Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Army age limit versus british army?

• 23-04-2012 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,
    Hope this hasnt been discussed here before. But I was recently checking out both the Irish army and the British army. I'm 27 years old and seriously thinking of joining.

I checked out the British army and the age limit is 33 years old. Seems reasonable. Then I checked the Irish army and its 24 years old?! :confused:

What gives?
    A person at 24 is seen to be past it or something?
    +
    Also means I have absolutely no chance or getting into the irish army under any circumstances right? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The DF can afford to be picky when it comes to recruitment due to the numbers that apply and in the recent year limited places available.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

I can tell you first hand. the irish army wont take u if ur 25+. i was down in Cork for the fitness test 3 years ago.and they just said everyone who is 25 stand up.''Sorry we dont need ye today,thanks for coming''.end of story.
    Brits will take u up to mid 30's i think. im 27 now and starting in few weeks.
    Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Same with the Police - UK Police have no stated age limits and I am aware of people in their 50's joining ( though they must pass all fitness checks like everyone else ). Gardai are 35 years I belive.
    I think it's all down to it being far more of an employers market here though it's not as if the British Army is short of applicants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

I can tell you first hand. the irish army wont take u if ur 25+. i was down in Cork for the fitness test 3 years ago.and they just said everyone who is 25 stand up.''Sorry we dont need ye today,thanks for coming''.end of story.
    Brits will take u up to mid 30's i think. im 27 now and starting in few weeks.
    Sean

32 is the upper age limit I believe.

Very few join at anything close to that age however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

bwatson wrote: »
    32 is the upper age limit I believe.

Very few join at anything close to that age however.

33 for regular army. 34 for TA, pushing up to 44 for anyone with previous service re-enlisting for some units.

Some units have more strict age thresholds, like the Paras (age 27 I think? Although not for the TA at 34), or TA-SAS who have a limit of 32 if I recall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The age limit was lowered because the DF became quite focused on lowering the age profile of it's troops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Sort of a hijack so sorry but does anyone know why there is the odd age gap for Sandhurst. They will only take new officers to 26 (IIRC) and then 29 for NCOs getting a commision. You cant go at 26-29 I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

feeney92 wrote: »
    its 26 for a new applicant who has never been in the Army before, and its 29 for NCOs who are currently serving.....id say its for current soldiers who are found to be good leaders and or have combat experience

But what about top class NCOs at 27 or 28. Its more the gap that confuses me. Ah I've just rered you post and see where the confusion has come in. Its not an upper age limit - its that from 26 - 29 you cannot go to Sandhurst. So if you are an NCO currently serving you have to WAIT UNTIL 29 before you can go (Or go befre 26 presumably)

• Advertisement
Advertisement