Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 15 for €219

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think if you are looking for advice on different laptops a better place to ask would be in the laptop forum. You get more advice there.

Anyone looking for a bare bones machine, for light use, this Dell is a good deal. I would probably wait for the next time it drops to 199 though. I note a few other models with the same atom chip have Ethernet or USB 3. But they are dearer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

I ordered the one from the dell website..

total price was 194 or there about. got the confirmation email and was looking forward to getting the laptop as is was a present for the father in law.

a few days later i got a call from dell saying they couldnt find my order and did i get a confirmation email. So he went off to check and i didnt hear back, so i got in touch with dell on twitter and they told me they cant find my order and i should order again.

I asked would they honour the original price but they said that prices change all the time so they cant give it to me at the lower price.

terrible business ethics. Get you to order, "lose" your order, tell you you can order at a higher price.

well done dell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

You have the confirmation email of the order which is a contract. Don't let it go, smalls claim court ->

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

VikingG wrote: »
    From what you say you will need it for I would say that the i7 and the spec is more than you will need.... it is up to you and your budget.... if you can afford it then this is a great system that will run any of the games out there at the moment and would future proof you for quite a while....

Thanks

Kind of thinking the better system might be a bit of over kill and may go for the €584 system.

Also - can't figure out why Dell isn't top of most people's lists when it comes to buying these things - from from I've seen its as cheap if not cheaper than buying comparable other systems from different brands on Amazon and you have the piece of mind of a 12 month collect and return guarentee. For the same omney I don't see why anyone would go through Amazon but I'm sure I must be missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭user99

how is anyone finding this laptop for hd video streaming and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Nono Toure wrote: »
    Is the Dell laptop mentioned above better than the 2 that are on sale in Tesco at the moment for 279 euro? I'm not permitted to post links sorry!

I need a new laptop , 15"-16", and will only be using it for basic internet, emails, YouTube and Skype.

actually you can posts links now you hit 50 posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Is this still available? When I click on the link in first post it just brings me to the homepage but not specifically this laptop?

Also, would people think its good enough for general college work, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and a bit of Netflix?

Thanks

You have the confirmation email of the order which is a contract. Don't let it go, smalls claim court ->

Do you think so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

WHL wrote: »
    Which program's did you remove with PC Decrapafier. Most seemed to be acceptable
    Yeah, not as much bloatware as I'd expected — in fact, I just took off the trial versions of MacAfee and MS Office; there were a few other Dell utilities that I left there for the moment, since they don't tend to have much impact on resources (no more than the pre-installed desktop shortcuts to eBay/Amazon/Dropbox).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Isn't this expired?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

Still can be got for 249 plus i saw a 7% off code on the page yesterday

This post has been deleted.

no they didnt charge the card,, well, no money came out anyway

I spotted on the link that it only has Microsoft Office 2013 trial, how basic is that? Or does anybody know how long it lasts for?

Need a laptop that has Word, Powerpoint and Excel.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Col200sx wrote: »
    I spotted on the link that it only has Microsoft Office 2013 trial, how basic is that? Or does anybody know how long it lasts for?

Thanks.

Very few laptops come with full MS Office licenses. If you want to buy a license you're looking at 140 euros (or you can get a 1 year license for 99 euros a year (which can be used on 5 devices)

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mseea/en_IE/cat/Office/categoryID.66226700?tid=s8uQ9uULw_dc&cid=757v9g10661&pcrid=28101373156&pkw=ms%20office&pmt=p&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=pointitsem_Microsoft+IE_google_Office+-+IE&WT.term=ms%20office&WT.campaign=Office+-+IE&WT.content=8uQ9uULw&WT.source=google&WT.medium=cpc

If you don't want to spend that much money, you can get one of the open source alternatives to office, such as Apache or Libreoffice which are free and functionally almost the same as the Microsoft product.

http://www.libreoffice.org/
    https://www.openoffice.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pumbah

Villa05 wrote: »
    Still can be got for 249 plus i saw a 7% off code on the page yesterday

"Save 7% on all Inspiron & XPS. Use the coupon code QKN1RGB1R9144G. Offer valid until 01.10.2014"

brings the price down to €231.57...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Thanks.
    You could try using the cloud version of MS Office which is free (and has 15GB storage)
    I tried it the other day and it's fine for basic word processing and allows you to upload the files as docx and download them locally as docx for sending on to someone if you need to
    Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Anyone have a lengthy delivery? Took em two day to build mine then they shipp on 22nd and there has been no update on tracking....
    I didn't realise the laptop was coming from china.... Last one if ordered came from uk and limerick.
    Will there be customs? Any idea how long delivery takes?
    My friend ordered a mac the same day and had it in 12 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

deegs wrote: »
    Anyone have a lengthy delivery? Took em two day to build mine then they shipp on 22nd and there has been no update on tracking....
    I didn't realise the laptop was coming from china.... Last one if ordered came from uk and limerick.
    Will there be customs? Any idea how long delivery takes?
    My friend ordered a mac the same day and had it in 12 hours...

For laptops it takes up to 12 days from when it's dispatched.

No manufacturing done in Limerick anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

peckerhead wrote: »
    Yeah, not as much bloatware as I'd expected — in fact, I just took off the trial versions of MacAfee and MS Office; there were a few other Dell utilities that I left there for the moment, since they don't tend to have much impact on resources (no more than the pre-installed desktop shortcuts to eBay/Amazon/Dropbox).

Thanks peckerhead. I agree - there was a lot less rubbish than I expected

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

This should be expired.

Price is now €249 but is OUT of Stock when you check it on clearance deals.

In Stock when you check Latop and Tablet deals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

FYI theres two similar but slightly different spec in Power City for 279/289

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-30-214883 (2GB)
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-30-543149

Mine is "in production" since Monday 29th September with no update on the order since.

They've said estimated deliver date is "on or before Monday 6th October", but I find that optimistic now if like said above, it comes from China???

I realise only now my estimated date of delivery is 6th of November, not 6th October.

WTF, 5 weeks?????

Can anybody that received theirs please tell me it didnt take this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

Ordered mine on a Wednesday night. It arrived on the following Monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badboybubby

I realise only now my estimated date of delivery is 6th of November, not 6th October.

WTF, 5 weeks?????

Can anybody that received theirs please tell me it didnt take this long?

Mine was in production since Sept 26 with the delivery date being moved from Oct 2nd to 7th and then to the 13th.mailed them Wednesday about it and it's now showing as shipped since thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mine took 2days.

Advertisement