Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI Suncream 0.49

Options
  • 28-09-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Spotted Aldi suncream - Childrens SPF 30 marked on shelf for 0.49c in Aldi today. Keep an eye out tho it rang up at 1.99 but when I said it should be 0.49 they changed the price charged at the till.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

I'd say we'll need that in, oh, about 9 months !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Pique wrote: »
    I'd say we'll need that in, oh, about 9 months !
    Now that's commitment to a Bargain Alert. Don't have kids to make use of 49c Childrens SPF 30 sun cream? Make some! :pac:

Doesnt it go off?
    Or at the verry least, factor 30, wont be factor 30 by next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Great BA. Just don't let the kids put any parts of their body (especially hands) on the outside of your car, and especially don't put your own hands there. From threads in the Motors forum, it stains, and is a pig to remove.

Also, it is very important to be aware that you cannot just repeatedly re-apply SPF and expect it to continue protecting the skin.

What this means is that if your, or your child's, skin would burn in 5 minutes without protection, whatever SPF you use just multiplies this time once. So, burning unprotected in 5 minutes means that SPF 30 will extend this time to 150 minutes. Re-application does not offer the same protection - if you re-apply, then stay in the sun for another 150 minutes, you or your child will be burned as if you had been exposed for 10 minutes without protection. If your skin would burn in 5 minutes without protection, think how much extra damage would be done in another 5 minutes, and another 5 minutes (if you re-apply a third time).

Waterproof SPF is better, and drying with a towel removes some protection...

Apart from possibly developing skin cancer later, overexposure to sunlight (or sunbed light) dries out the skin permanently i.e. wrinkles before real old age.

Even if the skin darkens rather than burns, the damage is still being done.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Doesnt it go off?
    Or at the verry least, factor 30, wont be factor 30 by next summer.

Yes it goes off but it has a long shelf live. It'll easily last till next year.

Only problem I have with it is that it's too thick and so doesn't spread well so I end up with gray(er) hair and beard(if I haven't shaved in a few days) after putting it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Del2005 wrote: »

Only problem I have with it is that it's too thick and so doesn't spread well so I end up with gray(er) hair and beard(if I haven't shaved in a few days) after putting it on.
    Probably the same for men:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Del2005 wrote: »

I wouldn't be so sure about it - will be out of date before next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

loki7777 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure about it - will be out of date before next summer.

Do you REALLY think all the shops have dumped any leftover suncream from this year and the shelves will be stocked with fresh stuff next year???

Suncream doesnt have a best before date, it has 12 month shelflife once opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

My point is that if there is no UBD it doesn't mean it is still good.
    In some countries suncream has to have UBD.
    And if we are talking about suncream for children I wouldn't risk. For adults i wouldn't care - even if it was open last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

twomonkeys wrote: »
    Do you REALLY think all the shops have dumped any leftover suncream from this year and the shelves will be stocked with fresh stuff next year???

I think sunscreen has a Use By Date usually stamped on the crimping at the end of the tube, possibly also on the box if it has one. Under FDA regulations, the active ingredients in suncreens are supposed to be good for 2-3 years. Although FDA guidelines don't apply in Ireland, I'm guessing manufacturers use similar standards in Europe.

• Advertisement

They added a Best Before date in the last year or so to sun cream sold in the EU. I had some at home with no BBD so had to dump them. Now they have more than a year usually before they expire, as said I wouldn't want to trust an not at it's best sun cream for protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Usually good for a few years, there is generally a wee icon of a 'open tub' with 12 beside it, this means you've got 12mths to use (once it has been opened).

On the other hand, did you ever ask yourself how our species go by for the last zillion or so years, without having a rather varied mix of chemicals smeared on to them?

Joe Doe wrote: »

On the other hand, did you ever ask yourself how our species go by for the last zillion or so years, without having a rather varied mix of chemicals smeared on to them?

I'm sure plenty got bad sun burn which lead to cancer but as they didn't have much medical knowledge they couldn't do much about it bar die younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Or maybe they just made a wee straw hat and covered up slightly after the 1st realisation that the sun can burn skin slightly under certain specific conditions/locations.

Hard to believe the race has made it to 2014 en al...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

The best before date is not the key driver. Shelf space / storage space cost is the key driver.

After summer is over, clothes retailers, often sell shorts below cost to get rid of them. Sure, they could keep them in storage for another year but that has a cost attached to it. It is simpler, easier and more cost efficient to below cost sell the product now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks op, this will do brilliant for next year.

Advertisement