Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Ireland build a missile?

Options
  • 30-04-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

With the recent failure of the north Korean missile/rocket, it has made me think!

Do you think Ireland has the technology and power to make a missile and make it launch successfully?

If you exclude Our economic troubles, would it be possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Yes it would be possible. There is no technical reason it couldn't be done if enough money was thrown at it. The real difficulty would be producing the nuclear warhead to go on top of it so we can target Finland or Switzerland. It wouldn't be a good idea to target a NATO country or a nuclear armed one. So we should reserve our hostility to far away non aligned, non nuclear countries. One of those countries, if we are to believe their apologists, is Iran. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

According to the CIA fact book, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jawgap wrote: »

The rockets on that site seem a lot smaller than the ones North Korea are trying to launch. I doubt we've ever launched our own satellite, so what's the most powerful rocket we've ever successfully launched.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I suppose if we wished to go down the rocket route, offer prize money to the Private Sector/Enthusists and see what they come up with. I'm sure the US will not mind us testing off the Atlantic cost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

The rockets on that site seem a lot smaller than the ones North Korea are trying to launch. I doubt we've ever launched our own satellite, so what's the most powerful rocket we've ever successfully launched.

We certainly couldn't launch our own satellites. For one thing, it would be very hard to launch one from our latitude, but we also couldn't afford it. A single Ariane 5 launch costs upwards of €100 million, not including the payload. Soyuz costs around €80 million. If we wanted to weaponise either, we'd need to build our own launch facilities, which would cost hundreds of millions, develop terminal guidance systems, which would cost who-knows how much and then a warhead of some kind, which if nuclear, would bankrupt the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

We don't need to launch our own anything, that's what being a member of ESA means.

Walter mitty forum anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

We don't need to launch our own anything, that's what being a member of ESA means.

Walter mitty forum anyone?

+1

The short answer is yes, the related question is why would we?

According to Enterprise Ireland, we have the following space-related capabilities:

• Propulsions subsystems (regulators, valves)
    • On board Software / Independent Software Validation
    • Hi- rel thermistors
    • Passive Optical Components
    • Optics, Opto electronics
    • Advanced Composite Structures
    • Microwave components /Radiometers
    • Data acquisition and control Units

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

We don't need a nuclear warhead. We can threaten to launch Eamon O'Cuiv at them, that should scare any modern nation :eek:

May need a second rocket for his ego though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 warwick

The only guided missiles the Defence Forces have ever launched (to my knowledge) were RBS70s fired at drones on a range in Sweden.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

We can do anything but we are too competitive and that fact destroys a lot of good .Trust is lacking too but that's all .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Hmmm

If we could maybe we could buy some refined uranium then threaten the eu to write off our debts :eek::D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Maybe pipe some of this Rain out to the Gulf in exchange for Oil and Sand ?

Who needs a ballistic missile - $1.5m gets you a tactical tomahawk - fire it from Cork and it's goodnight Madrid:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Since anything u chuck is a missile, YES.
    Half a brick, a bit of concrete block...we've a huge stock of these potential missiles... Now who do we want to lob them at..and I suppose from a gost estate in Leitrim, dail erin is out of range.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Donny5 wrote: »
    We certainly couldn't launch our own satellites. For one thing, it would be very hard to launch one from our latitude, but we also couldn't afford it. A single Ariane 5 launch costs upwards of €100 million, not including the payload. Soyuz costs around €80 million. If we wanted to weaponise either, we'd need to build our own launch facilities, which would cost hundreds of millions, develop terminal guidance systems, which would cost who-knows how much and then a warhead of some kind, which if nuclear, would bankrupt the country.

Think its a bit late for that ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

The Provisional IRA had an ex employee of NASA working on a surface-to-air missile system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

warwick wrote: »
    The only guided missiles the Defence Forces have ever launched (to my knowledge) were RBS70s fired at drones on a range in Sweden.

The odd Javelin was fired in the Curragh, I do believe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Javelins are fired in ireland for AT training.
    The MILAN is a guided weapon too (the Jav replaced that).

Also google RBS 70 videos on youtube - see clips of them being fired at drogues pulled behind cessna type aircraft... we already do this with the bofors. there is no reason why in ireland we cannot fire the training shots from this weapon on the usual AA ranges - unless we have no training warheads and missiles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    Ireland could easily build the airframe of a missile, such as an air-to-air or a ground-launched missile because such airframes and their launch systems are simple enough. It's the steering and guidance technology that'd be the hardest part, but Ireland's technological level is probably good enough to design and build them. Our aerospace industry is quite good in terms of overhauling aircraft and their subsytems so that the actual work skills required to build them would be there. Even if all we did was license-build a foreign missile, I'm sure, nationally, we could evolve our own before too long.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Ireland could easily build the airframe of a missile, such as an air-to-air or a ground-launched missile because such airframes and their launch systems are simple enough. It's the steering and guidance technology that'd be the hardest part, but Ireland's technological level is probably good enough to design and build them. Our aerospace industry is quite good in terms of overhauling aircraft and their subsytems so that the actual work skills required to build them would be there. Even if all we did was license-build a foreign missile, I'm sure, nationally, we could evolve our own before too long.
    regards
    Stovepipe

If we're talking about short to medium range missiles, then, as a country, we definitely could build one. I'd be fairly confident that given a few months, Google and a few thousand Euro, I personally could probably build a short range surface to surface guided missile. Autonomous target acquisition and warheads, though, would be a different story.

Advertisement