Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nct fail

• 31-08-2015 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there just wondering if anyone can help. My Ford Mondeo failed the nct on excessive smoke emissions test not done. Can anyone out there let me know what it could possibly be and if it will cost much to get fixed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Petrol or diesel?
    Model and year?
    What are the numbers from the sheet?
    Where are you located in case we can recommend a mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MichelleOH32

biko wrote:
    Petrol or diesel? Model and year? What are the numbers from the sheet? Where are you located in case we can recommend a mechanic.

It's petrol 02 Ford Mondeo 1.8. They never did the emissions test because of excessive smoke. Balbriggan based. Just want to see who may know what they think may needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,296 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What colour was the smoke, is your car burning excessive oil?

bazz26 wrote:
    What colour was the smoke, is your car burning excessive oil?

Funny thing is there is no smoke coming from the exhaust at all. All they say on the form was excessive smoke could not preform emissions test. That was it. The guy didn't even know what the problem could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Funny thing is there is no smoke coming from the exhaust at all. All they say on the form was excessive smoke could not preform emissions test. That was it. The guy didn't even know what the problem could be.

This reminds me of the position with regard to the British Postal Service and Scotland, i.e. officially it is considered "overseas". They are not able rightly to say what sea it is over, but anyway...

The point is, this is a peculiar sort of "excessive smoke" if it isn't manifesting at the exhaust pipe. Did he say anything else? Is it perchance rising from the engine with the bonnet up??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Leak further up the exhaust system ?

The smokes colour is important too.

No smoke coming from anywhere. Hubby thinks it is burning the oil too quick but there are no leaks anywhere. Just thought I would see if anyone on here may know potentially what it could be and what it may cost to fix the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

How does the engine sound? Normal or a bit spluttery?

No smoke coming from anywhere. Hubby thinks it is burning the oil too quick but there are no leaks anywhere. Just thought I would see if anyone on here may know potentially what it could be and what it may cost to fix the problem.

Well the Zetec engines will burn a drop of oil, most Fords do. How much oil is it using, and how fast, i.e. litres per how many miles/kilometres?

Not too sure how quick would need to check but the engine sounds perfect it's fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Piston rings worn give it a good rev and the smoke will appear at exhaust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, just go to a local mech and let them have a look.

Well we ran it through the NCT again and it needs a new engine - signs of burning too much oil emissions were too high.

thanks for all the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the new engine diagnosis from the NCT tester or mechanic

both really - I brought the failed sheet into the mechanic didnt say anything to him and he said it straight away with emissions that high its burning too much oil and you will need a new engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You need a new car, basically.
    Won't be worth putting a new engine in an 02 Mondeo.

Yeah that is what we had been told also. so it is sitting there until I can get rid :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I would be suspicious of any mechanic who diagnosed a engine needing replacement based only on a NCT report. Especially true if smoke is not clearly visible in the exhaust and you are not constantly topping up the oil.

Post up the NCT readings.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    I would be suspicious of any mechanic who diagnosed a engine needing replacement based only on a NCT report. Especially true if smoke is not clearly visible in the exhaust and you are not constantly topping up the oil.

Post up the NCT readings.

This. You'd be amazed.

Advertisement