Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rooting desire help

Options
  • 05-07-2010 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi guys trying to root as per the guide over on XDA on a mac the desire is unbranded. but i'm stuck as below left it for a few mins and nothing changes anyone any idea what im doing wrong

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

Password:
    sudo: ./fastboot-mac: command not found

About to start flash...

Rebooting to bootloader...

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys and power button to select the RECOVERY option.
    *****-********-macbook-pro:~ ****$ /Users/****/Downloads/r5-desire-root-alt/step2-mac.sh
    Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

sudo: ./adb-mac: command not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

*****-*******-macbook-pro:~ *****$ sudo: ./adb-mac: command not found

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Try the Modaco Root method, he originally rooted it, and I used his windows method, but he also supports Mac and linux..

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307365/14-jun-r6-riskfreeroot-htc-desire-rooting-guide-now-with-hboot-0-80-and-os-to-1-21-support/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

By the look of it your missing the fastboot and adb applications in your rooting package. Best bet is to re-extract the package and start again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 EHB

By the look of it your missing the fastboot and adb applications in your rooting package. Best bet is to re-extract the package and start again.

I can see them in the folder but I'll try again. Then try modaco if it still doesn't work.

It may be a simple permissions issue. I haven't much hands on experience with Mac OS but I do have some with Linux. Check the permissions of both files (If you can't do that in the GUI then open a terminal window and type in chmod 777 adb-mac and chmod 777 adb-fastboot.

It may be a simple permissions issue. I haven't much hands on experience with Mac OS but I do have some with Linux. Check the permissions of both files (If you can't do that in the GUI then open a terminal window and type in chmod 777 adb-mac and chmod 777 adb-fastboot.

Ive given them full permissions no luck though. where it says

Should I change sudo: ./fastboot-mac to the exact location

• Advertisement

EHB wrote: »
    Ive given them full permissions no luck though. where it says

Should I change sudo: ./fastboot-mac to the exact location
    You shouldn't need to but its worth a shot.

You shouldn't need to but its worth a shot.

Didn't work tried Modaco method but same problem not seeing the files in the folder

Didn't work tried Modaco method but same problem not seeing the files in the folder

If I was doing this in windows, I need to navigate in my cmd prompt to the folder I extracted the files then run them.

e.g. if the files were here

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\

I would

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\>c:

C:\>cd C:\Documents and Settings

C:\Documents and Settings>cd all users

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>cd desktop

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop>step1-windows.bat

If I was to run it without doing that I would get:

C:\>step1-windows.bat

'step1-windows.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

I know nowt about macs so please forgive me if this is no help!

Inquitus wrote: »
    If I was doing this in windows, I need to navigate in my cmd prompt to the folder I extracted the files then run them.

e.g. if the files were here

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\

I would

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\>c:

C:\>cd C:\Documents and Settings

C:\Documents and Settings>cd all users

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>cd desktop

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop>step1-windows.bat

If I was to run it without doing that I would get:

C:\>step1-windows.bat

'step1-windows.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

I know nowt about macs so please forgive me if this is no help!

Tried it didn't work thanks anyway. Has anyone tried it on a mac.

Hi guys,

Right, I decided to do it on a friends PC instead step one worked fine. Then I went into recovery mode and entered step2-windows.bat and got the following from command prompt:

pushing required files to the device....

error:protocol fault <no status>
    *daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037*
    *daemon started sucessfully
    -exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory <2>

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes....

1217kb/s <126445058 bytes in 101.406s>

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu

I then wiped and I tried to apply update zip the phone said something along the lines of not being able to find it

So my questions are:
    If step 1 worked have I rooted how do I confirm this?
    Did step 2 work? If not what does it do and how do I get it to work?

• Advertisement

I'd skip Step 2 for now.

Boot back in to the phone and download ROM manager from the market and then flash Clockwork recovery.

Then restart your phone and get in to recovery mode by holding down the volume down button on your phone as it boots. Once you get to the HBOOT menu, push volume down to get to recovery and then push the power button to select. After you reach the recovery screen (Red exclamation mark) you push Volume up and power and then you'll reach the stock recovery menu. Choose Apply update:update.zip. If Step 1 had been a success you should reach the custom recovery where you can flash on any ROM that you'd like. If it was not a success then it will fail to get to the custom recovery menu.

I'd skip Step 2 for now.

Boot back in to the phone and download ROM manager from the market and then flash Clockwork recovery.

Then restart your phone and get in to recovery mode by holding down the volume down button on your phone as it boots. Once you get to the HBOOT menu, push volume down to get to recovery and then push the power button to select. After you reach the recovery screen (Red exclamation mark) you push Volume up and power and then you'll reach the stock recovery menu. Choose Apply update:update.zip. If Step 1 had been a success you should reach the custom recovery where you can flash on any ROM that you'd like. If it was not a success then it will fail to get to the custom recovery menu.

When I apply update:update.zip I get
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
    --Install from sdcard....
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package....
    E:failed to open / sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted

and the menu i'm in is andriod system recovery. I suppose this means it didn't work. If so should I start again any idea whats wrong?

When I apply update:update.zip I get
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
    --Install from sdcard....
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package....
    E:failed to open / sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted

and the menu i'm in is andriod system recovery. I suppose this means it didn't work. If so should I start again any idea whats wrong?
    Didn't work. Step 1 failed by the sounds of it.

Best bet is to start again. Download the latest rooting package and follow it to the letter.

I got it working second time on PC didn't do anything different this time. Is there anything else I should do, I read something about fake flash, before I try to load a diff ROM. Also what ROM's do people advise trying?

I got it working second time on PC didn't do anything different this time. Is there anything else I should do, I read something about fake flash, before I try to load a diff ROM. Also what ROM's do people advise trying?

I've tried a bunch and favour this one atm

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=712615

Once you have root, go to the android market and install ROM Manager. This enables you to flash ROMs from the app.

Is there anyway to get some of the stock HTC apps and widgets specifically calendar/favorites and especially the browser when you have a ROM without them.

Advertisement