Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 15 for €219

Options
  • 17-09-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Dell Inspiron 15 for €219 here

For a basic laptop for surfing the web, emails and watching movies etc. it looks a great price. Also has a HDMI slot which a lot of the cheaper models don't. Hard to find a non-netbook at the same price
    • Intel® Celeron® Dual Core N2830 Processor
    • Windows(R) 8.1 with Bing, English
    • 4GB Single Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx1)
    • 500GB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
    • 15.6 inch LED Backlit Display with Truelife and HD resolution (1366 x 768)
    • HDMITM 1.4a, USB 2.0 (2), Security slot, 4-in-1 Media Card (SD/SDHC/MS/MS Pro)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Dell Inspiron 15 for €219 here

For a basic laptop for surfing the web, emails and watching movies etc. it looks a great price. Also has a HDMI slot which a lot of the cheaper models don't. Hard to find a non-netbook at the same price
    • Intel® Celeron® Dual Core N2830 Processor
    • Windows(R) 8.1 with Bing, English
    • 4GB Single Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx1)
    • 500GB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
    • 15.6 inch LED Backlit Display with Truelife and HD resolution (1366 x 768)
    • HDMITM 1.4a, USB 2.0 (2), Security slot, 4-in-1 Media Card (SD/SDHC/MS/MS Pro)

There is NO optical(DVD) drive on this laptop. That will make big a difference to most poeple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There is NO optical(DVD) drive on this laptop. That will make big a difference to most poeple.

Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Didn't spot the other thread. Wouldn't see an optical drive as that much of an issue. I haven't had need for one on my own laptop in the 3 years i've been without one.

Bought one for my mother anyway who wouldn't have any need and wouldn't know what bluetooth or USB 3 (which it doesn't have either) are so i'm sure it'll suit her fine upgrading from an 8 year old Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

foggy_lad wrote: »

It would have made a big difference to most people in 2004. Not so much in 2014 ;)

Great price (it was a great price at €249 for which it has been for sale for quite some time), but people should note it's an Atom CPU, conveniently renamed Celeron by Intel

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    It would have made a big difference to most people in 2004. Not so much in 2014 ;)

Great price (it was a great price at €249 for which it has been for sale for quite some time), but people should note it's an Atom CPU, conveniently renamed Celeron by Intel
    My own laptop cost close to a grand and doesn't have one!

Some reviews on Amazon also if anyones interested

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Optical drives are the new floppy drives!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

Is the Dell laptop mentioned above better than the 2 that are on sale in Tesco at the moment for 279 euro? I'm not permitted to post links sorry!

I need a new laptop , 15"-16", and will only be using it for basic internet, emails, YouTube and Skype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nono Toure wrote: »
    Is the Dell laptop mentioned above better than the 2 that are on sale in Tesco at the moment for 279 euro? I'm not permitted to post links sorry!

I need a new laptop , 15"-16", and will only be using it for basic internet, emails, YouTube and Skype.

This laptop is perfect for those uses and a fantastic bargain.

No optical drive isn't an issue for the vast majority of people. Not sure when I last used an optical drive in either a PC or laptop - it has been literally years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

unkel wrote: »
    ditto to this, who actually still uses cd's and dvd's any more? :confused:

someone gave me a news report that they were in on dvd a year or so ago and I (seriously, not joking) had to watch it in the car as that was the only place i still had a dvd player! :D

• Advertisement

LOL, yeah now you mention it, we haven't used the DVD player in the living room for a long time. Old cheap PC with big networked hard drives hooked up to the dumb old TV (HD) is all you need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Its a decent enough machine for the money, from what I have seen of the Bay Trail tablets which have a similar processor it should have no problems with web browsing, web video and general office type software.

The reason for this new low is the fact that there is an Intel vs ARM and Microsoft vs Android price war going on as the original PC makers try to claw back market share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭user99

how will this cope with hd films in 720 and 1080?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bunnymunro

How will this machine handle downloading movies watching Netflix etc. Besides that all I will be using it for will be browsing and Writing essays in word. Also anyone know how long delivery takes?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Dell website usually gives you an estimated delivery date when you get as far as the checkout basket.

Regarding downloading, speed will depend on your internet connection rather than device your downloading from but it has 500gb of drive space (including OS) so should have enough space to download your average size movie. Of course if you want to keep these movies then you'll probably have to store them on an external hard drive or NAS.

bunnymunro wrote: »
    anyone know how long delivery takes?

Depends. I've ordered 3 Dell laptops this year so far and all came surprisingly quick. Typically just 2-3 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

How will this machine handle downloading movies watching Netflix etc. Besides that all I will be using it for will be browsing and Writing essays in word.

Should'nt have any problem with any of that.
    Also anyone know how long delivery takes?
    Dell site says it ships on the 19th.
    Laptops take up to 12 days to deliver from when they are shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

how about using this as a media centre connected to a NAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

redman wrote: »

I was thinking along similar lines, with the addition of XBMC and a wireless USB keyboard/Airmouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

I'm guessing football manager will be out if it's no cd or dvd drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

sugarman wrote: »
    Steam!

Just buy it on the steam website is it? I'm really not computer savvy

A portable USB powered DVD drive solves that. or Steam.

I have a laptop with only two USB ports and I find it very limiting. Some of the N2830 models by other brands have 3 ports (one of them USB 3.0) which might be a consideration.

beauf wrote: »
    A portable USB powered DVD drive solves that. or Steam.

I have a laptop with only two USB ports and I find it very limiting. Some of the N2830 models by other brands have 3 ports (one of them USB 3.0) which might be a consideration.
    I'd imagine again that most people don't need more than 2 USB ports at a time on a lapop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Anyone know if Fm would work well on this?

I'd imagine again that most people don't need more than 2 USB ports at a time on a lapop

Maybe, you can always use a hub, unless the devices are hub powered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

redman wrote: »

I tried to use a laptop as a media centre before and ran into 2 problems
    • it kept putting itself to sleep when the lid was closed.
    • the power button was above the keyboard, necessitating opening the lid to turn on/wake-up.

back on topic - would this machine run Minecraft reasonably well - the game requires 4G RAM which this has but not sure about graphics requirements?

Reviews on YouTube Web seem to suggest it will run minecraft on smaller maps and lower detail well. But slows when you go beyond that.

I tried minecraft on a i3 and HD4000 and the kids tell me it was jerky. I have no idea what kinda mincraft games/map it was. They seemed to think it was ok on a much older laptop with lower spec's but with a Nvidia GFX.

Going into sleep can usually be change in the bios and/or OS. Depends on the bios and OS though.

For sleep there should be an option under power properties if you right click the battery. From recollection i think you can set it to when screen closed do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

For sleep there should be an option under power properties if you right click the battery. From recollection i think you can set it to when screen closed do nothing

And you could maybe use wake on plan in a smartphone to get around the power button issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

imitation wrote: »
    And you could maybe use wake on plan in a smartphone to get around the power button issue.

Yeah you can disable sleep when lid closed,

as for waking it up , a mouse or some kind of usb device should be able to wake it.

Advertisement