Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

75 Series Landcruiser Troopy won't turn off

• 26-01-2016 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

So tonight I moved my Troopy and was surprised when I turned the key and took it out of the ignition the engine was still running.
    My usual routine when parking up is to leave it in gear so clutch and brake pedal are pushed in (the handbrake isn't great on the Troopy).

It only turned off when I released the brake pedal and broke that circuit.

I started it again and turned it off no problems when the brake pedal wasn't pushed down.

I then started it again, turned the lights on then turned the engine off without the brake pedal engaged. The engine stayed on but the headlights dimmed. Once I turned the headlights off, the engine cut out.

The headlights only turn on very dim with the engine off now.

I'm guessing it's an electrical problem with the ignition. The battery is fine as it starts up first go every time although I haven't checked it with a multi meter yet.

I don't have the time or the means to fix it myself so just wondering what to expect when I get it repaired, as in large job or small job tracing down the electrical fault.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

My defender had a similar problem a few years ago, it would not switch off while the headlights were on.
    It had wires crossed behind the taillight just from rubbing against each other over time had worn the insulation away.
    I failed to find where the fault was at the time and paid an auto election 60 or 70 euro .
    It sounds like you have the same problem and its not a big job but finding out exactly where its happening might take you a while . (I got tired looking for it anyway)
    Best of luck .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Cheers mate. I do need to get the rear main seal fixed at some point, it's weeping ever so slightly and might as well get the clutch replaced while they are at it. I'll just get this sorted at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

Ive seen the exact same issue with a Sprinter a few years ago.

The wrong bulb had been fitted in the brake light, a single single instead of a double double and it was back feeding and letting power through

It was a bit more serious. All the connections have been corroded (I reckon Fraser Island and that massive washout I hit didn't help). There was an earth problem as well and some new battery cables needed. So about $440 for all the work.

The air con was fixed about 2 years ago but some older O-Rings were leaking and a few valves in the sytstem as well as regassing. About $830 all up....next the rear main, clutch and brakes....

pete4130 wrote: »
    It was a bit more serious. All the connections have been corroded (I reckon Fraser Island and that massive washout I hit didn't help). There was an earth problem as well and some new battery cables needed. So about $440 for all the work.

The air con was fixed about 2 years ago but some older O-Rings were leaking and a few valves in the sytstem as well as regassing. About $830 all up....next the rear main, clutch and brakes....

Yikes!
    No such thing as a cheap fix here!
    Where are you based Pete?

• Advertisement

I'm Sydney. You are WA aren't you? You should join some Landcruiser Australia groups on FB. Good for finding out if anything is happening nearby, repair tips, meet ups etc. I'm a member of Troopcarriers of Australia group. Everybody helps each other out if they can.

Nothing is cheap here, especially for 4X4's. It's age related issues rather than poor reliability so I put it down to keeping it maintained.

If I go away for 4 weekends with my partner, then that works out $200 a weekend break so looking at it that way isn't too bad.

pete4130 wrote: »
    I'm Sydney. You are WA aren't you? You should join some Landcruiser Australia groups on FB. Good for finding out if anything is happening nearby, repair tips, meet ups etc. I'm a member of Troopcarriers of Australia group. Everybody helps each other out if they can.

Nothing is cheap here, especially for 4X4's. It's age related issues rather than poor reliability so I put it down to keeping it maintained.

If I go away for 4 weekends with my partner, then that works out $200 a weekend break so looking at it that way isn't too bad.

Yeah I'm on the Perth 70 series page. A massive wealth of info and ideas

It evens out. Trying to get my one set up to do some big travelling before things go tits up here completely haha

Advertisement