Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The recession fridge in Tesco.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

This 'recession fridge' should be renamed 'lazy bastards fridge'.

Vegetables aren't expensive. Buy a ton of them and some meat and you're golden. And set aside some time for preparing decent food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

They have pheasant in LIDL now.

I are an aristycrat.

I thought you said pleasant, but that's not happening any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Would usually be the first shelf in the supermarket I look at. Have gotten steaks for under a euro, extra lean aberdeen angus mince for 50/60c, chicken breasts for 40c etc. on a regular basis.

It can also be great for trying things or adding luxuries you'd go without at their full price (regularly get the Gu key lime pies from that section in our local tesco - NOM!)

The best, however, is when you're there on the "broken crate" day in the Tesco Off-license. I've bought cases of beer that have a single punctured can (so the cardboard has been damaged) for under a tenner, cans and bottles that have come out of multi-packs for 20/30c a piece. Once nailed the timing and got a trolley full of beer for under €50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Roadkill is what all the thrifty folk are eating now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

280 kilos = 280 kilo bags of sugar? Well, I'll be darnded

Wow..a 2 kilo bag would last me ages.

Bad Panda wrote: »
    This 'recession fridge' should be renamed 'lazy bastards fridge'.

Vegetables aren't expensive. Buy a ton of them and some meat and you're golden. And set aside some time for preparing decent food.

You still need to go to the supermarket to buy the grub!. But on the other hand, anyone with a job could probably afford fresh food.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Beesand

Sleepy wrote: »
    The best, however, is when you're there on the "broken crate" day in the Tesco Off-license. I've bought cases of beer that have a single punctured can (so the cardboard has been damaged) for under a tenner, cans and bottles that have come out of multi-packs for 20/30c a piece. Once nailed the timing and got a trolley full of beer for under €50!

I'm going to be staking out the local Tesco now waiting for this to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

It's actually called the tight cunts fridge.

Oh wow cool how much are they? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

looksee wrote: »
    Great bargains in Tesco, salmon fillets (2) for 20c, got 4 and froze them, we are still alive! Lovely lamb cutlets too for half price, nothing wrong with them. Eat same day or sling straight into freezer.
    Gawd! I read over your post really quickly and for a second thought it said the salmon were still alive - eek! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

280 kilos = 280 kilo bags of sugar? Well, I'll be darnded
    280 kilos of hammers is heavier than 280 kilos of feathers ya know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I've never seen anything decent in it or marked down a great deal. Usually just veg and not parked down much at all and still over priced. I guess I need to improve my timing but I am not dedicated enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I was in Tesco in Bray and found the fridge there.
    Decided to stock up my freezer- 20chicken breasts, 4 steaks, 4 angus burgers and 4 pork chops. Came to €20, happy days and I'm sorted for food the next month

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHateMondays

There's no shame in being frugal.

Being wasteful is what's shameful imho.

exactly, I agree, I've got some unreal bargins in Tesco in that section..

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

I got two litres of Marks and Spencer not from concentrate Valencia orange juice the other day for 75c!

They had display till the 3rd of March use by the 7th.

I drink a litre of juice a day so it was a complete score.

Theres a certain tesco express in Dublin where the normal clientele don't like avocados, fancy humus or whole meal pitas. Lunch every day on the cheap!

Noym!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I got some basil in tesco for 4c

didn't eat it , but the fridge smelt great for the next week :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Freegan's eat for free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Monday and Tuesday are always the best days to shop because whatever they didn't sell on the major busy days such as ready meals or meat is reduced those two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I just catch the mice and eat them... free to get, easy to catch and taste delicious fried with a bit of butter and gravy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

I hate that fcuking fridge!!

sarahbro wrote: »
    I hate that fcuking fridge!!
    Why, can't you get to it quick enough! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

A fridge too far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

The Oyster loaf that Lidl do now are yummy when freshly baked, great with a bowl of soup or spaghetti or the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wyndham wrote: »
    A lot of the stuff is weird that I wouldn't eat for free. Like today there were pork meatballs in sauce that were originally on sale for €4.99 reduced to 50c.
    Meatballs in sauce??!? That is some crazy sh¡t, what will those whackjobs think of next!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I drink a litre of juice a day so it was a complete score.

Drink water. Fruit juice, in that kind of quantity, is as bad for the teeth as Coca-Cola. Acid erosion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tourism

I find it to be very expensive as in some cases they only take a few cents off. Dunnes Recession Fridge is a lot cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

I think you feel better too when you get something a bit cheaper and feel like you have got a bargain. It is also good to see how it tastes rather that pay the full price for something you wont like

Advertisement