Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has rooted/will be rooting their Desire?

Options
  • 29-04-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna root mine tommorrow as i'm getting sick of not having enough space to install apps. That and I want proper access to the market and i've always wanted to see how Debian Linux runs on Android!

Will you? 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    50% 6 votes
    Don't have Desire
    50% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Not sure... will I lose the Sense UI?

I would like market access but that's about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

JustinOval wrote: »
    Not sure... will I lose the Sense UI?

I would like market access but that's about it...
    Nope

You get the exact same rom as you get on a stock HTC Desire except with superuser permissions allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Scared to......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Well that will be a 'yes' then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

It'll be one of the 1st things I do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Might root when 2.2 comes out, or if someone releases a less messy root, not sure its worth it atm, gonna get a UK sim for paid apps for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Inquitus wrote: »
    Might root when 2.2 comes out, or if someone releases a less messy root, not sure its worth it atm, gonna get a UK sim for paid apps for now.
    Paul (The guy who developed the root) has made it very easy to do now. He's compiled a single image that you just boot up, open a shell and execute a script called step1 then a script called step2 to make it completely painless and easy to do. Much neater than the method he had up yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Definitely rooting my Legend the minute it hits. Can't wait to get customizing this baby

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Paul (The guy who developed the root) has made it very easy to do now. He's compiled a single image that you just boot up, open a shell and execute a script called step1 then a script called step2 to make it completely painless and easy to do. Much neater than the method he had up yesterday.

Cool, I was working off yesterdays news, will have a gander. As I see it market enabler is about the only major use for rooting right this minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Don't have one yet, but will probably be rooting it (once I'm fairly sure it's not gonna brick the phone) when I get one. Lack of paid apps and having to store them on an internal memory of about 500mb is stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I might wait until they get write access to the system partition. On the other other hand, good reasons to root:

MarketEnabler for us paddies
    WifiTether (not sure if this is available for the desire, nexus one build probably OK, too lazy to google)
    Overunderclocking
    Take screenshots

need +w on /system for these:
    Removing a bunch of stupid builtin icons like quickoffice
    Apps2sd
    Installing Debian
    and other geeky pursuits
    NANDROID
    and other backup solutions
    Remote Wipe
    Take pictures without camera sound
    you pervs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Im confused. Isnt android an open platform? Why to you need to "root" the device? You dont have root on it by default?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Wheres the not sure option? I'm going to wait and see. I'm happy enough for the moment but if there was some massive benefit of rooting I would consider it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Link please. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

CiaranC wrote: »
    Im confused. Isnt android an open platform? Why to you need to "root" the device? You dont have root on it by default?

The platform is not any vendor's implementation of it (eg HTC's). Sometimes they have some way of making this inaccessible for security, to stop rogue apps from deleting your phone and so on, but it always fails. The N1 was much easier to root. I don't think any manufacturer has ever actively tried to stop people (except the G1 where the root exploit was the infamous "phone executes everything you type in any application as root" bug)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Legend Rooted!!!

"As promised... Rooting goes LEGENDary! Enjoy! :-) http://bit.ly/bQfvm6"
    http://twitter.com/PaulOBrien/status/13085504489

Advertisement