Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba Satellite P100 17" Core 2 Duo Laptop - €168 and Free Deivery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Cheap as chips laptop. Fine as a basic web browser, seriously lacking in everything else even the HD is only 100Gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Vista Home Premium?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Catalyst wrote: »
    Vista

Theres your problem right there

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

Yeah I'll says web browsing and emails, or as a laptop to play youtube videos for the kids maybe?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

6 year old spec surely?

That Dell which was posted yesterday in BA is most likely a lot better bang for buck. This must be old (ancient) stock....I don't even know where it would come from with spec like that! I wouldn't touch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

I saw a review for this model from 2006.

Having said that, it'd probably be OK for very basic stuff.

It will be handy for people with old DDR2 RAM and Hard Disks/SSDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

long_b wrote: »
    I saw a review for this model from 2006.

Having said that, it'd probably be OK for very basic stuff.

I was using a similar spec Sony laptop for AutoCAD up until recently

For the price this would be an adequate machine for most tasks, with the exception of 3D gaming or video editing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Are these new or refurbished ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Remove vista and install Ubuntu 14.04 and this would be decent for everyday use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Vista couldn't be any worse than windows 8 surely? Just slap xp on it anyways.

Are these new or refurbished ?

They are new

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I use my laptop for the most basic tasks...

Web Browsing, Youtube and sending invoices (via microsoft word) to clients.

That is it, apart from putting my photos on to it.

Would this yoke do a reasonable job for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Stick Linux Mint on it and it'd be grand ;)

mfceiling wrote: »
    I use my laptop for the most basic tasks...

Web Browsing, Youtube and sending invoices (via microsoft word) to clients.

That is it, apart from putting my photos on to it.

Would this yoke do a reasonable job for that?

Yeah it would do that easily ,it has a Core 2 Duo processor which is pretty decent.

For the vast majority of users any decent dual core cpu will be more than adequate for most tasks .
    The idea that you need a top end cpu is a myth .

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Doesn't seem to have a webcam but apart from that looks good to me.
    Catalyst wrote: »
    It will be handy for people with old DDR2 RAM and Hard Disks/SSDs.

Very true IMO.

This Sata SSD would do wouldn't it?
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2615595

I have this RAM. Any Reason I couldn't use it
    http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1442036661

Any issues installing WIN7?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

Yeah it would do that easily ,it has a Core 2 Duo processor which is pretty decent.

For the vast majority of users any decent dual core cpu will be more than adequate for most tasks .
    The idea that you need a top end cpu is a myth .

Core 2 duo processor is not decent, not what soever! It is a horrible horrible laptop for the price to be honest. 1GB of ram will also make your browsing on Vista terrible.

This laptop is new, has windows 8, a better processor and 4GB of ram with a 500 GB hard drive for 229.

Laptop is a complete pile of junk and a rip off. You have been warned lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

Can't post links but its the inspiron 15 inch on the dell website.

Core 2 duo processor is not decent, not what soever! It is a horrible horrible laptop for the price to be honest. 1GB of ram will also make your browsing on Vista terrible.

This laptop is new, has windows 8, a better processor and 4GB of ram with a 500 GB hard drive for 229.

Its a perfectly fine cpu for most tasks ,very little between the Core 2 Duo and the Dell one in benchmarks.

Saying that ,its an old laptop ,a 7 year old spec and not worth 168 euro ,you'd pick up a second hand one up on ebay pretty cheaply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

core2duo is no slouch at all for a cheap laptop

bit short on ram though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Would this play HD videos from USB etc? 17" screen is good

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

Wouldn't touch this laptop myself. I recently purchased the the Dell Inspiron 15 and it's not a bad piece of kit for basic stuff. It's currently €229, but you can get it for €206.11 with a 10% off VIP code available on www.publicsector.groupscheme.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Vista+ a single gig of ram---- Nah life's too short.... Much better deals out there for very little extra money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not a bargain by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, Core 2 Duo is still perfectly fine for most things, but this is pretty much the slowest Core 2 available, it would have been on the lower end of the scale...in 2006.

1GB of ram would need upgrading straight away.

For a little more the Dell has a better processor, but more importantly, a much bigger hard drive and a lot more RAM.

People on adverts regularly sell laptops much faster than this for considerably less. (2Ghz+ Core 2's with 2GB ram and 320GB hd, etc for about 150)

Personally I wouldn't touch this at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

evostik wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch this laptop myself. I recently purchased the the Dell Inspiron 15 and it's not a bad piece of kit for basic stuff. It's currently €229, but you can get it for €206.11 with a 10% off VIP code available on www.publicsector.groupscheme.com

Are you sure its 229€ less 10%
    I am looking on the dell site and cheapest I see is 259€ before discount?

Any links ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

davidm20 wrote: »

I have this RAM. Any Reason I couldn't use it
    http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1442036661

The Toshiba takes a slower transfer speed (PC2-5300 ie. 667MHz) but faster latency CL5. It might run your PC2-6400 module at that speed but I doubt it. Even unmatched size modules of the same type can be pernickety in these systems.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Absolutely. I would wonder how the battery has fared sitting idle all these years, I'd wonder if it even holds much charge at all too.
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Would this play HD videos from USB etc? 17" screen is good

I honestly think this machine will struggle playing HD movies, I have a feeling it will be able to play them smoothly enough, but it will get very hot and bothered when doing so. Think, fans blaring and hot to touch on the bottom of it.

Any modern machine, even the cheapest of the cheap will come with at least 2GB RAM(most actually have 4!). 500GB hard disk, and come with CPUs which are designed to handle HD movies and every day(by todays standards) tasks well.

Anyone looking at this, please avoid, it'd disappointment in a box. Honestly can't believe anyone would even try to sell these.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

I will suggest go for this http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-3531-laptop/pd?oc=cn53105&model_id=inspiron-15-3531-laptop
    Use group scheme to get 10% off with 1 year collect & return Dell warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Farnsworth wrote: »
    I will strongly suggest go for this http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15...15-3531-laptop
    Use group scheme to get 10% off, approx €206 with 1 year collect & return Dell warranty
    I will strongly suggest you check your link ;)

link fixed

And I'm surprised you have it in for €206 as you have it priced at €225 on the actual thread ( with the discount link ):confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

dodzy wrote: »
    I will strongly suggest you check your link ;)

link fixed

Sorry, that was copy pasted from previous post, fixed

Advertisement