Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cadetships 2012....info??

Options
  • 02-12-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Well lads Applying for army cadetship for 2012 when I finish my degree. just wondering is their any officers on or army lads in general that can give me sum advice? Im fluent in irish and going in with a degree so I know that counts for extra.

I have a military background my father was in the ranger wing and I feel this is the way I want to go.

any advice or tips would be appreciated

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

jimmy11 wrote: »
    Well lads Applying for army cadetship for 2012 when I finish my degree. just wondering is their any officers on or army lads in general that can give me sum advice? Im fluent in irish and going in with a degree so I know that counts for extra.

I have a military background my father was in the ranger wing and I feel this is the way I want to go.

cheers

If your Father is an Exer, I would suggest asking him, especially with him being based in the curragh, I think he would be the one to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jimmy11

To be honest I don't really talk to him I shud of mentioned that in first post sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

To be honest I don't really talk to him I shud of mentioned that in first post sorry

Why not?

I'm asking because you put the information forward as a reason for your interest. In an interview situation, it will be asked, what his opinion of your interest is, and why he inspired you, if you put him as your inspiration.

Don't lead yourself into a question with a dead end answer.

We don't talk for personell reasons that I won't get into on a public forum. I'm just askin on here because I can't really go to him etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

Can I ask what's your degree in?

• Advertisement

Yea no prob! Its in construction management and engineering

Ok my advice is; take each of the stages one at a time don't get ahead of yourself.

First stage is the aptitude tests. You can go away and do prep courses if you want but at the end of the day if you have the aptitude you have the aptitude if not all you're doing is learning the test.

Second stage is the fitness. So obvious thing there is get running it's pass or fail so you don't get any extra points for being fitter than someone else so long as you just pass you're sound.

After the fitness tests but on the same day you get introduced to current Cadets they tell ya all about life as a cadet. Then ya meet a recently commissioned officer they tell ya all about life as a new officer. Then you do your group assessment. It's in groups of 4 your given a scenario and ye have to come up with a solution. It's all very handy just don't come across too bosy and try to make logical coherent sentences. Then its off to the cadets mess for tea and sandwiches. then bed.

After that it's the interview stage. Again no suprises here they ask you questions you answer to the best of your ability. Theyre not gonna try and catch ya out just as you're not gonna bullsh*t them.

Then it's the medical stage.

I myself went through all that last year made it down to the last 30 or so, however many were called for medicals made it no further though.

My advice go for it so long as you're sure it's the career you want. But with a degree in Construction Management I'd advise against it head to London you'll get work there no problem that's what I did and I couldn't be happier with the way things turned out. But that's just my opinion.

What is it that interests you in a career as an officer?

Medicals are rigouras enough so? I've always being interested in joining the army and then I took interest in the cadets when I looked into the army further. I was planning on applying straight after school but decided to try college first , now I nearly have my degree and the cadets is still what I want to do.

I'm also older with a bit more sense I suppose and i have no interest in workin on building sites or being stuck in an office for the rest of my life!

If i go to the cadets the plan is to try get my arw training done and hopefully get selected . My father havin being involved in the army gives me a bit more push also I suppose.

Nope I passed the medical but you're graded on your interview and I just didn't make the cut. I'm in noway sour about though in case anybody thinks that's the reason I'm advising against it.

From my experience I can tell you that with your degree you would spend little to no time in an office most of your time you'd be on site directing the works. But out of interest if you have no interest in this type of work why spend 4 years studying it?

Oh I am interested in it, I have worked on sites both physically and in a management roll but I just dont feel it's what I want to do for my entire life. And being Honest construction was the only interest I had , my other choice was going to be doing an apprenticeship . The army has being my interest since day 1, and I'm just glad I'm in a position to be able apply for the cadets with my degree already done.

• Advertisement

Not too bad lad best of luck with it. Keep the head up because the application process can be a bitch at times lots of waiting to hear back in between stages.

Will do man. Cheers for the info lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

If i go to the cadets the plan is to try get my arw training done and hopefully get selected . My father havin being involved in the army gives me a bit more push also I suppose.

Not prying here as its private obviously. But I wouldn't bring any negativity into the interview. If you use this as a point in the interview you have to be prepared for the follow up questions? If you guys don't get a long it mightn't be the best idea to drop the name as if one of the board knows him he could ask him his opinion and you could get black balled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

cheers

You may be fluent in Irish but You should try and improve your English; your spelling and punctuation are appalling. Do not make anything at interview of the fact that your father was in the ARW. If asked about your father say he serves or served in the military at x location for y amount of time.

I meant to say on the you being fluent in Irish thing. At the interview stage your given the option to do a leaving cert Irish oral type job and successful completion of this entitles you to an extra few percent. Also holding a degree entitles you to an extra few percent. not sure on the figures for both but I know the degree is worth more and your're only awarded percentage for one or the other.

We don't talk for personell reasons that I won't get into on a public forum. I'm just askin on here because I can't really go to him etc!

If you are not willing to go into the details on a forum, fair enough, but understand that if you mention him at interview as an inspiration, the question will be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

I wonder if there will be a cadet intake in 2012 given the budget cutbacks etc & that the rate of officers to other ranks is in the region of 1:4 at the moment in the Irish DF compared to 1:16 in the BA

Bagenal wrote: »
    I wonder if there will be a cadet intake in 2012 given the budget cutbacks etc & that the rate of officers to other ranks is in the region of 1:4 at the moment in the Irish DF compared to 1:16 in the BA

During the PS recruitment embargo, when general service recruitment ground to a halt, and even templemore closed for new gardai, the Jam factory kept taking officer cadets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

During the PS recruitment embargo, when general service recruitment ground to a halt, and even templemore closed for new gardai, the Jam factory kept taking officer cadets.

Do you know the reasoning behind this?

I will be going for cadetship 2012 if its on offer.It's something I have been interested in since secondary school but I have other options I would tackle if it's not on the table.I'm training for it in preparation that it is taking place.

Having said that just from the bits and bobs I have picked up off this forum what the DF seems to be crying out for is fresh recruits. Would they not get more 'bang for their buck' by intaking a small amount of general enlistment as opposed to the rigmorale in training in batch a young officers?

Or is it just better PR to have fresh officers qualifying every year even if it isn't in the best interests of the PDF?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Bagenal wrote: »

Did you just pull those numbers from the top of your head?

As of Feb 2011 there are 1329 officers in the Defence Forces and 8253 other ranks. Ratio of 1:6.2 link

In the BA 2008 figures were 14,370 officers to 83,920 other ranks, a ratio of 1:5.8 link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

delta720 wrote: »
    Did you just pull those numbers from the top of your head?

As of Feb 2011 there are 1329 officers in the Defence Forces and 8253 other ranks. Ratio of 1:6.2 link

In the BA 2008 figures were 14,370 officers to 83,920 other ranks, a ratio of 1:5.8 link

Apologies, I should have qualified what I said, the quoted ratio's were from an article in a Sunday newspaper couple of weeks back, they were off the mark judging by your figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tybalt

I have been reading through this thread and also the thread "Cadetships 2011" on the forum as I am hoping to apply for the next competition, whenever it will be, and I have a few questions about the whole process.
    Does the aptitude/psychometric text just comprise of Verbal reasoning, Numerical reasoning and Job simulation? Or does it include anything else? Such as non-verbal reasoning or mechanical comprehension. Also roughly how many questions are there for each and what time is given to complete the entire exam?
    I have also seen that it is possible to get a bonus of 6% of the total marks at the interview stage(not that I'm saying I'll get that far) for showing proficiency in both English and Irish. Does this mean that you can do your main interview in English and a separate one in Irish? And if so, would the Irish interview be similar to that of the Leaving certificate oral exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Tybalt wrote: »
    I have been reading through this thread and also the thread "Cadetships 2011" on the forum as I am hoping to apply for the next competition, whenever it will be, and I have a few questions about the whole process.
    Does the aptitude/psychometric text just comprise of Verbal reasoning, Numerical reasoning and Job simulation? Or does it include anything else? Such as non-verbal reasoning or mechanical comprehension. Also roughly how many questions are there for each and what time is given to complete the entire exam?
    I have also seen that it is possible to get a bonus of 6% of the total marks at the interview stage(not that I'm saying I'll get that far) for showing proficiency in both English and Irish. Does this mean that you can do your main interview in English and a separate one in Irish? And if so, would the Irish interview be similar to that of the Leaving certificate oral exam?

Everything about the aptitude/psychometric testing is in the cadetship booklet. there is a saville holdsworth type questionnaire as well - nothing to fear from this. There is a bonus mark for sitting an Irish test. I gather it is leaving cert level Irish. You cannot combine the Irish bonus with any other bonus eg - being in the RDF, you will just take the higher of the two if you qualify for both.

Thanks for the quick answer

I was talking to an individual that's deals with recruitment to some extent in the army, and he said there has no being date set yet for 2012 recruitment yet. Last years recruitment occurred in march 2011 but he was not able to assure me it would be the case this year, recession and cut backs playing there parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

IIRC you get 2% for being a private in the RDF, 6% for being an Irish speaker and 10% for having a degree.
    You can only get the highest bonus though.

Although out of interest, if you have a degree does that mean there's any point in doing the Irish test? Even if they don't take the 6% into account, does it mean they will prefer an Irish speaker with a degree to a non-Irish speaking graduate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Camoflage

Interesting 30 Cadets Inducted compared to 491 General Service in 2011 but it ground to a halt?

Lockstep wrote: »
    IIRC you get 2% for being a private in the RDF, 6% for being an Irish speaker and 10% for having a degree.
    You can only get the highest bonus though.

Although out of interest, if you have a degree does that mean there's any point in doing the Irish test? Even if they don't take the 6% into account, does it mean they will prefer an Irish speaker with a degree to a non-Irish speaking graduate?

Only the highest bonus % is taken into account ... so no point in doing the Irish if you are a level 8 graduate

Camoflage wrote: »
    Only the highest bonus % is taken into account ... so no point in doing the Irish if you are a level 8 graduate

woops ... it comes from Irish legislation for all public sector jobs to support the Irish Language

• Advertisement

Sorry if I'm asking a silly question but what is the difference between proficiency and fluency in Irish? I wouldn't consider myself fluent in Irish but I think I would be capable of Leaving Certificate higher level Irish. Would that be sufficient for the Irish interview if I was to do that?

Thanks in advance :D

Advertisement