Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Course in UCC

Options
  • 18-03-2009 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi lads,

just looking for a bit of advice as i've got myself into a bad situation!
    Im currently doing first year of BIS in UCC and absolutely despise it!Basically,I'm just not happy doing it and I'm really far behind in terms of studying/projects etc.I really should have dropped out sooner but I thought that if i worked at it i'd come to understand it better and enjoy it more.Alas,i can see now that the course is definitely not for me and that i've made a bad mistake in doing it.i dont see the point in struggling through four years of college to get a degree for something that I dont want to do:(

I did my leaving last year and got 455 so hopefully i might be able to get commerce/finance or something if i re-apply next year.

i just have a few questions-how much would it be to do commerce or something next year and is it a one off payment or a fee that must be payed every year?

Also,whats the story with applying-do i have to make official contact with the college to drop out and then just apply through the CAO last year?

Absolutely dreading telling the parents:eek:

Sorry if my above questions are stupid.Any help/advice greatly appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

I was in the same boat as yourself earlier on in the year, i dedcided to stick with my course (Civil.Engineering) and now quite like it, still a little behind from the 3/4 weeks i just didn't show up tho.

I am under the impression that you would have to pay full fees if you wish to change courses at this stage.

You would have to re-apply through cao and as regards dropping out you would have to contact noirin deady in the west wing.

I'll try to find a link or something that has info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 NinjaSkrtel

I was in the same boat as yourself earlier on in the year, i dedcided to stick with my course (Civil.Engineering) and now quite like it, still a little behind from the 3/4 weeks i just didn't show up tho.

I am under the impression that you would have to pay full fees if you wish to change courses at this stage.

You would have to re-apply through cao and as regards dropping out you would have to contact noirin deady in the west wing.

I'll try to find a link or something that has info

Cheers for the response-I had a fair look around the UCC website but its not 100% clear.

Ya-i've missed a fair amount of college aswell but the course just doesnt suit me in general and 8 or 9 of my friends have dropped out so I just hate it.

I would have to pay full fee's at this stage alright I'd say-just trying to find out the exact figure.eg-if its 6 grand,is that 6 grand to be paid every year or is it just a one-off payment?

nice one for the help:)

I would have to pay full fee's at this stage alright I'd say-just trying to find out the exact figure.eg-if its 6 grand,is that 6 grand to be paid every year or is it just a one-off payment?

I think its 6 grand a year

You should go talk to Noirin Deady in the Admissions office, I found her very helpful when i was looking into this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 NinjaSkrtel

I think its 6 grand a year

You should go talk to Noirin Deady in the Admissions office, I found her very helpful when i was looking into this

Nice swan - i'll try her so.Did you have to make an appointment or did you just call in?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

fees are 1,000 per module no? so it varies per course depending on what module you do.

I just went up to the office in the west wing and she basically went through my options with me, no appointment necessary.

Here's her e-mail if your interested

[URL="javascript:press_email_enc("!22Deady,!20Noirin!22!20!3CN.Deady!40UCC.IE!3E")"]N.Deady@UCC.IE[/URL]

fees are 1,000 per module no? so it varies per course depending on what module you do.

I'm not sure about that. I've heard people saying that but if you go to

http://www.ucc.ie/en/financeoffice/fees/FeesSchedule20082009/

and click EU under graduate fee schedule 2008/2009, you'll see that most fees only come up to 6/7000 euro including registration adn capitation fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think an internal transfer within a faculty is normally hassle free, I was looking to change from Comp Science to BIS a few years back and I had to go through CAO, went to CIT in the end anyway so it didn't matter.

Advertisement