Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothes Bank Theft

• 04-05-2010 5:48pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just watching TV3 and a piece relating to St. Vincent de Paul and how they have been fleeced, excuse the pun, by some one could be considered total muppets on occasion. They would rob the clothing bank bins by putting children into them so they could hand the clothes back out, but the scam was discovered when, in some cases, the fire brigade had to be called to cut the child out of the bins.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Well, what do you expect in a country where the moral fabric of society is absent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

djhunter30 wrote: »
    Just watching TV3 and a piece relating to St. Vincent de Paul and how they have been fleeced, excuse the pun, by some one could be considered total muppets on occasion. They would rob the clothing bank bins by putting children into them so they could hand the clothes back out, but the scam was discovered when, in some cases, the fire brigade had to be called to cut the child out of the bins.

That has happened where I live to the point that they had to get rid of the banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Miaireland wrote: »
    That has happened where I live to the point that they had to get rid of the banks.

You can't blame the banks for everything
    !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

That's shocking!

Now on a completely unrelated note:
    Want to Sell 300 pairs of used XL tights, slighty soiled.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Sounds like a clothes for children campaign in all honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

Used to happen at Bayside shops till thet got rid of the cloths bins altogether.
    I saw it being done a few times. It was Romanian Gypsies every time BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Some people would rob the shirt off your back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

'I' before 'E' except after 'C'

Good man.

Drop the 'I'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Used to happen at Bayside shops till thet got rid of the cloths bins altogether.
    I saw it being done a few times. It was Romanian Gypsies every time BTW.

First it was money for babies, now it's babies for clothes!

Make that title 'Theft' DJ.

can't have you looking like a twat.

• Advertisement

Sorted, but thats your opinion I'm sure. Anyhow, I thought the Russians were bad, but the Romanians, they'll try anything once!

Atta boy, can't have the TD looking bad in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This is why I burn my old clothes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Technically it's not theft apparently because they've just been left in the clothes bank.

Or so I hear from my solicitor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

djhunter30 wrote: »
    Seen this happen myself a number of times.
    One place that I lived at had those clothing bins across the road positioned in a car park.
    One example. a couple of lads backed their car up one night to one of the bins, opened their boot and let a child (from their back seat) climb into one of the bins.
    He started chucking things out, they threw them in their opened boot and eventually sped off.
    Took the reg number and rang it in but never heard anything more.

Hmmm.....taking something that is not yours....hmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Where is the Citizen when we need him??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gangs-using-children-to-ransack-charity-clothes-bins-1441713.html

Sunday July 27 2008
    Does anyone have any newer links?

Young children are being stuffed into clothes banks by ruthless gangs who clean them out and sell the clothes on the international market.

Children as young as eight are being used by the thieves to steal bags of clothes from charity collection banks in a very lucrative scheme that can earn them huge sums abroad.

On an almost daily basis, drivers from Enable Ireland arrive at clothes recycling banks to find the containers emptied and damaged, causing huge financial loss for the charity.

While some clothing banks are forcibly wrenched open, there is evidence that thieves are using young children to climb into the banks to steal the bags of clothes, running the risk of trapping them inside.

Enable Ireland employed an investigation company, Lodge Services, to monitor the clothes banks in the early hours of the morning in sites around Dublin that have been systematically targeted by thieves.

In one case, the surveillance team witnessed two men in their early 30s wrap a boy of about eight years in a duvet and lower him into a recycling bank. The child then passed the bags of clothes out to the men, who pulled him back out again after the bank had been cleaned out.

The surveillance report concluded that "a large and extensive surveillance operation" would be needed to continue the operation as the thieves quickly left the scene and were generally lost in traffic on completing the raid.

It is believed that the clothes are taken to the docklands, where they are exported, possibly to overseas recycling centres, where they can be cleaned up and sold on. According to Ann Kelly, Retail Operations Manager in Enable Ireland, the charity has lost about 72 tonnes of clothing donations so far this year with a minimum value of €40,000. A further €40,000 is being spent on repairing damaged containers, she said.

"The drivers notify the gardai of the thefts, but there is little that can be done to trace the thieves," Ms Kelly said.

"Enable Ireland is working on changing the design of the banks to make them tamper proof, such as reinforcing the bank or making the chute smaller, but we would ask people to bring their donations into their local charity shops, directly, if possible."

There is now intense competition in collecting old clothes, and while some collections are legitimate, others are organised by bogus gangs.

Two rival gangs pulled knives on each other in one confrontation in the south Dublin suburb of Blackrock some time ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

biko wrote: »
    http://www.goreyguardian.ie/premium/news/charity-clothing-scandal-1987322.html
    Wednesday December 23 2009
    A GOREY-BASED charity has told how young children are being lifted into their collection bins in the North Wexford area to steal the bags of clothes that have been donated for recycling.
    You have to login to see the rest.

English version: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lincolnshire/8401076.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

People leave old clothes for poor people.
    Poor Romanians steal the clothes.
    I don't see the problem.

I kid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Abrasax wrote: »
    People leave old clothes for poor people.
    Poor Romanians steal the clothes.
    I don't see the problem.

I kid

They are NOT POOR. These people are running massive scams. They're the same gangs who leave the "clothing donation for charity" bags at your doorstep during the night (so they won't be seen or apprehended).

I've seen this a lot in Drogheda. I've called the Guards about it twice but of course by the time they arrive the gypsies are gone. And apparently these guys are armed, too. Read about several cases in Dublin where the council have tried to apprehend gypsies taking the clothing people have left in the bags for them, they've pulled knives on the council officers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

A local woman does it here all the time. She's far from poor either, just likes something for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Didnt this happen a while ago where a child was inserted into
    an Amusement Arcade machine, the big teddy bear grab type one and
    robbed all teddies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If people threw a cat or a few live rats into these clothes bank deposits the problem of theft would soon stop. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

eth0_ wrote: »
    They are NOT POOR. These people are running massive scams. They're the same gangs who leave the "clothing donation for charity" bags at your doorstep during the night (so they won't be seen or apprehended).

I've seen this a lot in Drogheda. I've called the Guards about it twice but of course by the time they arrive the gypsies are gone. And apparently these guys are armed, too. Read about several cases in Dublin where the council have tried to apprehend gypsies taking the clothing people have left in the bags for them, they've pulled knives on the council officers.

there was a fight between two gypsie gangs in Artane last week over this, one of them got shot lol

Advertisement