Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 Years of Indo Radio

Options
  • 16-07-2014 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independentradio25years.ie

The IBI (the Independent Radio sector's lobby group) launch 25 years of Independent Radio.

How many radio stations have their own ownership and are not part of a bigger corporation today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mondo 088

90% of irish radio is controlled by either RTE or Denis o'brien

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Well there's a very inaccurate statement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Well there's a very inaccurate statement!!

largely, Communicorp owns a major portion of the Irish Independent Radio Sector, followed by UTV Radio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Elmo wrote: »
    largely, Communicorp owns a major portion of the Irish Independent Radio Sector, followed by UTV Radio.

Today
    Newstalk
    Spin
    Spin SW
    TXfm

That's not 90% or anyway near it.

Today
    Newstalk
    Spin
    Spin SW
    TXfm

That's not 90% or anyway near it.

He did mention RTÉ in the same sentence.

2 National - Communicorp
    1 Multicity - 4FM (Choice Broadcasting)
    4 Regional - 1 Communicorp (South West)
    28 local radio stations
    - 3 Communicorp (All Dublin)
    - 6 UTV Radio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Dreadful website.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭smallfridge

Doesn't Radio Kerry own 3 stations and Clare fm 1 or 2 as well?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

River Media has 2 + large NI ops, Midlands now run the stump of the Tindle group from Mullingar also

• Registered Users Posts: 4 radioman1

After 25 years of Independent Broadcasting is that website the best they could do it has to be the worst I have ever seen independentradio25years.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Expunge

They don't seem to mention the sheer awfulness of much (not all) of independent local radio's output.
    Barley understandable DJs who make Smashey and Nicey seem like the Dimblebys, woeful music, some of the worst copywriting on ads you'll hear in the English speaking world.
    That and the relentless driving down of terms and conditions for those working in the sector.
    And then these pr**ks have the neck to look for money from the taxpayer to help run a commercial franchise they competed heavily to win or buy out.

Shower of cowboys - most of em.

None of this absolves RTE Radio for frequently being wasteful and just crap using public money.

All that said, independent radio accounts for 57% of all listening, so what do I know?

• Advertisement

Expunge wrote: »
    All that said, independent radio accounts for 57% of all listening, so what do I know?

Like with TV people will go to local service purely for news that relates to them, it then helps other programmes for audiences.

Really they need competition. Hows about RTÉ launch regional versions of RTÉ Radio 1 and RTÉ ONE? or even better regional radio stations? But even giving them competition from another local/regional broadcaster.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hows about RTÉ launch regional versions of RTÉ Radio 1 and RTÉ ONE?

Tried. Gave up.

RTE Radio Cork and regionalised RTE1 TV (for Nationwide only, pretty much).

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Barley understandable DJs who make Smashey and Nicey seem like the Dimblebys, woeful music, some of the worst copywriting on ads you'll hear in the English speaking world.
    On the other hand some programmes/presenters on local radio can be vastly superior to 2FM without all the resouces and "expertise" that station has to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Expunge

Really they need competition. Hows about RTÉ launch regional versions of RTÉ Radio 1 and RTÉ ONE? or even better regional radio stations? But even giving them competition from another local/regional broadcaster.

That's a good point, Elmo.
    If I want to start a local newspaper in Clare or Tipperary or Laois in the morning, I could. It might be a very foolish thing to do, but I could. As long as I respect the laws of libel and pay tax, I could do it.

Despite there probably being FM spectrum available in these counties, I will not be allowed open a full service commercial radio station on the same terms and conditions as the ones already operating in these counties.

Despite the presence of regional youth music services, they effectively have a monopoly in their respective counties.
    And now they want public money to help run a private enterprise?

The radio owners didn't mind agreeing to the conditions of the franchises when they signed on the dotted line. Now, they need a bail out for the unprofitable bits.
    Minister Alex White needs to tell them to go f**k themselves.

MYOB wrote: »
    Tried. Gave up.

Really only fobs to regionalisation.

If the government (any government) turned around and said RTÉ had to provide local TV and Radio during peak hours the IBI and INN would be up in arms.

RTÉ ONE MUNSTER: Allowed sell local advertising into the Munster market

Though if the BAI proposed TV3 Munster they would not be happy but would have to keep quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

MYOB wrote: »
    Tried. Gave up.

But wasn't RTE Cork (opt out) pre independent local radio legislation?

The technology has been around for years to offer regional ad breaks. Presume that this was never implemented to avoid upsetting the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

http://www.independentradio25years.ie

The IBI (the Independent Radio sector's lobby group) launch 25 years of Independent Radio.

How many radio stations have their own ownership and are not part of a bigger corporation today?

That website is pretty bad. Was it even tested before launch?

The scroll feature is broken and nothing else doing on iPad.

Somebody's friend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

That's a good point, Elmo.
    If I want to start a local newspaper in Clare or Tipperary or Laois in the morning, I could. It might be a very foolish thing to do, but I could. As long as I respect the laws of libel and pay tax, I could do it.

Despite there probably being FM spectrum available in these counties, I will not be allowed open a full service commercial radio station on the same terms and conditions as the ones already operating in these counties.

Despite the presence of regional youth music services, they effectively have a monopoly in their respective counties.
    And now they want public money to help run a private enterprise?

The radio owners didn't mind agreeing to the conditions of the franchises when they signed on the dotted line. Now, they need a bail out for the unprofitable bits.
    Minister Alex White needs to tell them to go f**k themselves.

I agree with this entirely, and I'd be a supporter of Commercial Radio in General. It never fails to amaze me how commercial stations get licenses in this country knowing full well the terms of the licence and then try to change the rules as soon as they're up and running.

Really only fobs to regionalisation.

If the government (any government) turned around and said RTÉ had to provide local TV and Radio during peak hours the IBI and INN would be up in arms.

RTÉ ONE MUNSTER: Allowed sell local advertising into the Munster market

Though if the BAI proposed TV3 Munster they would not be happy but would have to keep quiet.

To be fair RTE Radio Cork was actually a decent enough station but it was hampered by having A weak FM signal which only really covered Cork City and an AM signal that became weaker as the years went on. Add to that the fact that they could only broadcast for 5 hours a day and you can see why they closed the station.

If they had been given a free hand it's quite likely both RTE Radio Cork, and 96/103fm would have prospered.

RTE do offer regional rate cards or they did so up to recently. If you had a local business you could advertise nationally but pay a vastly reduced rate. That may have stopped in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Mid West Radio is 25 years old today Thursday (post pirate obviously!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Mid West Radio is 25 years old today Thursday (post pirate obviously!!)

Should have been the first station on air, alas the powers that be wanted a Dublin station to be the first on.....link frequencies were with held...

• Advertisement
Advertisement