Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abebooks safe to use

Options
  • 17-07-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

hey,
    i'm trying to get book for college and the only place that has it is abebooks.
    i was wondering if anyone has used this site before and is it trustworthy?
    thanks,
    Musical.x :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah they're fine. Order through Fatcheese or bethrifty for 5% cashback!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MacDizzle

Yeah, I've ordered plenty of books for college from abebooks, they're good. Though obviously it depends on where the book is coming from/how heavy it is on how promptly you'll receive your order. Over all though they're totally a good website to order from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

the seller is world of books.com. delivey could take 7-28 days so i want to order it soon so i'll have it before the beginning of college.
    i'm glad people have tried this site. feel better buying off of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Yes, I've tried AbeBooks a few times and it's fine, no problems. If you are ordering 2nd hand books they are normally in good condition. I'm waiting for 2 books to be delivered from them now.

Yes, I've tried AbeBooks a few times and it's fine, no problems. If you are ordering 2nd hand books they are normally in good condition. I'm waiting for 2 books to be delivered from them now.
    yeh the book is second hand. they say its in Very good condition so i'm hoping thats true. how accurate are the delivery times they give? 7-days seems a bit extreme.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean, if you're waiting for the books for college then you'd rather not wait too long.

I'm not sure if your books are coming from the US, if they are, then 7 days seems extremely fast.

I know with The Book Depository & Amazon you can track your orders online. I'm not sure if you can do that with Abe Books.

Still, they might be the best option as at least you have managed to find your books on AbeBooks. The books would probably have been very difficult to find in a bricks and mortar store.

Good luck! I'll post here when I receive my books & let you know how long it took.

I know what you mean, if you're waiting for the books for college then you'd rather not wait too long.

I'm not sure if your books are coming from the US, if they are, then 7 days seems extremely fast.

I know with The Book Depository & Amazon you can track your orders online. I'm not sure if you can do that with Abe Books.

Still, they might be the best option as at least you have managed to find your books on AbeBooks. The books would probably have been very difficult to find in a bricks and mortar store.

Good luck! I'll post here when I receive my books & let you know how long it took.

no the book is coming from england! thats why i'm confused about the 28 days :p
    that'd be great thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have ordered from them and was told my delievery would be 28 days. I had the book in 5 days. The condition was listed as fair but imo it was like new. Very pleased with the service and would buy from again.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I have ordered from them and was told my delievery would be 28 days. I had the book in 5 days. The condition was listed as fair but imo it was like new. Very pleased with the service and would buy from again.
    thats brilliant! thanks for replying. the book i ordered cant be found anywhere else so i had to get it. hopefully my book will come quickly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

http://techcrunch.com/2008/08/01/amazon-to-acquire-abebooks/
    Amazon has acquired twelve year old Canadian company Abebooks (formerly the Advanced Book Exchange), the companies just announced. AbeBooks is an online marketplace for books focusing on used, rare and out of print titles for sale by independent booksellers – it currently has 110 million books for sale from 13,500 sellers.

The company has been a

I've used it and it's great

• Advertisement

Not another takeover! Will Amazon be a monopoly now? I worry about this. I had been using Amazon for a long time until I discovered the great prices and free delivery on TBD. I use AbeBooks when I can't find the book on either of the 2 sites.

I had a look at all those other websites, thanks everyone!

got an email this morning saying the book had been cancelled. no exact reason given just a list of possibilities (none of them were faults on my behalf). have to order a different one now meaning a longer wait. if this one even gets accepted :( frustrating to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

Not another takeover! Will Amazon be a monopoly now? I worry about this. I had been using Amazon for a long time until I discovered the great prices and free delivery on TBD. I use AbeBooks when I can't find the book on either of the 2 sites.

I had a look at all those other websites, thanks everyone!

you'll often see the second hand books on Amazon are also on Abe - sometimes there's a difference in price - but the sellers decide these AFAICS

Sometimes you can use Amazon to find the book and then go to the sellers website if you prefer to "stick it to the man" :)

found another book and they have posted it. just waiting now to see the condition. shipping is 4-7 days so hope thats pretty accurate :)

my book arrived today. well packed and in great condition!delighted!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've used them a few times, and it's been fine each time (apart from one UK seller charging what turned out to be an extortionate shipping fee). The shipping cost is often as expensive as the book itself, so it can help to find a seller with a large catalogue who charges reasonable rates, and then order as many as possible from that seller.

musical.x wrote: »
    my book arrived today. well packed and in great condition!delighted!
    I ordered 2 books from Abebooks during July. One book took about 3 weeks (from the US) and the other took about 7-8 days (from the UK). I don't think that was bad at all, as both books were second hand and a bit tricky to find.

Abebooks seem to be good for 2nd hand books and books that are hard to find on other websites.

I'm happy anyway. The price was reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Treetopper

I am very disappointed in this company. I ordered a book for college weeks ago and despite numerous emails and empty promises to investigate the problem or send a replacement I have still received nothing to date. Not even a refund. I won't be recommending this company anytime soon. Never have this problem with Amazon.....

Advertisement