Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Thread

• 26-03-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

uefa-euro-2012-logo.jpg

Feck it, there's 10 weeks to go and this great weather (along with the longer evenings) has me looking forward to days and nights like tonight when I'll be watching the European Championships, so I'm going to create this thread and we can talk about everything Euro 2012 in here up until the tournament starts, and who knows maybe this thread will still be going come June?

Anyway - to start off here's the groups:

euro2012_groups.jpg

Next, the fixtures:

euro-2012-chart.gif

The QF's will be as follows: Winner group A V Runner-up group B (match 25); Winner group B V Runner-up group A (match 26); Winner group C V Runner-up group D (match 27); Winner group D V Runner-up group C (match 28).

The SF's will be as follows: Match 25 V Match 27; Match 26 V Match 28

The final obviously needs no explanation :pac:

Looking at some ante-post bets:

I really fancy Germany for this at 7/2.

In the top goalscorer market I think there's really good e/w value in Hunteelar at 20/1. He was top scorer in qualifying with 10 goals. Klose is always there or thereabouts in major tournaments and can be got at 14/1 which could be worth a look too.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Think Germany will do it as well & get revenge on Spain in the final....Top Scorer is wide open but hard to look past RVP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Germany are my tip for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mario Gomez to get top scorer imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Tough to call.

If the Spanish strikers are on form, including that guy from Valencia, then they have to be favourites as they have a lot of class in goals, defence and midfield.

But Germany are looking strong.

Germany v Spain final but I tip France to have a good tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Eire to pull a Greece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'll get the predictions rolling shall I? :pac:

Group A:

Russia
    Czech
    Greece
    Poland

Group B:
    Germany
    Holland
    Portugal
    Denmark

Group C:
    Spain
    Italy
    Croatia
    Ireland :o

Group D:
    France
    England
    Ukraine
    Sweden

Holland to beat the Russia, Germany to beat the Czechs, Spain to beat England and France to beat Italy in the QF's.

Spain to beat the Holland in the SF and Germnay to beat France.

Spain then to win it out.

Subscribe for the lotto numbers ;)

I'd be surprised if either of the hosts didn't get through but I can't see which one. I think I'm correct in saying Poland are a shambles and Ukraine have a difficult group. Spain -vs- Germnay should make for a cracking final,provided they get there. I really fancy France to do something special, they have a lot to prove after the shambles of a WC and they have a very good squad. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they managed to get to the final. England might surprise people if Harry takes over, but they will get to the SF at best, he doesn't have the tactical awareness to win a major tournament. Portugal have shockingly hard group, how 3 of the best 10 teams in the world are together is very surprising.

As for Ireland, I can only see us picking up a point against the Croatians. I can't see any other result than a loss against Spain, but then look at Switzerland in the last WC, and as for Italy, they seem to have gotten themselves in order.

All will be revealed soon enough though. I'll be interested to see how accurate my predictions are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

Cant wait for this, have the first 2weeks of the tournament booked off in work. Hopefully be a real good vibe around the place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Eire to pull a Greece.

England to pull an England :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We will get out of the group :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

We'll top the group. Robbie Keane top scorer for the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

My predos in style of THFC's

Group A
    1. Russia
    2. Poland
    3. Greece
    4. Czech Republic
    Group B
    1. Germany
    2. Holland
    3. Portugal
    4. Denmark
    Group C
    1. Spain
    2. Croatia
    3. Italy
    4. Ireland
    Group D
    1. France
    2. England
    3. Sweden
    4. Ukraine
    Holland > Russia, Germany > Poland, Spain > England, Croatia > France

Spain > Holland, Germany > Croatia

Germany > Spain

I think Croatia will get through over Italy/France because I think there'll be a shock somewhere and I don't see it anywhere else (I'd not call Poland a shock, only Russia in their group are particularly good)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I think if Portugal can get out of Group B then I would fancy them to win it.

Have so much talent and if they can put it together, then they are very dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Finish the Leaving Cert the day Ireland play Spain. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Ireland will get out of the group,as they have done in 90,94,02.

We will inflict major revenge on Spain after robbing us in 02.

Positive thinking and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Here's hoping for some good weather here while its on and overall a great tournament. I really enjoyed 08. As for my tips. Have to say Germany to win, seem to be the real deal. Spain have no defence and will get caught out I feel. For an each way bet, I backed Turkey before the tournament in 08 and was oh so bloody close, I'll go for Croatia in this one. have a feeling about them

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Spain have no defence and will get caught out I feel.
    :eek: They conceeded 2 goals at the WC 2010, and none in the knockout stages. Their constant presure on the ball from all eleven players coupled with their possesion makes them one of the best defensive teams around imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

baz2009 wrote: »
    Finish the Leaving Cert the day Ireland play Spain. :cool:

I fly back from Spain the day of the Ireland Spain match :(

People are severely over-estimating Croatia I think. I don't rate Ireland at all, but Croatia aren't that great in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I don't think Ireland will get out of the group but I'm confident we will get a few points and maybe even a win (most likely v Italy).

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I fly back from Spain the day of the Ireland Spain match :(

People are severely over-estimating Croatia I think. I don't rate Ireland at all, but Croatia aren't that great in the slightest.

Are always good in the major tournaments. Kranjcar and Modric are quality, they're certainly better than us I feel.

THFC wrote: »
    :eek: They conceeded 2 goals at the WC 2010, and none in the knockout stages. Their constant presure on the ball from all eleven players coupled with their possesion makes them one of the best defensive teams around imo.

Tbh the rest of their team is so good their defence rarely has much to do. But if tested I feel they could come unstuck. Ramos has to be one of the worst defending full-backs I've seen was awful v England recently, Pique is a United reject good on the ball but poor defender, Puyol is committed and a great warrior but prone to the odd error and left back has been a problem position in the last few years.

• Advertisement

Are always good in the major tournaments. Kranjcar and Modric are quality, they're certainly better than us I feel.

Not really though, sure they didn't qualify for South Africa, didn't get through the groups in the 2 before it. Yeah they finished 3rd the one before that which was insanely impressive but they don't perform at all major tournaments.

Not really though, sure they didn't qualify for South Africa, didn't get through the groups in the 2 before it. Yeah they finished 3rd the one before that which was insanely impressive but they don't perform at all major tournaments.

On second thought you're indeed right. But they do have a good record of getting to major finals. Had a cracking Euro 08 too. A nice group in this tournament will suit them I feel.

On second thought you're indeed right. But they do have a good record of getting to major finals. Had a cracking Euro 08 too. A nice group in this tournament will suit them I feel.

They have a good record in the Euro's alright, QF's being a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

Great odds on paddy power for top scorer, van persie at 10/1 huntelaar at 20/1. Same team of course but cant complain with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I see the game against Spain as being one of those great performances, and if only matches, discussed about for years to come, like Euro 88 against Holland, Italia 90 against Italy, Spain WC 2002, and France in Paris in 2009.

I see us putting in a world class performance and the Spaniards nicking a flukey goal in the 80th minute or something.

Croatia and Italy are there for the taking though.

I wouldn't be surprised if we come out of the group. Both the Italian and Croatian managers seem to be overawed by Trap's reputation, they may end up tying themselves in knots tactically. Again positive thinking. Bring it on though.

Tbh the rest of their team is so good their defence rarely has much to do. But if tested I feel they could come unstuck. Ramos has to be one of the worst defending full-backs I've seen was awful v England recently, Pique is a United reject good on the ball but poor defender, Puyol is committed and a great warrior but prone to the odd error and left back has been a problem position in the last few years.
    Agree about Ramos, he seems to do well at CB though. Pique is not a United reject. This article is probably crap (only using it because it came up top in a google search), but it references how Fergie said he never wanted to lose Pique, and even if you google it plenty more will come up.
    Even still, Spain defence isn't their 4 players at the back, it's their whole team, which is what makes them so hard to score against. Look at any of their players when they don't have the ball, they hound the man in possesion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

The-Rigger wrote: »
    We'll top the group. Robbie Keane top scorer for the tournament.

If we had Messi and RVP up front Traps style would still have us having the lowest scoring total :pac:

Apart from Spain the other two teams are beatable. My main concern is that Italy simply cant afford not to get out of the group- it would be their third atrocious tournament in a row by that stage. Still- it has to be said, I reckon Italy and Croatia both fear Ireland more than they fear each other. Not to mention that we have drawn Italy twice and beaten them once in recent years in very tight matches. The Irish always travel in numbers- the stadium will be like a game in Landsdowne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

It'll be here before we know it...and gone before we know it.

Euro 2008 seems like yesterday, World Cup even sooner. I'm 25 now so getting to that stage. When I was a child a year was a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Jeez, group A is muck. I probably won't watch a single game in that one, excpet maybe to see a bit of the opening match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I find this happening a lot. Everyone that was on off the ball as guest presenters while Ken was away had us down to lose or at best draw against Croatia. Is everyone remembering the Croatia of 2009/10? They're not as good as they were, struggled to qualify (Turkey collapsed in the playoffs in the first game but were the better team over the 2 legs). I can't see us losing to them and think we could definitely snatch a win. It's for the taking. Spain is a no brainer which would set up the final match against Italy as a massive game. Fingers crossed!

Advertisement