Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth of the Federation (PC Game)

Options
  • 17-05-2003 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Anyone here played this? Flawed gem in my opinion, if a sequel came out I'd be very excited about it.

A few things that pissed me off about it were the bugs, crashes, and the fact that the Romulans were so powerful on account of their cloak. Roll on BOTF 2...

I like playing as the Cardassians. Subjugate planets at will, nice looking interface and good music, not to mention the lethally proficient Obsidian Order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Brings back alot of memories that game. Spent a whole summer plating it on and off. Played and finished it with every faction.

Was a fan of the Klingons meself. Pure war basically, and it made your people happy :)

The best game i had was where the Borg attacked. I was the federation and was allied with the Klingons and cardassians(dont ask me how that happened). Territory was back and forth for days. Lost smeg loads of ships and alot of planets. Fortunately the main gaff they attacked was cardassian territory :). I eventually won but that was because we had 3/4 of the galaxy not cause we beat them. Only ever happened once(the borg i mean, i was always hoping theyd attack every game after that)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Ah yeah, games of that can amount to great storytelling afterwards :)

Once had a game where I was playing as Cardassians, and had conquered most of the galaxy. Then a Borg cube arrived in dangerous proximity to my key systems, and I attacked it - it was destroyed but my fleet suffered heavy losses.

Then another cube arrived... and another... soon several cubes were wreaking havoc throughout my systems.

Cardassia fell along with the rest of my shipbuilding systems - as the last one was being decimated by a cube I flew a last cruiser out of it to join the fleet, and it was a rush with this last fleet I had to finish off the last of the Federation in order to win by being the last surviving power in the galaxy.

The fleet was chased by a cube at one point, before it lost interest and set about decimating some more planets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spock

the majority of franchise games arent that good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

BotF... Such a great game. That kept me occupied for months on end. There is so much detail in it, all the different buildings, research, energy, weapons etc. I found the Federation really hard to play with, although a fleet of 16 Defiants gave me the upper hand in vaporising some Cubes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Great Ambient music,cant remember much about the game though,except that i prefered Imperium Galactica 2 slightly more.

Damnit i am going to have to replay both games now

Goodbye Summer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I still play it :D Great fun multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

the majority of franchise games arent that good

Mm, so? Here we have an exception. Elite Force is another. With a sequel for that slated for release this summer...
    I still play it :D Great fun multiplayer.

Pity about those awful crashes that can occur midgame in multiplayer though - as I said, the potential for a bugfree, improved sequel is enormous. The combat, as well, was excellent in BOTF despite the dated graphics - imagine the modern day equivalent.

The crashes I can live with.. I only play on lan so the autosave at each turn helps. Yea Iv always wanted a sequel but I doubt we'll ever see one. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

oh its just my FAVOURITE GAME OF ALL TIME! :D

i play it every day, unfortunitly never played multiplayer :/

got some mods for it, which suck :)

You really should give multiplayer a try sometime ! Its bloody excellent :D

The only mod I played was the dominion one, which sucked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hmm never really go into it for some reason don't think i gave it enough time to get used to its complexities, might give it another go,

i've got star trek away team though and thats fairly crap.

yea its definately not a sit down for 5mins kinda game, much better than away team !
    Mind you I liked away team.. for the whole 20mins of gameplay it had.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

azezil, the planetary mod that raises the planetary pop levels is a great mo. Lets you have huge fleets like those of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I have the game and have always had problems with it

On win 98 and Me it would pack up and shut itself down near the end of a game

It wont even run on win xp
    The best game i had was where the Borg attacked.

I dont ever remember getting attacked by the borg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by fcddunne

I dont ever remember getting attacked by the borg
    turn on random events, hard and play as federation, they'll show up b4 turn 200 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Well I found a patch on the internet which allows me to play BOTF on windows XP now Im off to have a game of it for the first time in about six months

anyone looking can find the patch here

http://www.armadafleetcommand.com/~birthofthefederation/patches.htm

As you mentioned you were attecked by the borg in your game . In the mods section of this site there is a mod which allows you to BE the borg or the dominion

cool or what

BOTF works fine on XP. You just have to set the installer to win98 compatability mode. Theres a patch to make the game use direct3d instead of software mode.. Makes the battles run a bit smoother.

Advertisement