and I'll be happy to answer any questions in more detail. I sat that exam last year for the MySQL Database Developer 5.0 cert and I still have the book with all my notes. I'm looking at it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

A great discussion on SQL certs here...

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/I-am-ready-get-my-66097.S.129294193

Im looking at beginning the MCSA as soon as possible, anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 msq

Would say going associate would be a waste of time - go devel or dba directly, you'll be grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm sitting the oracle mysql associate exam soon, how tricky is it??

is there any mock exams i can do online??

Advertisement