Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public Servants email to the Taoiseach

• 20-02-2009 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Anyone else get this email that is currently doing the rounds? You gotta admit she has a point. Though at least she still has a job unlike many others.

Dear Taoiseach,
    >
    > My name is Deirdre Deegan. I’m a single mother. I’m also a public servant monster.
    >
    > I’ve obviously been bleeding the country dry without knowing it. I’m sorry.
    >
    > I know my annual wage of €29,000 is outrageously high and that’s why you need to take so much back. Sure I do a really good job but I know it’s not nearly as good a job as the bankers, corporate executives, politicians and developers who are much better at what they do.
    >
    > I work in an office in our public health service. Like my colleagues, I work beyond the hours I am paid for, because we know there is a patient in need of treatment at the end of everything we do. I would really appreciate it if you could explain something to me as you are so good at your job.
    > As you know I hand over a large amount of my take-home wage to the bankers and developers to pay for my house; to the finance company executives for the car loan as I had to move 34 miles to get an affordable home; in electricity; gas; childcare – so that I can work and pay my taxes. I know, it’s a bit of a luxury in these straightened times, but I also have to buy baby clothes, food and medicine for my daughter.
    >
    > My dilemma is I have no more money left to donate to you in the form of the pension levy you so reasonably ask for. I really want to do the right thing as I now know – because you and media have reminded me over and over – I have been a public sector scrounger. (How did I not see this before?!). Also, I’m worried about having nothing to spend in the corner shop and local businesses to boost the economy. Can you tell me how to do this? Thanks.
    >
    > Initially, when you demanded this levy, I was really upset. I was furious in fact. I thought everyone would have to share the pain as you so nicely put it. But now I see that it’s only monsters like me who have been irresponsible and greedy and have caused this crisis in Ireland. I can now see why I should be treated like dirt.
    >
    > Please reply when you get a break from delivering all our levy money to your nice friends in the banks.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Deirdre Deegan.
    >
    > P.S. I know we don’t deserve to go to Kerry but, if you wouldn’t mind, would you explain to Katie that you took the holiday piggy bank? Thanks.
    >
    > Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food
    >
    > The information contained in this email and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention and use of the intended recipient(s). This information may be subject to legal and professional privilege. If you are not an intended recipient of this email, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part of it. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this email from your computer system(s).
    >
    > An Roinn Talmhaíochta, Iascaigh agus Bia
    >
    > Tá an t-eolais san ríomhphost seo, agus in aon ceangláin leis, faoi phribhléid agus faoi rún agus le h-aghaigh an seolaí amháin. D’fhéadfadh ábhar an seoladh seo bheith faoi phribhléid profisiúnta nó dlíthiúil. Mura tusa an seolaí a bhí beartaithe leis an ríomhphost seo a fháil, tá cosc air, nó aon chuid de, a úsáid, a chóipeál, nó a scaoileadh. Má tháinig sé chugat de bharr dearmad, téigh i dteagmháil leis an seoltóir agus scrios an t-ábhar ó do ríomhaire le do thoil.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

Thats the letter one of the trade unions have been placing as their advertisements in the papers. Impact I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What is her point?

I don't believe many people are complaining about Public Servants who are paid a reasonable amount for the type of work they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

If she emailed this to the taoiseach how come you have a copy? Are you Mr Cowen RATM???:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,094 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Whatthe fcuk was she going to Kerry on holidays for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

crybaby email
    At least you have a job, reasonable job security, ring-fenced public pension..

Also as a public health worker in the heath service providing treatment to patients, why are you sending your email from the Dept. of Agriculture?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Whatthe fcuk was she going to Kerry on holidays for?

She obviously has mental problems. I think the e-mail should be brushed aside as the rantings of a crazy person.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

She works in an office of the "public health service" and mentions dealing with " patients in need" but the email is signed agriculture & fisheries board ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Does'nt she realise how expensive kerry was is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Oh she said she was a health worker I'm fairly sure to get more sympathy. Who wouldn't feel sorry for an overworked nurse, compared to a 9 to 5 pencil pusher in the Dept. of Agriculture??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

She works in an office of the "public health service" and mentions dealing with " patients in need" but the email is signed agriculture & fisheries board ?????

She probably copied and pasted.
    Lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I don't understand all the anti-public/civil servant comments. Yes they're lucky enough to have job security and a fairly secure pension, but until you retire neither of those makes two shíts of a difference to daily life. Just because a lot of people are losing their jobs shouldn't give the government free reign to take massive chunks of cash from their own workers, and it shouldn't mean that public sector workers lose their right to complain or bargain. Those two benefits aside, they have the same issues as any private sector worker.

If a private sector workers' pay was being cut by 5-9% are you telling me none of you would bat an eyelid? Obviously its different for the higher-paid civil servants but for the average worker on 30-50k a 5, 6, 7 percent pay cut is a lot iff you're juggling childcare, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

j1smithy wrote: »
    Oh she said she was a health worker I'm fairly sure to get more sympathy. Who wouldn't feel sorry for an overworked nurse, compared to a 9 to 5 pencil pusher in the Dept. of Agriculture??

Think of the fish! Won't someone please think of the fish!?

Without knowing her circumstances, how was it possible for a single mother to get a mortgage for a house on a salary of €29k pa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Fish need medical care too you know!!

Politicians should be taking a cut.€100,000 a year before expenses!Joke.

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    If a private sector workers' pay was being cut by 5-9% are you telling me none of you would bat an eyelid? Obviously its different for the higher-paid civil servants but for the average worker on 30-50k a 5, 6, 7 percent pay cut is a lot iff you're juggling childcare, etc.

Private sector wages are being cut or hours are being reduced.
    The public pension levy is being increased, so they will get this money back at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They shouldn't baby talk to Katie about the holiday piggy bank.

She'll grow up a wuss if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Private sector wages are being cut or hours are being reduced.
    The public pension levy is being increased, so they will get this money back at some point.

Forgive the pun, but I wouldn't put money on it. Either way, it makes fúck all difference until they retire. What use is extra cash when the kids are grown up and flown the nest, other than to waste on a holiday home or cruise and send us all back into the spiral of misery again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

IF it's there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Fish need medical care too you know!!

Politicians should be taking a cut.€100,000 a year before expenses!Joke.

And the rest, you should google the cabinet ministers salaries, not to mention how much its costing to feed the f.uckin pilsbury doughboy every week :mad::mad::mad:
    repo men and the caterers for leinster house are the only ones who wont be feeling the pinch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Thats not true. The pension contributions will increase but the return is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

She sounds like a stuck up bitch to be honest. Fair enough she can't afford to pay for stuff for her daughter which is unfortunate and pretty sad, but it's just like how someone put it in another topic the other day:

Everyone is for cuts, but no one is for anything that affects them.

We all know that the banks were greedy and irresponsible, but what can we do now?? It has happened, it's too late. We all know the Government have made disastrous decisions in the handling of this economic crisis, but again....past tense. Moaning about it and bringing it up all the time will not change that.

The simple fact is that Ireland has to borrow incredible amounts of money to pay for all these things, and demanding that bank executives resign or wages in the private sector are cut will not change that fact.

If she had written an e-mail stating how she's trying hard to make ends meet and having to pay the levy is the last thing she needs then I would have been thinking "yeah..she's right". But trying to somehow say that punishing bankers and developers is somehow going to make this mess go away and make the need for government spending cuts also go away is ridiculous, and she's clearly a clueless person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I wonder how many people fell for that sob story of an email. At least she is guranteed a bloody job. What about the person in a comparable situation in the private sector? Job security? Most likely also getting a pay cut. Pension wiped out. Biggest pile of crap i've read for a while, not suprising when it comes from the unions.

Eh private sector workers are facing massive pay cuts. Also facing the fact that a lot of pensions have gone through the floor, no guranteed pension in the private sector. No gurantee of a job.

I also hate this notion that the higher paid get of lightly with tax- http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=nav-qqqid=39389-qqqx=1.asp would seem to discount that myth.

Banker bailout shock headlines isn't getting us anywhere at this moment in time. Yes, certain people need to answer questions but that shouldn't the priority at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

If she hadn't been wasting her money going to Kerry then she'd be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

My name is Deirdre Deegan. I’m a single mother. I’m also a public servant monster. Well you are also a slut, if you kept your legs closed or held on to the father of your child you would have less things to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Mrmoe wrote: »
    My name is Deirdre Deegan. I’m a single mother. I’m also a public servant monster. Well you are also a slut, if you kept your legs closed or held on to the father of your child you would have less things to worry about.

At the beep, the time will be 'year 2009'. *BEEP*

That is all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If she emailed this to the taoiseach how come you have a copy? Are you Mr Cowen RATM???:eek:
    Nope RATM has a fair number of posts here, yet Boards hasn't fallen apart and chugs along nicely so on that basis I reckon he isn't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Must say I'm rather surprised to see an email from a public sector employee, I thought to paid consultants to do all their hard work and distance themselves from any hard decisions.

I do not believe the mail is true, nothing but propaganda and 'Fishy' in more ways than one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

I don't understand all the anti-public/civil servant comments. Yes they're lucky enough to have job security and a fairly secure pension, but until you retire neither of those makes two shíts of a difference to daily life. Just because a lot of people are losing their jobs shouldn't give the government free reign to take massive chunks of cash from their own workers, and it shouldn't mean that public sector workers lose their right to complain or bargain. Those two benefits aside, they have the same issues as any private sector worker.

Private sector worker are actually taking a 10% pay cut in many companies and there is no body lobbying for them. Its take the pay cut or loose your job and for most people they would rather earn 10% less than loose their job. Also everyone nearly in the private sector has to pay their own pension ALL of the time! If i retired in 40yrs all thats waiting for me is the state pension unless i contribute to my own pension like many others. I know its tough on the public sector workers, but its only a few yrs and they will probably stop contributing in a few yrs. The private sector on the otherhand will always have to contribute to their pensions.

Private sector staff have paycuts or gone to part time work to save their companies why shouldn't public sector workers have to make some sacrafics to save the country too? MTC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

9 tp 5 me hole , the dept of agricututre office hours are 9.30 to 4.30 with a break for lunch from 12.30 to 2 pm and never a bigger bunch of slackers have you ever met

was born on a farm , regular help out on my brother place , deal with dept of ag regulary in my day job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Without knowing her circumstances, how was it possible for a single mother to get a mortgage for a house on a salary of €29k pa?

She bought an affordable house! Its in the post.

Advertisement