Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Android tablet on the market?

Options
  • 22-09-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

What's the best Android tablet on the market right now? Size and price dont matter. I'm looking for the one with the most power, features and well built/nice design. Is it the Nexus 7 or something from Samsung?

My g/f wants me to get an iPad but I'm curious about Android (never owned one before).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Also, how does Sony's offerings fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The Asus Transformer Infinity is probably the best. I've never used a Sony, but they don't have much of a reputation for good tablets.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Probably a toss up between the Asus Infinity and the Acer A700. The only drawback with the Infinity is the lousy speaker placement. The Infinity has super IPS, on the other hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

Absolutely NOT the A700 don't go near that thing. It overheats, is sluggish and has a cheap build.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 or the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 depending on whether you want a HD screen with an optional keyboard dock or a lower res screen with Samsung's S-Pen to take hand written notes.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

would it be worth hanging on for the Surface or will the fact that its apps market not make it worth a look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Skerries wrote: »
    would it be worth hanging on for the Surface or will the fact that its apps market not make it worth a look?
    Would you buy a Windows phone? Then you're likely part of their target market group. Personally, I'd buy the product that suits your needs now. In two years time if the surface is a successful product, consider upgrading to the latest revision.

The most important thing is to have the key apps... skype, maps etc.

It looks like Microsoft will ensure that these are available on launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Do you own a smartphone? I think if you are used to an iPhone and well tied into Apple's eco system then an iPad is the way to go. Same applies to Google and android. That said I have a HTC and an iPad and I manage just fine! Do you have a preference for either UI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Nexus 7 = best bang for your buck (€240 from HMV) but there is a 3g version rumoured to be coming out soon. You might want to wait a few weeks though as the iPad Mini may be announced shortly: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/01/ipad_mini_announcement_date/

I cant speak for the other pricier pads as I cant justify spending over €250 on one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'm looking for the best non Apple tablet but I'd prefer Android as I'm used to that now
    I could hold on till Christmas to see if there is anything better coming out before then
    from what I'm looking at currently the Galaxy Tab2 10.1 or the Asus Infinity are the best?

• Advertisement

Infinity just got updated to Jellybean today. I would go for the Asus over the Samsung. When I was looking, the Samsung's were very laggy in comparison - in everyday use, even on stuff as mundane as moving between screens

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Infinity just got updated to Jellybean today. I would go for the Asus over the Samsung. When I was looking, the Samsung's were very laggy in comparison - in everyday use, even on stuff as mundane as moving between screens

The default launcher is awfully laggy but I found it zipped along fine with Apex

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

After much research I went for the infinity with the keyboard dock. No other android tab can equal its flexibility and spec.IMO. My other half has the iFad 3 and although its a " beautiful" tab the infinity kicks it's arse in overall comparison. Where this and all android tabs fall short is the OS. It's certainly not as fluid but since jelly bean and project butter it's getting close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

jonny_b1 wrote: »
    After much research I went for the infinity with the keyboard dock. No other android tab can equal its flexibility and spec.IMO. My other half has the iFad 3 and although its a " beautiful" tab the infinity kicks it's arse in overall comparison. Where this and all android tabs fall short is the OS. It's certainly not as fluid but since jelly bean and project butter it's getting close.

Where'd you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

[Quote=Zagato;81137002

Where'd you get it?[/Quote]

Komplett.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

from what I'm looking at currently the Galaxy Tab2 10.1 or the Asus Infinity are the best?

Be careful you don't mix up the Samsung tabs. Tab2 10.1 is NOT the same as the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. The Note 10.1 is the newer offering from Samsung that definitely outshines the Tab2.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seawoman

For my long research best option is Onda Tablets (If You don't want pay for brand name).
    The most important for me is screen and resolution, onda has RETINA and hight res: 2048*1536
    Is much cheaper that high selling brands and have better performance

example:

Onda V973 Quad Core 9.7 Inch Ultra-thin Android Tablet PC Dual Camera 16GB White

Onda V973 White Features:
    CPU: A31 Quad Core
    GPU: 8 Core Power VR SGX544
    RAM 2GB,DDR3 1MB L2 Cache
    Storage 16GB
    Screen: 10 points Retina Capacitive Touchscreen, 2048*1536 High-resolution Screen
    Size: 9.7 inch
    Display: Retina
    Resolution: 2048*1536 resolution
    Gravity Sensor: Yes
    Visible Angle: 178°
    Camera Daul Camera OV Camera,Front 2.0 Megapixels,Back 5.0 Megapixels Auto Foucus
    Video: 4K HD Videp Play with formats of MP4/3GP/3G2/RM/RMVB/ASF/FLAC/APE/MOV etc.
    Onda V973 White Details:
    Extend Card Support TF card up to 32GB extended
    OTG: Support
    WIFI Dispaly: Support
    WIFI Direct: Support
    Gravity Sensor Yes
    Android Market Yes
    Skype Yes
    Multi-Touch Yes, 10 points touch
    Email and Browser: Yes, built in
    WIFI: 802.11b/g/n
    Earphone Interface 3.5mm
    Music MP3/WMA/FLAC/APE/WAV/RA/Ogg/MIDI/3GP etc.
    Ebook UMD, TXT, PDF, HTML, RTF, FB2…
    Work Time: Up to 8~10 hours
    Battery : Li-Poly 8500mAh
    Weight: 597g
    Size: 242*187.5*8.5mm

Price: $239.90

so arround 184,85 EUR (+shipment of course and maybe vat)
    http://www.onda-tablet.com/onda-v973-quad-core-9-7-inch-ultra-thin-android-tablet-pc-dual-camera-16gb-white.html

Advertisement