Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash cloud on its way back

Options

Comments

If the skies are closed that means that my rescheduled flights from 2 weeks abck will ahve to be rescheduled again. Damn valcano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Lifelike wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me, since when did the volcano start spewing ash again? I thought it had stopped :mad: :mad: :mad:

It was the whole time, just not as much, lower and the wind was in a different direction. Now there is a lot of ash, higher up ( up to 20,000 feet) and the winds are blowing it towards us and scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Look the solution to this ash cloud is simple.
    Run those wind farms in reverse and blow the ash back to the Icelanders.

Do I have to think of everything for you people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭rolly1

Don't know what the story with that is but could she not get a night ferry and bus to london???

Thanks thetonynator but she has a lot of luggage etc. and the flight journey duration is something like 22 hrs, too much travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

MaighEoAbu wrote: »
    Yey!!!!!!!!

Why??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kizza

my whole family are abroad right now, so concerned.
    They say flights grounded because of the shift in wind, but its the same all week , so duno how long this will last

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Ah well..... here we go again! :rolleyes:

But seriously, I saw no volcanic ash last time, even though at some points, it was supposed to have covered all of freaking Ireland!

Er, what? Do you think they're making it up for fun? The ash reached as far as Kazakhstan last time. Of course you wouldn't see it, it is way too high up, it starts at around 20,000 feet so it's not a health hazard or anything either.

It's probably not going to affect planes that are travelling over Ireland because they would be travelling over it, but planes from Ireland can't reach that altitude without going through the ash so that's why they're being closed. Even though it's a bitch that flights are being cancelled, I would prefer that to being in a plane when the engine fails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Met Eireann are predicting more or less northerly winds with little or no precipitation. North easterly winds from Thursday should help clear this away but I think the winds are north again on Sat/Sun - thats at the limit of predictability so while there is a good chance the skies might be clear on Thursday/Friday there might be intermittent problems in the coming days.

Flying out on Thurs myself so very disappointing, like many I am not rich - being laid off at end of June but had booked this 3 months before I knew about that happening so a bit upsetting. Still, I checked with my hotel and airline and both are giving full refunds if my flight is cancelled so I can live with it.

Worth watching the Icelandic met service website for latest updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Seriously...this has put such a downer on my week!! My parents are supposed to be going away on saturday leaving me with the house to myself for the week and i had plans!! Very sexy plans :( Damn you iceland!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

i hope to any god out there that this clears up long enough fro me to go on my honeymoon.

Any one heard how long it may last?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

chevron wrote: »
    i hope to any god out there that this clears up long enough fro me to go on my honeymoon.

Any one heard how long it may last?
    8 years

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

8 years

yea thats a good as guess as any i suppose lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

argg this is head wrecking. the news and the belfast airport website tell me to check with my airline. my airline (thomas cook) have nothing new on thier website. should have been flying out at 815.

ryanair website advises not to travel to airport. dont know if i should show up at the normal checkin time or not. can thomas cook refuse to refund if i dont show? large family traveling and dont want to have to drive to belfast if i dont have to.

:(

soups05 wrote: »
    argg this is head wrecking. the news and the belfast airport website tell me to check with my airline. my airline (thomas cook) have nothing new on thier website. should have been flying out at 815.

ryanair website advises not to travel to airport. dont know if i should show up at the normal checkin time or not. can thomas cook refuse to refund if i dont show? large family traveling and dont want to have to drive to belfast if i dont have to.

:(
    Well Irish airspace will be closed from 7am, I assumes this includes Belfast.

true, but if i fail to check in, even though the flight wont leave,will that allow thomas cook to say i did not show up so no refund?

If the airspace is closed they're not going to let you check in anyway.

in that case i can sit at home and drown my sorrows. for now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty much. If it's like the previous eruptions we could be looking at 2 or 3 years of disrupted flights over Europe with airports closing depending on which way the ash is blowing.

Right. First thing tomorrow I'm ringing USIT and seeing what the HELL the story is if that volcano f**ks up my J1 visa :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Any one who hasn't checked in yet and has had their flight cancelled should get a refund of the flight....as far as I know. Annoying but keep all your receipts and then you can claim then too!! Might be long process though to get your money back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

****sake..checked in on flights already due to leave wed morning at 8:15....some fúcking hope of that now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

guys

Any update of this, supposed to flying to tenerife this morning, current status of aerlingus flight is that it is still scheduled.

Cant believe this is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

What we need is some kind of Hero!

Auld Joe Duffy will come to our rescue, calling all truck drivers coming
    back from Europe for thoses stranded once again.

Maybe take out Volcano insurance too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Fcuk it......
    My 2 teenage sons are meant to be flying to Belgium for a school rowing competition on Friday, god knows whether this will allow them or not!!!

Awful annoying but sure, what can ya do???:(

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Feckin balls... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

planes are back on at 1pm ,weather will determine future flights after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

woohooo

Have been waiting all night for this news,

Just announced on radio.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

God damn it. Are Pavement in the country yet?

If this ash cloud ruins another gig for me I'm going to go to Iceland myself and there'll be words between me and this volcano. Words I tells ya!

Good luck trying to pronounce them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Look the solution to this ash cloud is simple.
    Run those wind farms in reverse and blow the ash back to the Icelanders.

Do I have to think of everything for you people ?
    SugarHigh wrote: »

Actually... some generators CAN work as motors.
    The construction of a generator and a motor are very similar.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

if this thing keeps causing problems for months to come do you think workplaces could start telling people not to travel?? as in you know theres a risk you may not make it back in time for work, therefore you shouldnt go in the first place?? it has to be costing big companies a lot of manhours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

df1985 wrote: »
    if this thing keeps causing problems for months to come do you think workplaces could start telling people not to travel?? as in you know theres a risk you may not make it back in time for work, therefore you shouldnt go in the first place?? it has to be costing big companies a lot of manhours.

Working trips may take longer... but there's still boats...

Advertisement