Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

toc2012 wrote: »
    Damian Delaney had another great game last night, very confident and controlling at full back, could he be the strong replacement we need for Dunne? He's worth a shot at least in up coming friendlies.

We have far better players, and he's 31.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

My God. How come Cox looks hard working, honest and limited for us yet scores a goal Messi would be proud of for Forest today!! Some goal! Ball dropping over his shoulder controls and lobs keeper 1 movement, unreal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

My God. How come Cox looks hard working, honest and limited for us yet scores a goal Messi would be proud of for Forest today!! Some goal! Ball dropping over his shoulder controls and lobs keeper 1 movement, unreal!!

Aye.

He is a very good player.

Just because he didn't play well on the left or against Spain doesn't really make him crap.

That's his second screamer for Forest this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Cox, like Long, is hard working, no physical weaking and a good finisher. Just needs to be played up top.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Just seen Simon Cox's goal there on the Beeb. Reminded me of a goal Dennis Berkcamp scored a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭toc2012

What has his age got to do with it? Richard Dunne is 33 this week and would walk back into our back four, and by "far better players" who are you talking about? Because the ones we are playing at the moment aren't living up to how "good" they are.

What has his age got to do with it? Richard Dunne is 33 this week and would walk back into our back four, and by "far better players" who are you talking about? Because the ones we are playing at the moment aren't living up to how "good" they are.

Delaney is a weird shout but yeah, Dunne will walk back into our team as he is our most important player.

Simple as that really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Just seen Simon Cox's goal there on the Beeb. Reminded me of a goal Dennis Berkcamp scored a few years back.
    It was better than Bergkamp's effort against Leicester in '97. Bergkamp took three touches and let the ball bounce before finishing. Cox did it all in two touches and without the ball hitting the ground.

Cox scores goals at Forest as he has a good midfield of Reid (remember him!), Adieoura and McGugan who will supply him with plenty of ball, either on the deck or to his chest.

In short Forest have passing midfielders who don't give the ball away cheaply - not that Trapattoni would know anything about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I missed the Kazakhstan game, but I think Cox has always performed very well for us and I'm not surprised that he's succeeding at Forest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

This one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Very real possibility of the Irish Daily Star shutting down.... shame, nobody does bullsh!t rumours about Irish players like them. :pac:

Well there's no point replacing someone with a player who's already past his peak, as Delaney will be when he retires.

St.Ledger, O'Shea and even O'Dea are better in the current squad, while Clark and Pearce should be introduced.

And re:Dunne of course he'd walk back in he's one of best brick walls Ireland's ever had, he stops playing when he wants, age actually doesnt come into it.

Well there's no point replacing someone with a player who's already past his peak, as Delaney will be when he retires.

St.Ledger, O'Shea and even O'Dea are better in the current squad, while Clark and Pearce should be introduced.

And re: Dunne of course he'd walk back in he's one of best brick walls Ireland's ever had, he stops playing when he wants, age actually doesnt come into it.

Who ever said he was past his peak maybe he is just at his peak? One could argue O'Shea is past his peak, otherwise Utd would have kept him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

O'Shea wanted to leave to get 1st team football.

And re: Dunne of course he'd walk back in he's one of best brick walls Ireland's ever had, he stops playing when he wants, age actually doesnt come into it.

Who ever said he was past his peak maybe he is just at his peak? One could argue O'Shea is past his peak, otherwise Utd would have kept him.
    Now maybe, but not when Dunne retires is what I was saying.

O'Shea is a presence in the team, his experience is vital for international football.

Now maybe, but not when Dunne retires is what I was saying.

O'Shea is a presence in the team, his experience is vital for international football.

Maybe but Delaneys physical presence in the defence may be beneficial, all I was asking was would it be worth using him in up coming friendlies? He played in the nations cup last year against lesser competitive teams lets see if he can make the step up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Cox's goal. That is a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Pro. F wrote: »
    Cox's goal. That is a thing of beauty.

Jeff Stelling's reaction. It may as well have been a tap in for all he cares. Different reaction if that was Rooney or someone scoring it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Hearing rumours that due to a Hungarian FA screw up, no caps were awarded for the match in Budapest before the Euros, meaning Damien Duff sits on 99 caps...

Comeback back on the cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Give him a testimonial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

tolosenc wrote: »
    Hearing rumours that due to a Hungarian FA screw up, no caps were awarded for the match in Budapest before the Euros, meaning Damien Duff sits on 99 caps...

Comeback back on the cards?

Interesting. Tho I've heard of games where one team considered it an "official game" (giving caps) and others just considered it an XI or B (giving it no caps). IIRC Ireland had such a game against W.Germany in the 70's? So if Hungary don't want to count it then it's up to them but then maybe FAI might not have to do the same.

Can't see him coming back either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Cox's goal against Wigan 3 weeks ago. Another cracker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MlqcOuJyFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

new home jersey

irlshirt2013_zps08cf0ec2.jpg

Jesus, very similar.

Even taking into consdieration we knew it would be green!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It's unreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

dont like collar with all jerseys i dont like to judge until i see them play in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

ffs the last one didnt last long.....

in saying that although i liked the last one i found the material sh1te. i trained in it one night and i just found it too heavy dont know how the lads played in it especially in hot countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

Has anyone received their season ticket in the post yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

billyhead wrote: »
    Has anyone received their season ticket in the post yet?
    Nope, not yet. Not too worried yet anyway
    Q. When will my season ticket be issued?
    A. Cards will be issues on staggered basis as follows: Purchases/Renewals Date of Issue
    Up to 31st August 2012
    Week commencing 17th September 2012
    Up to 7th September
    Week commencing 24th September 2012
    Up to 14th September
    Week commencing 1st October 2012
    Up to 21st September
    Week commencing 1st October 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Just got an update

Dear FAI Season Ticket Holder,

Thanks you for purchasing your 2012/13 FAI season ticket(s). We are currently in the process of posting the tickets to you and you should receive them in the next 7-10 working days.

Kind Regards,
    Ticketmaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Republic of Ireland squad for Germany and Faroe Islands matches.

Keiren Westwood, David Forde, Darren Randolph, Marc Wilson, John O’Shea, Sean St. Ledger, Darren O’Dea, Stephen Ward, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Glenn Whelan, James McCarthy, Keith Andrews, Keith Fahey, Seamus Coleman, Aiden McGeady, Andy Keogh, James McClean, Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Simon Cox, Jon Walters

Standby List: Richard Dunne, Robbie Brady

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

From the Irish Times:
    Manchester youngster Robbie Brady is also waiting in the wings after a hugely impressive debut against Oman earlier this month, when he scored one and played a crucial role in two of the other three Ireland scored in the Craven Cottage friendly.

"I didn't speak to him," said teh Italian. "I spoke to him after the match and I congratulated him because I liked him a lot but we have players with more experience. We can play (Keith) Fahey or (Glenn) Whelan."

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0926/1224324453769.html

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Another truly depressing squad. I suspect this will be the team for Germany.

Westwood
    Ward
    St Ledger
    O' Dea
    O' Shea
    McGeady
    Whelan
    Andrews
    Cox
    Keane
    Doyle

We are going to get pulverized.

Republic of Ireland squad for Germany and Faroe Islands matches.

Keiren Westwood, David Forde, Darren Randolph, Marc Wilson, John O’Shea, Sean St. Ledger, Darren O’Dea, Stephen Ward, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Glenn Whelan, James McCarthy, Keith Andrews, Keith Fahey, Seamus Coleman, Aiden McGeady, Andy Keogh, James McClean, Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Simon Cox, Jon Walters

Standby List: Richard Dunne, Robbie Brady

mc clean is right it is a fvckin joke brady and meyler done well in the last game and he still includes the likes of keogh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I think Trap is pulling a Charlton and sticking with the same players year after year purely because he had no interest in the teams fortunes beyond his own stewardship.

The attitude of these dinosaurs is "Let the next manager pick up the pieces of the trainwreck and give the younger players a chance". McCarthy was that man last time and I hope he will be again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Well we can see from that squad it is the same old same old from Trapattoni. Andy Keogh stays in Robbie Brady no can do. Never mind David Meyler who also showed very well for me in the Oman game.

I hope we can at least be able to put in a decent showing against Germany. But sadly I think we could be in for one of our worst ever days at home in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

I would go with:

Westwood
    Wilson (lb)
    O' Shea
    O' Dea
    Coleman/Kelly (rb)
    McClean (LM)
    McCarthy
    Andrews
    McGeady (RM)
    Cox (Attacking MF)
    Doyle/Long

Alternate:

Westwood
    Wilson (lb)
    O' Shea
    O' Dea
    Coleman/Kelly (rb)
    McClean (LM)
    McCarthy
    Andrews
    McGeady (RM)
    Doyle
    Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Another truly depressing squad. I suspect this will be the team for Germany.

Westwood
    Ward
    St Ledger
    O' Dea
    O' Shea
    McGeady
    Whelan
    Andrews
    Cox
    Keane
    Doyle

We are going to get pulverized.

Sadly I reckon that will be team too, although there is talk that keogh might get the "lets play a championship fwd on right wing" spot ahead of Cox.

Depressing, can only see a loss in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Patser

Really surprised that Ciaran Clarke at Villa didn't get any sort of call up, even on standby list. He's playing regularly in the Premiership and can't get in the squad ahead of the likes of McShane?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Patser wrote: »
    Really surprised that Ciaran Clarke at Villa didn't get any sort of call up, even on standby list. He's playing regularly in the Premiership and can't get in the squad ahead of the likes of McShane?:confused:

Its madness at this stage. McShane can't even get into the Hull side, he's been sitting on their bench all season. Clark has been playing PL football, as has Pearce at Reading.
    With Trap tho, it's no surprise. Picking players in form, or using any kind of logic are not his thing it seems.

• Advertisement

out of the squad hes picked id like to see...

westwood
    coleman o shea o dea wilson

mc geady mc carthy fahey mc clean

doyle long

but even at that theres one or two in there i wouldnt be overly impressed by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Stevecw wrote: »
    Its madness at this stage. McShane can't even get into the Hull side, he's been sitting on their bench all season. Clark has been playing PL football, as has Pearce at Reading.
    With Trap tho, it's no surprise. Picking players in form, or using any kind of logic are not his thing it seems.

What difference does it make who an unused sub is?

I agree trap is stubborn about his selection but we at talking about finge players here, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭wonga77

They may be fringe players but why not bring the best fringe players available to him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

gosplan wrote: »
    What difference does it make who an unused sub is?

I agree trap is stubborn about his selection but we at talking about finge players here, no?

The fringe players train with the squad and blend in. If their is an injury the fringe player gets called up. 2-3 years down the line I dont want our best players to be getting used to the set up I want them to know it inside out, so I do think it makes a difference.

No surprises in the squad. Stopped getting my hopes up for a change after the Kzach game. We have our usual 6 strikers in the squad.....oh sorry, Cox is a winger....5.... Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

wonga77 wrote: »
    They may be fringe players but why not bring the best fringe players available to him...

Loyalty, squad harmony, something like that. Not saying I agree with him and can't judge it as too many variables but what are the upsides vrs the downsides of bringing, say, Brady in for Keogh, if neither of them are going to play anyway.

bren2001 wrote: »
    We have our usual 6 strikers in the squad.....oh sorry, Cox is a winger....5.... Nonsense.

What is nonsense exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

out of the squad hes picked id like to see...

westwood
    coleman o shea o dea wilson

mc geady mc carthy fahey mc clean

doyle long

but even at that theres one or two in there i wouldnt be overly impressed by
    St. Ledger for O'Dea
    Whelan for fahey.
    I would be happy with that XI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

gosplan wrote: »
    Loyalty, squad harmony, something like that. Not saying I agree with him and can't judge it as too many variables but what are the upsides vrs the downsides of bringing, say, Brady in for Keogh, if neither of them are going to play anyway.

Playing or not, Keogh will be lucky to ever get selected for Ireland again once Trap is gone. Should Brady live up to his potential, he'll be around for a long time.

Also, Brady's obvious ability to hit a dead ball is justification enough to have him in ahead of Keogh. Especially when you consider this will probably be our starting 11 against Germany:

Westwood
    Ward
    St Ledger
    O' Dea
    O' Shea
    McGeady
    Whelan
    Andrews
    Cox
    Keane
    Doyle

Who here exactly can hit a dead ball around the final third that would consistently trouble teams? Worrying times, considering we're a team who get their goals from set pieces.

We need to play 3 midfielders. Drop keane. Long up front on his own. Cox on the wing (not that I want that). And if we play Andrews and Whelan in midfield, I'd start Fahey ahead of McCarthy, purely from a set piece point of view.

I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves on Brady to be honest.

Trap will feel justified in not starting Walters and even McCarthy after their repsctive displays in Kazakhstan. This is a game I'd almost like to see Walters and Doyle and batter the Germans aerially.

This is a game we likely wouldn't win no matter who was in charge. Loads of other outstanding international teams but the Germans have the mentality and consistency to just not have off-days.

Saying that, I think I'd like to see a three man midfield as well. I just don't want us out of the game after 20 minutes like were against Croatia and Spain.

After that, we have so many options of the bench (strikers and out wide) that we can bring them in gradually.

One thing I really want though is an atmosphere for the game. I really want us to make it intimidating - not just loud. Really looking forward to it despite the likely disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

noodler wrote: »
    What is nonsense exactly?

Having 6 strikers in the squad and/or playing Cox as a winger when we have better players.

I agree with you on Brady, he had one good performance against Oman. Saw a bit of him on the South Africa leg of the United tour, looked ok. Would like to see him in the squad tho but he shouldnt make it onto the pitch any time soon. Needs plenty of game time and he wont be getting that at Utd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement