Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

onda v972 any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

ordered the dual core version last year from http://www.onda-tablet.com/onda-v972-quad-core-9-7-inch-retina-screen-daul-camera-android-tablet-pc.html lovely tablet,get nearly 6 hours from the battery, bought a second one on amazon uk after that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Here's my thoughts on it from another post.

Got my V972 yesterday. So impressions so far are pretty good. Screen is stunning. Software is ok just have to delete all the Chinese apps off it. Not everything works off the play store, Chrome for example says its not compatible with the device. This will hopefully improve when a community gets going for the tablet. I've seen a root guide which should sort out a lot of OS bugs. Going to give this a go over the weekend if I get a chance. Wifi isn't great, probably about the same strength as my One X. The speakers are surprisingly very good and much louder than an Ipad 2. The headphone jack is poor, which I did read about after I bought it. Tried three sets of earphones last night and only my Shure ones would work. Tried a HTC pair and a Panasonic pair and both had chronic interference. When volume is off there is a hissing sound in the earphones. Still have a lot of messing about to do with it but so far pretty happy, battery life is about four ish hours so far, hope this improves after a few charges. Not happy with Spemall. com though. I ordered the black version and they sent me the white, not bothered sending it back but annoying none the less. They also never sent an Irish plug, least I had one lying around. I'll email them and see what they have to say but not holding out much hope.

After a bit more use the battery has improved, managed to get 7hrs 25mins with my last charge. Got it rooted over the weekend so all the Chinese stuff is gone and have a full play store .So overall very happy especially for the price.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Here's my thoughts on it from another post.

Got my V972 yesterday. So impressions so far are pretty good. Screen is stunning. Software is ok just have to delete all the Chinese apps off it. Not everything works off the play store, Chrome for example says its not compatible with the device. This will hopefully improve when a community gets going for the tablet. I've seen a root guide which should sort out a lot of OS bugs. Going to give this a go over the weekend if I get a chance. Wifi isn't great, probably about the same strength as my One X. The speakers are surprisingly very good and much louder than an Ipad 2. The headphone jack is poor, which I did read about after I bought it. Tried three sets of earphones last night and only my Shure ones would work. Tried a HTC pair and a Panasonic pair and both had chronic interference. When volume is off there is a hissing sound in the earphones. Still have a lot of messing about to do with it but so far pretty happy, battery life is about four ish hours so far, hope this improves after a few charges. Not happy with Spemall. com though. I ordered the black version and they sent me the white, not bothered sending it back but annoying none the less. They also never sent an Irish plug, least I had one lying around. I'll email them and see what they have to say but not holding out much hope.

After a bit more use the battery has improved, managed to get 7hrs 25mins with my last charge. Got it rooted over the weekend so all the Chinese stuff is gone and have a full play store .So overall very happy especially for the price.

thanks for that review
    any info on roms for it?
    also were you pinged for customs?(what postal service did your seller use?)
    ta
    john

seanin4711 wrote: »
    thanks for that review
    any info on roms for it?
    also were you pinged for customs?(what postal service did your seller use?)
    ta
    john

No roms as of yet but there is whispers of things moving. This tablet is identical to the Anoil Spark and Nextway F9X. So if a rom comes out for those chances are it will work on the V972. As I said, happy enough with Spemall.com, they answered emails quickly and shipped the tablet about 4 days after ordering. I did order the black one and they sent white, probably thought they were doing the right thing by getting the order out as quick as possible. I used the fedex shipping option, took 5 days and didn't get hit for customs. Spemall under declared the contents but fedex opened it anyway, they still passed it though. Anymore questions fire away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 redsovine

Thanks for the review aaronm13.

I've ordered one from Spemall and looking forwards to finally having it in my hands! Would you hav an update on how your getting on with the device?

Thanks

redsovine wrote: »
    Thanks for the review aaronm13.

I've ordered one from Spemall and looking forwards to finally having it in my hands! Would you hav an update on how your getting on with the device?

Thanks
    Still fairly happy with it. Really has some well reported stability issues though. The stock launcher seems to be the main culprit so I've uninstalled it and use Nova Launcher which has helped a lot. The device does hang quite a bit but tweaking setting does help. There was an update to the firmware released today so hopefully this will help with stability issues. I haven't updated yet as I'm not sure that I will loose root. Got a bill today from FedEx for 24 Euro, really thought I dodged that bullet.

Thanks for the update aaronm13 :)

The tracking at Fedex is still showing as 'initiated' and not picked up - I'm hoping the tablet is on the way!

How is your batery life going? I'm tempted not to root the device strait away and see if the firmware updates sort out the launcher problems etc.

How is the screen looking? That and the price are what drawed me in :)

Thanks again!

redsovine wrote: »
    Thanks for the update aaronm13 :)

The tracking at Fedex is still showing as 'initiated' and not picked up - I'm hoping the tablet is on the way!

How is your batery life going? I'm tempted not to root the device strait away and see if the firmware updates sort out the launcher problems etc.

How is the screen looking? That and the price are what drawed me in :)

Thanks again!

The screen is absolutely stunning but its a massive draw on the battery. I'm probably getting 6 to 6.5 hours out of a charge but did get 7.5 once. There is a power saving function supposedly on the V972 but Onda have't implemented it yet for some reason so we should be able to get a bit more life out of it then.

Probably try it out first and see how it works but rooting it is very easy but get rid of the launcher as soon as you can. When you root it defaults back to Chinese so make sure you know what buttons to press in settings to change back to English, I learned this the hard way. Think Fedex took 5 days to deliver from the time they picked it up from Spemall so not bad going.

still deciding on a quad core tablet
    can you please link to where you purchased?
    thanks

• Advertisement

I've had my V972 for 3 weeks now and absolutely love it. Screen is amazing and I can live with the 4-5 hr continuous use battery life.

The firmware that ships is dodgy though IMO. There are good custom roms coming out though - just make sure to uninstall the stock launcher as it's terrible.

In general I would highly recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Where did you guys buy from lads and did ye get caught for shipping?
    Gonna buy one v soon!

www.spemall.com

Have read mixed reviews of them online but it worked out fine for me. Didn't get stung for tax either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Milfhunter

I ordered phone from china, which is an real respected brand name (THL) and it got snatched up by customs to be sent off to samsung so they can verify its not a fake device. Just a heads up to be careful on ordering stuff from china.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 foresttodd

Hi all
    Does this tablet work with sky go?
    Thanks

No, only the following will work with Sky Go:

HTC Desire
    HTC Desire S
    HTC Desire HD
    HTC Incredible S
    HTC Sensation
    HTC Sensation XE
    HTC Desire X